82 coaches online • Server time: 20:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...goto Post Updated star player ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Vero

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 17:09 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
Well statistics are biased more or less somehow most of the time anyway.
Many of the Top10 players in the "MVP"-charts are playing 4ball.

And many of the top10 blockers are playing stunty......
Nordmark

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 17:24 Reply with quote Back to top

A comp is a comp, a td is a td and a cas is a cas. To do it any ither way would be silly. Then you should take away the oneturners, the claw/rsc and the ag6érs because they do what they do best more easily than yourself...Do what you will of the top ten.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 17:41 Reply with quote Back to top

not the point...

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 17:43 Reply with quote Back to top

vanGorn wrote:
Well statistics are biased more or less somehow most of the time anyway.
Many of the Top10 players in the "MVP"-charts are playing 4ball.

And just wait until the 1v1 leagues get really going Smile

Tor_AlKir

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 17:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I think that was your point exactly. You took all the time to calc what teams the player played and made your 'brilliant' observation that the races he played was the direct and only reason he had that many CAS. Do the TDs that the NE Patriots score not count when the play the lowly Miami Dolphins or does Manchester Utd. not have goals count when they play a team at the bottom of their league?
Darkwolf

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Does Wayne Gretsky's goal scoring record not count because he scored a whole bunch of goals on the Vancouver Canucks goalie Richard Brodeur? Good point Tor..

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 18:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Um, Tor, the Patriots lost to the Dolphins the last time they played them.... Wink I amuse myself by manipulating the top 10. He may not be the best blocker, but he's up ther on the best Active Ranked Human Thrower Blocker List!!!!! Kevin O' the Glen rocks!!!

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 18:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Ash wrote:
Azurus wrote:
Maybe the people who write this stuff just have no idea how to play defence.

LOL wanna try me?

No. Be serious, their is a lot of game elf between elf that end 5-4 or 4-3...
I m ok with you, it s weird but there is a lot of them... don t know how to play defense? not the point, they don t want to play defense, defense does not bring SPPs if you see what I mean...

It's actually probably more due to the simple fact that playing defense with elves is pretty hard when facing elves. The fact that most elf players want to stay 1 square from the opponent combined with the high agility means that you almost never face a serie worse than: 2+ (rerollable due to pass), 2+ (rerollable due to catch), 3+ (rerollable due to dodge), 2+ (rerollable due to dodge or reroll) to score.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 19:07 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess my point was actually that I judge it for myself. I mean, Kevin is on the list for human throwers for CAS and TD. He also has a decent number of comps, and is presently at 55 SPP with NO MVPs. I like him. I'm proud of what I've done with him so far. Who cares if he's not at the top?

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 19:18 Reply with quote Back to top

NO it s not a good point...
When you play a league like NFL, you re playing against ALL the other team so the statistics are done for each team on the same situations (same opponements, same number of game against each opponement and so on).

When I took a look at the stats I filter by league (Ranked), Race (dark elf) and active player....
My point is i want to have a filter like Opponement AV > n or a diversity factor to reflect the diversity of the opponement...

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 19:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, you can go on and on with statistics, no matter how much you get you can always get more. But at some point you gotta stop cause if you get too many each one become less and less interesting. I'm fine with the current ones.

btw. each and every player on fumbbl is unique so everyone is no1 in some area.
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

no1 failer of take root rolls...yay!
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 20:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Ash, you have. You have filtered by AV. An Appropriate real life example would be in a sports league, looking at the all-time records. You can say that, technically, One player or coach has the best stats. However, people will still argue about which one is "Really" the best due to circumstances of play. Who they played against, minor rules changes, what kind of a team they had (a good quarterback looks better with good receivers) Realistically, if you want perfection, we should filter for number of guards on team (giving more opportunities to knock down). In Fumbbl, like in life, the plain stats are the plain stats. If you want to say that more balanced players are better, or those who played tougher opponents are better, than go ahead. The stats remain the stats.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 20:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Taffsadar wrote:
It's actually probably more due to the simple fact that playing defense with elves is pretty hard when facing elves. The fact that most elf players want to stay 1 square from the opponent combined with the high agility means that you almost never face a serie worse than: 2+ (rerollable due to pass), 2+ (rerollable due to catch), 3+ (rerollable due to dodge), 2+ (rerollable due to dodge or reroll) to score.

Heh, this is probably why I'm seeing things differently to you guys. I play a much more aggresive defence than that (probably why I can't keep a full team together). I'd be really mad at myself if I let the opposition get into a situation where they only needed rolls like that to score.

Post   Posted: Apr 12, 2005 - 20:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Webbe wrote:
Yes, you can go on and on with statistics, no matter how much you get you can always get more. But at some point you gotta stop cause if you get too many each one become less and less interesting. I'm fine with the current ones.

btw. each and every player on fumbbl is unique so everyone is no1 in some area.

/me drinks to Webbe.

I really, genuinely mean absolutely no offense when I say this, so I hope it doesn't come across badly.

Redefining the top 10 so that you can make it into the top 10 cheapens it as a whole. I'm not trying to accuse the original poster of anything but at least we can see how there's an inherent bias in trying to filter out other games and players because it's not the way you play... right?

I'd rather not be on the list (as is currently the case, now that I think about it...) than be number 8 just because I got them to redefine the list as only players whose first games were on the Monday after a full moon and whose average AV against >9 and without having used any GFIs being after labor day. Whew.

Just let it go, ya know? No need to devote the energy to the argument, if you ask me.

Jump to: