24 coaches online • Server time: 03:40
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Lamoron

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 11:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
The extra AG also helps you when you need to make that insane pass with the passer standing in two enemy tackle zones, so you'll probably want it anyway. Think about picking up that ball in that huge cage and then throwing it out. Pretty nice I'd say.

On the pickup yes, on the throw no.
The two Tacklezones will impart a -2 modifier to the throw, making a short pass fumbl on 1-3, no matter the AG.

- Short Pass AG 6 with 2 TZ = Fumbl 1-3, Accurate 4-6
(Would be accurate 3-6, but 3 is a Fumbl)

- Short Pass AG 5 with 2 TZ = Fumbl 1-3, Accurate 4-6
(with Accurate Skill, Fumbl 1-2, Accurate 3-6)

See? If not, read the others posts in this thread.

So the AG 6 would be better at picking up the ball in TZ, but throwing would be better left to the AG5 with Accurate.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 12:00 Reply with quote Back to top

BadMrMojo wrote:
Beat you to it, I.R.
FUMBBL Academy

I haven't actually done anything with it yet but once I have time (yeah right...), I intend to try to start actively recruiting both beginning and experienced coaches.

Sorry to drag this off topic, Lamoron.

ps. Canes are bad because they leave permanent damage, kcbv. I was gonna stick with a ruler to the knuckles, nun-style. Razz

That is a very good idea.

I often play games with inexperienced coaches and they mention they have basically been exploited by other coaches, usually in Ranked.

I'll be referring them to the Academy in future - it would be worth adding a link in the beginner's guide.

Even if it is not particularly active it draws beginners to Unranked where people will look after them instead of kill their team while they continuously turnover in Ranked.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Umm...I am not convinced about BadMRMojos answer. Unless it was strictly in relation to the client as opposed to tabletop. With AG 6 if you ROLL a 2 when attempting a Long Pass I would see it as accurate. The wording in LRB is that "a 1 BEFORE modification always fails..." but it goes on with the following language "If the final modified score equals or beats the REQUIRED ROLL (emphasis mine) then the pass is accurate" It DOESN'T say if the modified score equals a 1. Given that a player with AG6 has a "required roll" of 1 then it only follows that 2-1=1=accurate.
But I also note that stats can only increase 1 point in the vault rules so this AG 6 biz will become moot. But for now I would still have to award the AG 6 Elf with an accurate pass if he rolled a 2 (and wasn't in a TZ of course)

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Fumbles (page 22)

"To represent this, if the dice roll for a pass is 1 or less before or after modification, then the thrower has fumbled and dropped the ball."

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm with ozjesting, seen it explained in the vault by (I think) galak this way

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 15:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Well... the vault rules isn´t official yet the living rulebook is... SO an modified 1 is still a fumbl.

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 15:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Rimmer, quoting the LRB, with me adding emphasis wrote:
Fumbles (page 22)

"To represent this, if the dice roll for a pass is 1 or less before or after modification, then the thrower has fumbled and dropped the ball."

^
What he said...

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye...my mistake...i WAS READING from page 23 (Landing). Sorry. BUT given the language one can assume a a modified 1 would be GOOD if needed for a landing Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Um, if the thrower has accurate, then the modifiers cancel each other out on a long pass, and since that was the topic creator's question, whether an AG 6 with accurate can throw the ball on a 2 or not (or maybe someone else brought this up), then the answer is yes, because 2-1+1=2. Modification doesn't stop with the pass roll, so Accurate in this case would be a help.

JoeKano

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

um, yeh what pred said .

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
I'd say a dodge/sure hands/AG6 thrower would be a REAL pain in the a**...

well... block, tackle and he is gone! POW!!! Twisted Evil

marco

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Problem is he would dodge from anywhere to the ball, pick up the ball no matter where, and pass the ball wherever he likes.

Then you can blitz him if you like... Very Happy

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 18:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Want to clear up someting: in the vault, fumbles have not changed, so it's still a fumble on a 1 before or after mods.

Also, as of version 1.6 of the vault, stats can be increased by 2 (again) (with a max stat of 10)

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Perhaps I'm in a mistake... but i think that the modified roll of 1 is fumble if the target is not 1 or 0, just like dodging a prehensil tail opponent with a AG5 dodger (u'd get it with a 2-> TARGET 1: 2-1=1 dodged)... i think that u have to look first at the target (if the roll is not an unmodified 1) and then, if u failed, see if u have a scatterd pass or a fumble due to the modified result, just like any other action die...

GL n HF
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Sep 27, 2004 - 19:24 Reply with quote Back to top

pred_dachande wrote:
Um, if the thrower has accurate, then the modifiers cancel each other out on a long pass, and since that was the topic creator's question,

Original post wrote:
...in this case AG 4 with no other skills.
With AG5: ...
With AG6: ...

I think he was asking without the Accurate skill... although the word "accurate" came up about a zillion times in there to describe the pass (but not the skill).

Pred wrote:
...whether an AG 6 with accurate can throw the ball on a 2 or not (or maybe someone else brought this up), then the answer is yes ... so Accurate in this case would be a help.

Exactly.

Pulpo wrote:
...i think that the modified roll of 1 is fumble if the target is not 1 or 0, just like dodging a prehensil tail opponent with a AG5 dodger (u'd get it with a 2-> TARGET 1: 2-1=1 dodged)...

That's correct for the dodge, but not for passing. As mentioned above by Rimmer - and quoted straight from the LRB - it is a special rule for passing. It makes AG3 players with accurate into better passers than AG4 players without it.

It's a (slightly clunky) mechanic to make Throwers better at passing than agile linemen.

Jump to: