100 coaches online • Server time: 22:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Exempt teamsgoto Post All Star Bowl!goto Post 7s for fummbl?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 22:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess it's about time to post some results for the Terrifying Anarchists:

1. Terrifying Anarchists 1 Dark 2
Casualties caused: Anarchists 1 BH 2 SI Dark 2 BH
Match Points 5

2. Terrifying Anarchists 2 Farwood Fire 2
Casualties caused: Anarchists 3 BH 1 SI Fire 2 BH
Match Points 10 points

Now that I've posted, I'll weigh in on the debate that's raging around EMU. I think it's great if it encourages rivalries and role playing. It could do that but in it's present form it looks like it will encourage kill-that-elf-ball. Perhaps fun for some people but awfully upsetting to many others. From a purely utilitarian philosophy this would result in an overall decrease in Bentham units (silly philosophy joke). In other words, it will turn off more players then it is worth.

My suggestion would be to tweak your scoring formula. It should be worthwhile for an elf team to play an EMU team. The EMU team should have something to lose. Thus penalties should apply if you suffer casualties. How embarassing to die at the hands of an elf =) You should be penalised at the same rate as you are rewarded for casualties. You should also earn as many points for a win as you lose for a loss. I like the 5 points you set but I'd change it to 0 for a tie and only give points for TDs if you score more then the elves otherwise you'll just get points for showing up. And the winner would just be the one who's played the most games versus elves, which is nothing to brag about.

If something along these lines is implemented, I'll stick around. Otherwise, I'll leave it to EMU to bash elves and piss off a bunch coaches.

As Always,
Evolve To Anarchism

P.S. My revised scores would look like:
Anarchist vs Dark -2 pts
Anarchists vs Fire 3 pts
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 26, 2003 - 22:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Didn't read the previous two posts eh evo? Smile

In case anyone else does the same.. let me repeat.. EMU has been shut down.

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 00:46 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:
Basically kids, its done. I know none of you are going to want to swap your high rated teams into a tourny division that so limits playing opportunities. As a result, after talking to Christer, the group has been disbanded as its no fun if we are not allowed to track and report our performance.

Can't say I'm happy with this. I believe this was a fun idea that could've created some excitement for both sides of view, but I gotta go with the boss.

For the 21 teams that signed up for EMU I apologize for wasting your time and getting you stoked up about this idea. But the good news is you can go out there and mangle elves on your own time now. As everyone knows the gods created elves to be squishy Smile EMU may no longer exist in official capacity, but lives on in the hearts and minds of piling on, rsc, Rat Ogres everywhere!

Thanks for the ride. We had a couple days of fun with this at least!

Since this will no longer be used as a results thread, please feel free to complain, cheer, scream or whatever you would like.

I find this defeatist attitude proves Mnemon's point more than anything. If you were truly serious about this "EMU" and the "roleplaying" that you claimed it promoted you would continue in the tourny Division. How? you ask. How can we possibly do it, what elf team in thier right mind would join?

A. You switch to Evo's scoring system, although I think all Bashy teams should be punished even more harshly for Cas against. A BH to a bashy team should negate a Kill on an elf. While rewarding the Most points for Wins vs Elves, and Touchdown scored vs. Elves.

B. You require all entrants to enter two teams. One elf team, one other team. They can pull thier old one's or create new one's, it doesn't matter.

C. You score the Bashy and Elf teams differently. Elves get the most points for doing what they do best, and bashy teams get the most points for what they do best. Points should be halved if the game was lost.

D. At the end of, say, a month, you take the Elf team with the most EMU points, and have it play the Bashy team with the most EMU points, for the "EMU pride cup." Roleplaying being that bashy teams are fighting for the cup, and elves are trying to deny them the cup.

You maintain the rivalry, and roleplaying, without the stupid Hunting of Open teams. I think even Mnemon could support this. It assures that people are actually roleplaying, since they are on both sides, instead of just powergaming, and it continues to promote the rivalry that this EMU was supposedly based off of.

Asperon Thorn
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Not a bad idea Asperon... not really a defeatest attitude imho, its just that any change in order to make this work doesnt work with EMU as it is right now. I was kinda ticked earlier and just decided to scrap the whole thing.

Gimme a bit, and i'll post a new EMU vs EDL tournament. Kinda removes the "bounty hunter" flair that I liked so much with EMU, but I'll see if anyone is interested. On the upside... now the EMU teams can really slather, roar, beat their chests etc., without anyone getting picked (and the EDL elfs can taunt, smirk etc. with glee).

Gives me something to do tonight anyway. Nuffle has not been overly kind to me on the pitch last couple of games Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 02:20 Reply with quote Back to top

This is not over yet. There is still quite a bit of discution on the subject going on among the admins. One important thing that those who are against this group seem to be missing is that if there is a list of the people who want to kill your elves it is a whole lot easier to avoid them then isn't it?

The Finishing Touch
AsperonThorn

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 02:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I would assume the list would be very similar to the one that would join the Tourney Div. My main concern is how this new rule will effect the ANARCHIST tourney. Although I haven't been playing a bunch of Anarchist matches recently, or very many matches at all, I would definately have to drop out, if that was restricted to the Tourney Div. The similarities between the two groups, (with very different goals) is too close for one to be reasonably excluded and the other not.

I do favor my idea (of course) of moving it to the tourney as I suggested, simply because it puts more players in the shoes of elves. Many "elf-hunters" don't know what it is like to be on the recieving end, and that is why they don't feel any sympathy. And it promotes the "roleplaying" that has been the shield of this group all along, for it is hardly "roleplaying" if someone is only going to be onesided about it, that is more of living thier real life, sick fantasy. The same fantasy that drives Barbarians to hunt down Hardcore Diablo 2 characters. And laugh with glee when they cut down a character that has just spend the last 3 months building up.

Asperon Thorn
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 02:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmmm... well.. I'll work on a new idea tonight then... and hold off until I hear a concrete answer before doing anything else. I'm kinda half excited about Aperon's idea anyway but we'll see.

If anyone has an opinion on where to take this let me know, as being good at scaming good ideas is half the key to greatness Smile

Oh one thing. I think most "Elf-Hunters" do understand about elves dying on them. Half the reason we play the bashier teams is because we cant resist that simple urge to stick a poor lineman in front of that ogre Smile As elf coaches know.. thats a dead elf... as opposed to a dusty and grass stained orc or dwarf.

Rest easy brothers, the EMU shall roar once more! (If in a more politically-correct form).

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

BunnyPuncher wrote:

Oh one thing. I think most "Elf-Hunters" do understand about elves dying on them.

I will disagree with you on that. Many long time Bloodbowlers do, yes. Many people on fumbbl have just started thier Bloodbowl experience here, and have a limited understanding of a lot of the concepts. One of the first things they learned was that PO RSC tears through elves. And stopped learning from then on.

Asperon Thorn
Mr-Klipp

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 02:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Exactly. There is no problem with meta leagues, and it apears to me that a more or less unrelated rule was used to shut down a group that someone disagreed with. To me it boils down to this. If you enjoy playing the game to crack some heads and maybe score a td or two along the way, that is fine, and fully supported in the background and story of the game. I feel that lighter teams don't have a reason to complain because they are free to simple not play you if they don't want that kind of game.

That is the beauty of the open system. And at the same time, that is why a group like this is an ADVANTAGE to those who want softer games, as this gives them a list of players who do not enjoy the same type of game as they.

We all play this game for different reasons. Some only enjoy a good bash, and some only enjoy scoring, but most of us enjoy a good balance of a game.

Nobody elses idea of a fun game is any more or less valid than your own. If this group and perhaps others like it take off, I see it as a good thing. Those people who like a less bashy game can avoid those who like to bash, and the bashers can enjoy keeping track of cracked heads, giving everyone a better chance of a game that they will enjoy.

The Finishing Touch
Christer

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 05:06
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Well then...

After discussing the issue with the other admins, I am retracting my previous statement regarding moving the EMU to divT.

According to the rules we have come up with regarding this, the EMU can go on as it stood. I apologize for any heartache and confusion regarding this.

The full rules will on tournaments will appear on the site as soon as I have them typed up.

