17 coaches online • Server time: 04:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How do you feel about ageing
Absolutely HATE it! Let's get rid of it...
48%
 48%  [ 116 ]
Keep it. It keeps the ballance right...
47%
 47%  [ 114 ]
I don't know/care
3%
 3%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 239

Flynn

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 13:21 Reply with quote Back to top

ive always thought that aging should be based on number of games played
but thats just my 2 cents
it makes more sense to me because it actually has something to do with how old the player is (AGE) and it prevents your shiny new players from getting totally screwed and innevitably cut
but again, thats just my opinion
and everytime anyone has ever asked me about aging thats what ive said, and every time from now on thats what ill say

Goodbye Cusi
R_Spiskit

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 13:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If you hate aging, check out the playtesters vault rules on the GW site. They are many many times better, and i have 70 vault games to back that up.
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Thrall wrote:
ive always thought that aging should be based on number of games played
but thats just my 2 cents
it makes more sense to me because it actually has something to do with how old the player is (AGE) and it prevents your shiny new players from getting totally screwed and innevitably cut
but again, thats just my opinion
and everytime anyone has ever asked me about aging thats what ive said, and every time from now on thats what ill say

It is logic. I thought so too. But, on the other hand, think about a lizardman team. The saurus are slow learners, many of them would age before they get they first skills. (well if it's an ag drop it doesn't matter Wink )

Laviak

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

personally, i think that aging works fine - yes it is annoying, but it helps keep the agile players from getting 'too good' - less agile players tend to take longer to earn their SPP's, and are therefore more likely to get injured simply from being on the pitch for so many games.
Mithrilpoint

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 14:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I like ageing as it is. It´s all about game mechanics that keeps TR down, aint got nothing to do with fluff. Of course it´s annoying when an expensive player age on first skill roll, but i still like ageing.

Merry Christmas

M

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 14:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Laviak

I would like to disagree with you. Agile players do indeed gain SPP's at a faster rate than the more bashy players. This is however allready compensated by the fact that agile players in general have lower AV's and will thus die/cripple faster.

Ageing is not needed to further reduce the strength of agility teams. Why else would most tr200 agility teams rather not play average tr 200 Dwarf/orc or Chaos teams? not because the agile teams are "afraid to win" I guess...
Laviak

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 14:52 Reply with quote Back to top

What I actually meant to say (perhaps it came out wrong) is that aging seems to slow down advancement of agile players more than bashy ones. It takes a whole lot longer for a black orc to get the same number of SPPs as an elf catcher. Sure, the elf catcher has a pretty good chance of getting injured, but the orc has to get through a lot more games to catch up. Aging (kinda) evens this up a bit, forcing more of a cycling through of players.
Mmm ... maybe I should think things through a bit better before posting --- someone's going to have a field day tearing all my arguments to pieces. Very Happy

Bascrebolder wrote:
Why else would most tr200 agility teams rather not play average tr 200 Dwarf/orc or Chaos teams? not because the agile teams are "afraid to win" I guess...

Also, I suspect it's not so much being afraid of losing ... but being afraid of suffering permanent injuries on their favourite player(s). People tend to get pretty attached to their ST4, AG5 wardancer ya know Confused. For some reason, there is a general idea that playing against 'bashy' teams is bad for the health (i don't know that this is actually accurate though...) Razz

---------------------------------

Having just had a read of it ... the methor used in div x to keep TR down doesn't look all that bad. Of course, I can't say from experience .. but maybe some of the div x coaches could comment?

The one thing that worries me is the possibility of ending up with a debt that is impossible to pay back Laughing
Topper

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well guys, most of U think of ageing to represent ...age.
Well it´s not right, it´s to represent old injuries coming up again.
And just think of all the promising prospects in fx. soccer or american football,
who stopped early due to injuries.
Besides ageing is important in leagues to keep the TR on approximately same level.
Atleast that´s how I see it.
nazerdemus

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Something to consider is that as well as aging faster , agile teams take more injuries on the pitch and so have to replace players far more often than bash teams , so are more likely to fold , I think it would good to have an ageing roll every 10 games starting at 3+ , this would make it more viable to run a non bash team
r3

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 15:39 Reply with quote Back to top

To go with what Topper said, aging isn't really supposed to represent aging alone, but it's not supposed to represent injuries in the same way that Topper said. Mostly young pro athletes who are injured suffer those injuries on the field, but you could think of aging as practice injuries, or maybe someone who doesn't take care of themselves off the field. I'm a little old, but two examples that jump out at me are David Thompson (basketball) and William "The Refrigerator" Perry (american football). More modern, look at Ryan Leaf, Akili Smith, R. Jay Soward, Jason Peter... first round picks, guys with boatloads of physical talent, but for one reason or another they couldn't hack it in the league. If you really want to think about them as injuries, then I suggest you think about them as practice injuries or off-field injuries... like the Jacksonville Jaguars punter who nearly cleaved his leg off last year with an axe. Something like that.
Wotfudboy

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 16:11 Reply with quote Back to top

We should be able to take out medical insurance on our better/more expensive players! Razz That way, a 100k player niggles after 6SP we can recoup some of the money! Razz Razz

...am I being serious??... Very Happy

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

My dearest player:
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1383542
2 nigglings due to ageing.
He has never been hurt.
You all can imagine i love this stupid rule Laughing
MorbidDeath

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 17:21 Reply with quote Back to top

I bloody love ageing.

Nothing better than having your AG4 orc thrower get a niggle on his second skill - I wait for it every time.

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 17:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Stop whining, play dx, problem solved.
Frankie

Post   Posted: Dec 24, 2004 - 17:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Divx doesn't give me the "official" feeling. Ageing suxx! Just another chance for Nuffle to screw up one's chance to build a fair team. I have a chaos team which's two veteran CWs both aged at 31 spp-s. And to make it even more bitter, one of them got a double six. Confused
 Jump to: