35 coaches online • Server time: 01:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Snorri

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, some (I hope) constructive comments:

1) Regionals last season was quite the exception - mostly TR100 teams and few TR150 teams. Now it's settled down it will be quite the opposite and very rare for a coach to go from TR100 to conferences in one season. This means, that hopefully in the future we'll see teams go up after they've already spent two or more seasons in regionals and the TR gap will be neglible - moot issue.

2) In line with the above comment, anyone who does manage to win regionals form TR100 in a stacked TR150 group is unlikely to be a newbie coach (newbie to bb, not nec. newbie to fumbbl). In fact if someone does manage it against a regionals mostly stacked with TR150, he's bound to be an exceptional coach with a dead 'ard team who quite deserves the challenge.

3) This issue has come up before and isn't just restricted to regional->conferences. The Vermin were lookin to retreat and regroup at the end of last season, but with the large dropouts in Prem they were thrown into the big time due to some good wins in conf. They got on with it and survived, despite not being in prime condition for a flag run.

But the situation is not perfect (is anything!) We discussed many ideas in the last season. Some of the thoughts that came up but were thrown out.

Main Issue - Large TR gaps. TR100-260 is a large TR span for a tourney to run on.

- Four tiers would break up the gaps more evenly and would be optimal, but we simply don't have the players for this (was tried before). Also not really sure people who would be stuck in that fourth tier would really find much enjoyment playing in a TR130 group season after season.

- Qpooling to TR150 before divisional entry helps narrow the global TR Range, but made it really really awkward to implement race balancing. Balancing was deemed to be more important, so qpooling was dropped. It's a shame, because it's a good way to close the global TR spread, but unfortunately we have yet to think of a way to do it and easily implement the race balancing.

- Capping Prem. Briefly came up I think, but nobody was interested in seeing our very best hobbled.

- Giving the option for coaches to turn down promotion. This is a grey line - what stops teams from saying, nope - not ready...want more time to build. Its much easier in conf than prem, and much easier in regionals than conf. It'd be very artificial and completely impractical to implement. For example, where do you draw that grey line! Our basic rule of thumb was if a coach was good enough to compete and win, regardless of the team's TR, then they're good enough to go up and take on the challenge. Leaving them where they are for another season of easy games isn't fair on the others and especially not fair on the next team down who gets promoted instead. Occasionally yes, your team might get trashed in a last game. But if they're really that trashed, then quite likely they should think about retiring anyway.

Anyway, hope that accurately (with a handful of admins its sometimes not easy all catching the same wavelength!) elucidates some of our decisions in the last season. Constructive ideas as always are welcome!

Snorri.
Longshanks

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 11:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought I might as well start season 11 with a post Smile.

Sandune, if it makes you feel any better, I don't think you're whining and clearly you want what's best for the league and that's great. Of course it's always a bit harder to get everyone to agree on what's best!

I suspect this desire for perfection is a never-ending treadmill and, as in life, there'll be winniers and losers regardless of the shape of the league structure at any time.

Unfortunately I have no constructive alternatives to offer. The thought ocurred to me that maybe promotion/relegation could be done on the basis of TR (always giving the regional/conference winners the option to go up regardless). But the more I thought about it, the more I could see all sorts of reasons why it may not work.

Nevermind .... soldier on!
Fool

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 18:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Why can't we implement the racial restrictions from Qpool? We could still have TR caps for qpool, regional, and conference, but just promote teams from qpool based partly on what race team they were playing. Races that would have a better chance to promote could be determined just by glancing at who was currently playing in the current season.
whiteknight

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

hm..that's sound like a good idea to me ya...
Snorri

Post   Posted: Aug 12, 2005 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

We tried that for a season, a couple of us were really adamant about keeping qpool for the reasons above, but it was very awkward. Often someone wanting to get started hadn't built up the correct team, or we were asking them to build up three teams at once so they had a better chance. Ended up with newbies who got frustrated that they couldn't jump into the divisions simply because there wasn't a slot for any of the races that they had been working on. Also with it being so dynamic, they'd start with a race, only to find the slots filled for that race by the time they were ready to get involved. I know of at least one newbie that left because of these frustrations.

As an admin too, I hated asking them to develop a race, but not be able to give them a guarantee that the opening would still be there once they were ready in a few week's time, at which point all they could do was start all over again.

The current drafting system has its problems, but is so much more practical for assigning races and maintaining a good diversity. It also lets us sub in newbies mid season alot more easily.
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2005 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Sandune? I'm in the same boat as you, thinking another season down in regionals would have been perfect, and going up may cause my team more hamr than good. But if I didnt want to go up I could easily of tanked a few games and not finished at the top of the pool.
Twahn

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2005 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd like to congratulate everyone who took part in the first GW hosted tournament (ever or just in a very long time?) to allow Blood Bowl to take a part, last weekend in icy cold Melbourne and the even icier, colder games hall.

You may well wonder why I would be handing out congratulations when I'm the one who spanked y'all all over the field in every game all weekend and took home all the trophies! Except the 'best and fairyest', which fell to Chunky, cheesily not causing a single Casualty all tournament (until right near the end when he hurt a wood elf and saved us all from making him do a lap of the hall with no uniform)... Wink

Seriously though, it was fun and I think a good close battle with heaps of rock solid games and good humoured, carefree play. It was nice to put a face to some of your fake names too, and a personality to add meaning to your typed words. Smile

Thanks also to good old JoeKano for giving us all somewhere warm to sleep despite a sickly wife, Chunky for bringing his Munchkin and fancy beers, and Gumbi, I'd just like to thank Gumbi for everything (except for playing Warhammer instead of Blood Bowl, for which he will burn in hell).

Got me excited about tournaments again... and having survived the rightful wrath of my goodly woman upon my return (nothing like trophies to quell a woman's fury Wink ), I'm thinking maybe I might even try to summon some courage and have a look at heading north of the border to meet the rest of you one day...?

DonTwahn's Dungeon = Cheap Miniatures! Check it out...
ozjesting

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2005 - 15:37 Reply with quote Back to top

And while you are contemplating your greatness Twahn...PLAY YOUR DAMNED CTL MATCH!!!

(and be glad I was selling a house that day and couldn't compete!)

Wink

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2005 - 17:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Well apparently I managed a better than last finish despite having to pull out of day two ( reference earlier post by Twahn about sickly wife ). I enjoyed day one with one great win and two total, but surprisingly enjoyable behind spankings ( Damn Khemri!!!! )< mmmm behind spankings...i hope the wife gets better soon........>, and it was great to meet a few more of the Melbourne and a coupla the sydney faces. Kinda makes me wanna get the free time and dosh together for eucciebowl, its sounding awes. Thx Chunky for the beers and the 3 am Munchkin and being a good bloke to chat too, hope you had an all right drive home m8.

To the Melbourne guys, let get behind our comps and see if we can build our future atendances, so with that in mind look out and keep free the Easter Weekend which will see, hopefully, Bloodbowl at Conquest yet again, we could really do with some more faces there ladz. And the orrible couch and the comfy couch will be available again for our interstate visitors, should be able to take two again..and free transport to the station to take the not free but competitively priced public transport to within a short walk from the venue!!

Well thats done, Roll on Season 11!, hey Drokmar, yoou culled that team down yet??

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2005 - 17:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Speaking of Melbourne comps..is their goingto be Blood Bowl at Powerfist in November this year?

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 00:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Got a speeding ticket on the way back - urk!

Was a great weekend I must say, and the humans did me proud and went undefeated again - if it wasn't for those draws, my big brainfart, and their lack of proper hitting (breaking armour, not a problem, rolling 9 or above - once and once only)...

I dare say any further Victorian excursions will only be made either by flying, or if I have a decent car pool going.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Sandune, the problem is that is equally as unbalanced if you put the shoe on the other foot.

If we gave you another season of play in the Regionals, by the time that Season was over you know damn well you'd have a TR200 team built in a less cutthroat environment than the Conferences, and would go in a big favourite IMO - and that simply isn't right at all.

Teams being able to ease their way up to a very solid roster at TR150 is the very reason the go in at TR100 came into being - it simply leapfrogged the bashy sides through their most vulnerable period to a point where a sensible coach could make them a very good team before rolling a dice in properly competitive play.

The situation we have now is primarily a result of not going the whole hog and resetting the entire league to start from TR100 though - we still have plenty of holdovers from before this time, and it may well be season 20 before the full effects of these changes are seen.

Resetting simply wasn't considered feasible though - as a league we pride ourselves on our history, and didn't want to force the retirement of all the old teams. I think the fact you chose to voluntarily retire the Smashers was a magnificent gesture, and I reckon you'll be up for the challenge of getting back up there.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 09:01 Reply with quote Back to top

chunky04 wrote:

I dare say any further Victorian excursions will only be made either by flying, or if I have a decent car pool going.

I'll take a seat in that car next time chunky... I'd even take a load of the driving given I probably drive like an old lady in a Volvo with QLD plates and a fish sticker....

Would've saved you some demerit points Smile
chunky04

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

I think just having a pool would have done the job. Fatigue was the primary reason for the speeding fine really.

Post   Posted: Aug 19, 2005 - 03:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Something else that may be of interest to Sydney dwelling fumbblers.

I intend to try and get a league started running out of the the Parammatta GW store, which has a fair amount of playing space available. It will likely run on a Thursday night. Lemme know if you'd be keen on playing.