-- Christer
BloodRunners

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 05:17 Reply with quote Back to top

YAYYYY, I am so happy that we are allowed to play a group for the fun of it. After all, noone is compelled to play us, they all choose to of their own free will. Thank you Christer for the most generous and most wise decsision.
BunnyPuncher

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay. The EMU is back in biz.

Thanks Mr-Klipp, Christer and Grumble, and Zy and others.
Cheers!

Everyone needs to rejoin the group:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=160

And please, I beg of you, would all non EMU member posts be placed in the following thread if you want to comment:

http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=563

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 06:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Rules post has been changed as follows... all EMU members please review this.

EMU is open to all non-elf teams in Open and DivX.

EMU coaches please post your vs. Elf game results here. A quick summary and the link to the game report will suffice. All elf teams are fair prey - Wood Elfs, High Elfs, Dark Elfs, and the new "Elves"

Points will be awarded for TDs (3pts), Casualties Inflicted (1pt for bh, 2pts for SI, 3pts for RIP, 6pts for RIP that stays dead - no apoth or failed apoth ), Wins (5pts), and Slam Dunks (7 or more cas in one game 10pts + the usual cas points)

Teams will lose 5pts for a loss, and lose 3pts for games in which they fail to score a casualty. In addition, you will lose points for casualties scored against you (1pt BH, 2pt SI, 3pt RIP) as Evo points out.. getting killed by an elf is kinda embarassing!

Hopefully this addresses some concerns raised by a few others. Oh btw, If an elf team spanks an EMU team and gives them a negative score for the game, the Elf team can post that result in this thread and i will count it in the rankings! This ensures that not just successful EMU games will be posted in this thread.

Standings will be kept and posted weekly.

Also I require suggestions for a name for the Championship Trophy that will be awarded monthly.

Not in the EMU yet?

Join here ---> http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=group&op=view&group=160

Finally, Christer has asked me to ensure that no personal attacks are levelled between coaches in this thread, chat room and PMs (Remember EMU critics - this is a two way street). So if you do have something to say, keep in character and be reasonably respectful, or I will deal out "da discipline!"

Post   Posted: Jun 27, 2003 - 18:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Posted on behalf of Purpleplums
-----------------------------------------------------

In this match he was lucky and i well...... i wasn't.
Twisted Evil next time pointy elves, next time Twisted Evil

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&op=view&id=71241"

------------------------------------------------------

Good work purp, tough loss but a good effort.

Post   Posted: Jun 28, 2003 - 17:34 Reply with quote Back to top

"Good Evening folks! Rent Brockman here at ESBBN Sports News! Tonight's program is being brought to you by the Halfling Rendering and Tallow Company, a wholly owned subsidiary of Malignant LLP, Half ling Tallow, the longest burning lamp oil money can buy!"

*change camera, Rent spins around to face it, looks nervous*

"Tonight we have a bit of a programming change! Our network apologizes to those who have tuned in for part 26 of our 38 part series on the history of dwarf-roller racing! I'm sure we'll be continuing that wonderful series for you next week"

*Rent looks off camera, tugs at his collar, and gulps as a sound of breaking bone and high pitched screaming is heard*

"Er.. ummm... that noise you heard was my from my producer.. ahh my former producer... he was just informed by management that this will be a regular weekly show. Wow.. that's gross... he should get his severance pay at least! Well, before I say something that gets me killed, I'll turn things over to tonight’s host Morthrog Manglebone!"

*Rent jumps from his chair onto the desk, kicks an orc in the jaw, dodges an ogre, and runs out the studio door, all while keeping his well coiffed hair perfectly in place. After a few minutes of bellowing and shouting, a rather large and scarred ogre thumps down in a chair behind the anchor desk*

"A'right den! Me gonna host dis show, and youse gonna watch it! Dis here is da weekly show where we tell youse wot happened this week in da Elf Mang'lin Onion... huh... sorry boss... Uuuuuuunyon. A'right. Our guests tonight be my pa and boss Nerfic BunnyPuncher, my 'ome boy Drego from da Bergherm Brutes, and Joey Brakes da pretty boy t'rower from da Blood Runners."

*camera change, Morthrog continues staring at the previous camera. After a few seconds of hissed whispers, an orc blitzer trundles onto the set and whispers in Morthrog's ear. With an angry look he finally faces the correct camera. As the orc leaves he shouts "jez wotch da red light u bonehead!"*

"Enuff of dis. C'mon da show pops! Mah daddy Nerfic BunnyPuncher"

*A bulky older orc, dressed in a very expensive suit walks onto the set. The monsters in the studio audience erupt in cheers. He gives Morthrog a hug, sits down beside the ogre and begins to speak*

"Ha Ha! Good show my boy! All right. Since we have a lot to get to tonight I'll make this brief! Despite the best efforts of several of the top people at the commissioners office, and a generally outraged public reaction, the EMU will continue, and all the free publicity this generated for us will only help us later on!"

*Morthrog nods (as he's fallen asleep)*

"Back to business then. Here are the standings after the first week of EMU!

Quote:

1. Bergherm Brutes with 26 points
    2. Seal Skin Sluggers have 24 points
    3. Blood Runners have 22 points
    4. Metal Militia with 13 points
    5. Blood Blitzers with 12 points
    6. Mousetrap has 11 points

"So despite the short week, the storm of controversy, and the temporary league enforced suspension of EMU, our teams got some impressive results! I do want to point out to all you meat puppets sitting at home that of the 7 games we played this week, we went 5-1-1. So much for your foolish belief that the EMU wasn't out to win! All right. I'm leaving. Wake up boy!"

*BunnyPuncher boots Morthrog in the shins, and stalks away*

"Yah dat smarted! So my next guest is Drego from da Berghern Brutes. Me and Drego goes way backs. My Ogre, get yo butt out here!"

*a big ogre dressed in plate mail and holding a gift wrapped box stamps onto the stage and sits down. the chair creaks ominously but holds*

"Fine lookin togs you got dere Drego, looks like dem dorfs have been treatin you right! Is dat present for me?"

*Drego nods (but stays awake) and hands the box to the other ogre. Morthrog rips off the top and pulls out a severed elf head*

"Damn Drego! You brought us our first head for EMU's Hall o' Heads! Thanks mah ogre! Now Drego, youse guys had da game of da week here at EMU and you took home the MVP for dat game. You wanna tell us about it?"

*Drego leans forward to his mic*

"It was a goot game. Much slaughter did we make. Crushed elfs littered da turf like so many empty beer bottles. Their weemen screamed like the harlots dey are when dey saw wot we was doin to dere men-folk. My Dorf brudders played like champions and we scored tree of dem TD fings."

*Drego leans back, shakes hands with Morthrog and stomps away*

"I love dat Ogre like a brudder, but he gets more and more dorfy every time I sees 'em. Our last guest of da evening is Joey Brakes da pretty boy t'rower from da Blood Runners."

*A large nasty looking human stalks onto the stage, and sits down*

"You'se Blood Runners had two of da most impressive showing in EMU dis week. You forced a tie wif the highly rated Terrifying Anarchists of Naggeroth, beat another decent elf team, and are right now waiting to resume a delayed game with Farwood Fire. And in dat game you'se taken out a bunch o' his team! How come da Blood Runners been so successful at playing these super-duper elf teams?"

*Joey Brakes leans back, lights a smoke, cracks a beer, and begins to speak*

"Really its been a team effort. Everyone on the Blood Runners is a professional and its a really fun team to play for. But most of the credit has to go to our coach and founder BloodRunners. He has us play a style of Blood Bowl that really seems to force these teams to play into our hands. Once they get in tackle range, its lights out for them."

*Morthrog breaks in*

"Now my pa sez dat BloodRunners is da Pit-Bull of da E.M.U., is it true dat you will take a game with any opponent, any time, anywhere?"

*Joey Brakes grins*

"That's true Morthrog. We believe there is not a single elf team we can't take to the cleaners on any given Sunday!"

*Morthrog shakes hands with Joey and leans forward to speak*

"A'right, dats it for dis week. Tell that wimpy Rent Brockman 'e can 'ave his chair back! G'night folks!"

*ESBBN Music comes on, followed by yet another commercial for Halfling tallow*