31 coaches online • Server time: 01:58
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Play time average
30 min
0%
 0%  [ 1 ]
45 min
9%
 9%  [ 16 ]
60 min
53%
 53%  [ 87 ]
90 min
29%
 29%  [ 48 ]
Hours and hours
6%
 6%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 162

ultwe

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Buur wrote:
the rules state 4min per turn.... 16 turns a 4 min = 64 min.... so a game shouldnt take more...
when i play tabletop we like to use a countdownwatch set at 4min and you are done when i runs out...
-Buur

uuuhhh.... by this reckoning, it would be 64 mins per half (remember, bot you and your oponent get 4 mins for their turn...) which puts the "acceptable gaming time" for a match at a wooping 128 mins....

tbh, 1hour to 1 hour 20 min is normal for me, unless I am playing [S] or roll my usual bunch of 1:1, then it is 30 mins max Smile

Ult.

π is aproximately 3.142 times better than any other food
mymLaban

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 00:31 Reply with quote Back to top

more games more fun for all Very Happy so hurry up please Very Happy
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 00:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Hammerhiem wrote:
Quote:

I just wish I would know who votes for 1:30 and up so could avoid them like the plague

Did you have something beter to do MrMojo? something so important that it should take make extra 30 mins Sooooo important?

I can't believe people are stressing over the amount of time they are taking to play thier hobby.

Most people want more time with thier hobby not less.

Maybe he has to get back to work, as he only has the 60min lunch hour to play? I know plenty of people, myself included, who can play primarily during lunch at work.

People like to spend time with their hobby, but who has unlimited time? Given that one's time with one's hobby is already limited, people naturally tend to want to get more out of the time they do have... (3.5 hours can be either 2 games or 3...which would you pick? 60 mins is usually plenty of time to play and type chat during an opponent's turn)

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 00:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Buur wrote:
the rules state 4min per turn.... 16 turns a 4 min = 64 min.... so a game shouldnt take more...
-Buur

remember BOTH players get 16 turns Wink
zureal

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 00:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I like to play online in an hour , but I don't really care f it takes longer.

As far as the 4 minute rule goes.... there are 32 turns in a match since there are 16 turns * 2 players Laughing
MrMojo

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 08:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I mean I don't personally have anything against people who like to take their turns slowly, that's okay for them, but I've had a couple of nasty experiences lately and from now on, if I don't know the guy, I'll ask him whether he plays slow or not. I usually play during the breaks I take from my work. Sometimes you need to get back to your work in an about an hour.

Let's face it, if your opponent has done 2 moves and 1 block in 2 minutes, it's painfully slow, especially when he has 8 more players to move. And especially when you're the one who's having the bad luck streak. So my turns lasted about 30 sec and his turns 4 mins. It kinda makes the game boring and I usually try to do something else while he takes his time, and that has a negative effect on my concentration and gameplay.

I understand that beginners have harder time to make their moves on the board, but if you got 100 games behind you, I'd expect you to respect the other guy that much, that you'd take his feelings and his time into consideration as well.

rules state that 90 minutes is the time we must have to play the game, but frankly, I would like to see an automated turn changer when the timelimithas reached 4 minutes. (excluding situations i.e. after a TD when the setups take more time)

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

45min.

But this is because my turns are generally quite short and it is up to my opponent how long the game really is. Thus I don´t care much for slow players but I don´t complain unless they use 4+ min turns.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 08:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I see the 90 minute rule as the outside limit, i.e. when you commit to a game be aware that it could, possibily, in unusual circumstances go for 90 minutes and you need to make sure you can finish the game. In no way does the 90 minute mean the average game should take 90 minutes! If you plotted the game times as a gaussian 90 minutes should by the 2 or 3 sigma limit at the high end, not the centroid. Most games IMHO should finish in less than an hour. If your games usually take longer than that and you're not an uber coach who can actually use all that time play really well then you're taking to long. Sure, newer coaches may be overwelled a bit and not be in the routine as much as more experienced coaches, but at the same time their understanding of the complexities of the game are not as well developed so they shouldn't need as much time to come up with the best move they are capable of.
xcver

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

anything that is <=90 minutes. Its in the rules and is about the time you need included setup and if every turn averages at 4 mins. Anything above that is too long and below is nice.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

mymLaban wrote:
more games more fun for all Very Happy so hurry up please Very Happy

more games more double ones /double skul more fun for all Very Happy l am loving it
Buur

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Skelloboy you are right there is set up time too but then again if you play the 4 min rule you wont use 4 min every turn.... and of course there are 32 turns (Buur hits himself with a brick).... but people should at least try not to use more than the 4 min.... and if bothe players use 4 min + set up time..... (Buur shivers uncontrolably)
-Buur

Last edited by Buur on %b %16, %2005 - %09:%Aug; edited 5 times in total
Tinkywinky

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I usually take some time for my moves but to be honest I think that big tournament games would be less interesting if they were over in an hour.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 09:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Let's talk about the average here, tournament games last longer, stunty games less. I mean up until now, it seems that whopping 56 % of us play an average of 60 minutes, which is fine by me.

Slow and lucky is my horror. Making 5+ dodges and getting away with it just makes me wish they wouldn't have used all of the 3 minutes thinking time for that.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 09:38 Reply with quote Back to top

err, what the hell do you talk aboout? 1 hour 30 minutes?

I'm used to opponents that take 1 hour and 30 minutes on their turns alone. But then I don't play games that me and my opponent care about (ie not ranked).
Though games over 2 hours is indeed painful. The other day I played a final and there were not many turns when he moved his first player before 4 minutes of the turn had gone and the average ended around 6 minutes I guess, I even had to abort the game after 2 hours so we could continue the next as I was so tired.

Personally I try to see to to have my turns done by 4 minutes and I think people that does not is cheating. BUT If people complain before the 4 minutes has went I simply ignore them.
SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2005 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

doesnt matter what type of game it is, i usually take 30 mins to finish a game (with chat!), i usually take 45 secs-1 minute a turn and I generally play like minded people.

My worst match was when i was playing a friend, the gamae managed to last 3.5 hours... i started at 11.30pm Sad
 Jump to: