39 coaches online • Server time: 13:12
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
gumbi

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2005 - 16:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for last night Oz, had a good time!

A special thanks to everyone for restarting the game when i arrived to deal me in... and then the next game lasted 2.5 hours until midnight! Also thanks for letting me win so i could tottle off to bed Smile

Nice to meet you Lo, hope you enjoyed your holidays
Dravaal

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2005 - 16:53 Reply with quote Back to top

So when's the love coming to WA? I tell you it sometimes sucks being over here, but only rarely.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2005 - 05:08 Reply with quote Back to top

At least you're not lost in a land of paganistic BB heathens!

On that note, maybe I should try and ebbangelise korea.
Snorri

Post   Posted: Aug 10, 2005 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

SWL Java BBowl Client

The SWL Bowl pack has a couple of new features. The "deluxe" (as named in the fumbbl downloads section) field module has been incorporated - these are high resolution scans of the blood bowl board. It also uses new decals for the weather icons, has a much cuter apothecary (special thanks to one of our former players - XZCion) and features our very own aussie ref "Taz"!

Flinging it!

Straight from DM's blog comes some sage advice from ClayInfinity (Mr Whippy's partner in crime) with some essential tips on how to coach halflings. These are archived now in the SWL Library. Check it out when you get a chance - it's rather well composed.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 06:03 Reply with quote Back to top

<b>Season 11 Started!!</b>

Round 1 due Monday week... Note that in the Regionals, we have two divisions of 12 and 10 teams... therefore, first few games have been forfeited to ensure everyone gets 7 games. Please be aware of this when i say "Round 1".

Smile
Sandune

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 07:01 Reply with quote Back to top

****** Sandune's Start of Season RANT ******

Wow, I'm really glad I didn't follow my usual coaching tactics.
Normally I would fire a player with a niggle at the low TR my team is, regardless of having the cash to replace him or not. Unfortunatly, as a certain admin told me very early last season, "your going up Sandune, and theres no *beeping* way you can argue out of it". So I have my niggled player, which brings my team to a grand total of 138 ST. (Not the lowest ST in the conferences, the late call-up of danielcollins takes that title at 2 ST lower than me, but given his random conference draw of only 2/8 teams being tr200+, against 6/8 in my conf...). Anyway, this sort of thing is why I argued against changing the rules to entering straight into the league at tr100. Not only was my very first game against Chaos Dwarves with 75ST on me and Hthark the unstoppable! It now looks like my team got placed into the wrong divison the differences in sizes are so great. God forbid if I had followed my usual coaching pattern and actually fired the niggler, 125ST isn't the same at all.

Now I know that most people are quite happy with this situation, I mean, "hey, its Sandune". But the point of view I held from the start (which I dont think anyone thought about, they just thought I was whining) is that what happens if this occurs to a brand new player in SWL? How many new coaches to fumbbl are going to be happy or confident about the amount of playing up they have to do? seriously.

I'm thinking of sports like Rugby, Soccer, Cricket, Grid Iron etc, and I may be wrong, but I cant think of a single ruling system in any of these where they force tiny little teams from lower divisons to promote into a league where they dont stand a chance. Given most of the time the teams actually want to go up, regardless of how competitive they will be as thats the only way for them to make money, but the ruling systems generally make it difficult for teams to promote between divisons to ensure they are competitive when they arrive. How come we have a system that is the exact opposite? What if I had taken two deaths in the last round of the season in SWL, I would be absolutely no competition whatsover to any team in the conferences yet I would still be in there as you cannot chose NOT to promote. Hell, my team could take those casualties in the first game this season (not unlikely given the size and amount of dp in my opponents).

Oh look its Sandune whining again, pretty much what everyone spouts whenever I say anything. But you all know my team WILL grow, and what the hell happens to the new guys when i'm the one sitting on a huge team _again_ and they are playing up against me?. and of course, we have the half-a-dozen coaches who make my fouling/maiming tatics look like the fluffy gloves treatment, since I dont just foul,foul,foul for the hell of it or foul on turn16.

Can we please, please change the rules or allow exceptions so we dont lose coaches because of situations like the one I am in?
I'm talking about coaches new to SWL, who we would like to get involved
, who we want to hang round and bring new life in so we aren't always playing each other. But as I've stated before, if these guys come in, and end up in a situation anywhere near what I'm in, I cant help but see them get disenheartened.
I've been hanging round SWL since Season 2, playing since Season 3, and I know there is one hell of alot of coaches who came, played and left based on silly reasons and not-so silly reasons, do we need to give people more reason to be unhappy and leave.

Last edited by Sandune on %b %12, %2005 - %08:%Aug; edited 2 times in total
Symmetrical

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 07:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd foul on turn 17, if there was one.

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 07:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, well, that attitude does show in your team and coaching.

and DaemonicLazoth, how could you manage to get so upset at a turn1 2nd half foul, the only foul I made all match and a Badly Hurt to boot when there are people like Symm around.
Symmetrical

Post 7 Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 07:22 Reply with quote Back to top

If I was going to feel sorry for anyone in the situation you describe, it would be danielcollins. Having seen his first round opponent though, my empathy seems to have drained completely away...

*edited to include: Cool I always wanted to be a stereotype Smile
Sandune

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 07:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Lol you still dont get it, you take one look and your mind just imprints - Whinging and wanting sympathy. I'm sorry I haven't made it clear enough, but text is hard to convey ideas and view points sometimes and maybe i'm not so good at it. But it aint about sympathy Symm, if I couldn't handle playing up this much, why would I be in Cutthroat doing it every game?
ArtaXerxes

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 07:44 Reply with quote Back to top

As a new coach in SWL, I don't know Sandune from a bar of sand, but there seems to be a bit in what he says. Perhaps with 2 new teams in SWL season 12 (making 48 ), we will have 6 divisions of 8. Rather of making a 3rd Regional pool, perhaps there can be a qualifying pool (4th level) just for say TR<125. Then close the gaps in Regional and Conference by lifting Regional cap to say <TR161. In this way new teams in Regional and Conference don't face old teams so far ahead, yet old teams don't have to retire too many players and loose the character of the team.

Just a few thoughts from the new boy on the block... (with a TR100 team facing 6 of 7 teams approaching TR150)
Sandune

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 08:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ahh, someone being constructive, unlike myself.
Unfortunatly ArtaXerxes, what you are talking about is sort of closer to what we used to have, but we had a huge race imbalance. A whole lot ruling's were brought in to fix that, but even before a single season had passed it was decided to scrap the qualifying pool (yes we had one, called exactly that too, weird that you picked it) and change the TR caps. And be lucky for the 150TR Regional Cap, if it wasen't for Oz,(someone else) and me, it would have been 140.
whiteknight

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 08:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Mine is a TR100 Team but i ain't gonna lose out to all you guys out there ya...hahaha Twisted Evil
Toonie

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 08:37 Reply with quote Back to top

IT'S ON!

The Asgardians will make Premier this season or cripple a lot teams trying.

Which will it be?

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 08:38 Reply with quote Back to top

A comment from me...

Sandune, appreciate the sentiments, I understand your thinking, but we are trying to be consistent and logical in our application of the structure of the SWL. If you win your division (which you did) then you must be promoted. I congratulate you on your coaching skill to win the Regional League you were in with a new team.

Also, be aware that the TR's you will be facing will be approximately the same as you faced last season as your Conference League colleagues will be forced to cull TR. Culling TR, if done inappropriately, can break a team. When the culling is done, the TR spread will be a mere 4TR greater than 50... a barrier that you overcame last season.

In turn, if you were to have an option out of promotion, someone else (of lesser TR/talent) would be taking your spot as we are required to have 16 teams in the Conference league.

Also, in response to the other suggestion of Artraxerxes, we tried 4 divs below Premier and found it didnt work because teams coming last had no desire to play on once the chance of winning disipated. We have since found the opportunity for promotion from Regional to Conf and onto Premier, coupled with the fear(??) of relegation ensures most teams still make an honest fist of their games, irrespective of their position on the table.
 Jump to: