33 coaches online • Server time: 10:15
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What should this player take for his fourth skill?
+MA
48%
 48%  [ 30 ]
Jump Up
12%
 12%  [ 8 ]
Nerves of Steel
22%
 22%  [ 14 ]
Leap
16%
 16%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 62

Dunkpork

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 06:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok. I got double 5's on this player:

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=2211252

Choices are:
+MA
Jump Up
Nerves of Steel
Leap

Now, my current philosophy is that movement increases are over-rated.

My guy can score in two turns with his current speed of 8 and AG 5 to zip through occupied TZ's.

Before the doubles/MA I was going to take Leap so he could catch the ball and just jump out of TZ (if necessary) and run into the end zone. This still seems like the best option to me. Or, so he could setup on the weak side (where I won't be punching a hole with blitz), to get his full movement.

My other thought is Jump Up, so he can get back up and run. This is in case he gets knocked down near the line of scrimmage (trip/etc), or near the goal line (trip, blitz, etc). Obviously this means he has to get stunned to be "out of action". Also, means the opponent has to keep a defender near him instead of doubling up on another receiver.

The other popular choices have Nerves of Steel. This is redundant on my team, as I have a catcher with NoS and as this one has +AG. Obviously it would be nice, but seems overkill and a waste.

The last and most popular choice is +MA. What makes this better than a skill? Because I can 1 turn him? I don't see him turning into a 1 turner, with Sprint and Sure Feet. His +AG is too useful elsewhere with Leap. And, he'll probably niggle out by age or cas before I can obtain those two skills anyways.

So, I'm here for your knowledgeable recommendations. Please tell me what I should take, and please (if you will) give a good explanation. Right now I'm leaning towards just taking the Leap (and if he stays un-niggled giving him sure feet or tackle on his next skill).

Thank you,
Dunkpork
Freezerator

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

ok, i know i was the only one who cared when you were in chat, and i know i told you to get +ma. but now, looking back on my own team, lemme tell ya. LEAP ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. thats definately what you should get. its like, ok i dont wanna run around four guys and not be able to score. Oh what, i just jumped over your butts. want now. i just scored. you loose. sucker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

so ya, you should pick leap.
asperon

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 06:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Take NoS Now, take leap on the next roll.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 07:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Leap seems an awful waste of doubles/+ma, as he can take it on normal skill too...
Laviak

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
Take NoS Now, take leap on the next roll.

definately ... anytime he's standing, and in range for a TD, it will be 2+ to catch, then 2+ to leap away for a TD.

otherwise, +ma is nice for the push-back 1-turners.

The other thing I'd definately consider is guard -- guard + ag5 + leap is an awesome combo for cage breaking. With blodge already, he should be able to survive fairly well (which can be an issue for guard elves).

Buur

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 07:43 Reply with quote Back to top

jump up now then you have the full move nearly every turn..... leap next time....

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 07:57 Reply with quote Back to top

guard, then leap, then you got a guard that can be everywhere.
My fiist choice would be guard, second mb. Elves can already score.
Cloggy

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 08:15 Reply with quote Back to top

I would go Nerves of steel now, and leap next. Having the tactical option to throw the pass to him even when covered in multiple tackle zones and then leap out on a 2+ is just too good to even consider anything else.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 08:20 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with Burr. Leap should be taken next - do not waste a double. With Jump up the guy even knocked down will be a threat. So he can lie on the ground and still engage opponents.

Webbe's oppinion is second solution that I was considering. The guy is a ST3 blodger. He doesn't have to avoid the fight. But to use the Guard he must be put into opponent's TZ. If he is left there he may be blocked next turn. AV7 doesn't make him a natural born blocker.

Finally my vote goes to Jump up.

Post 3 Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Cloggy wrote:
I would go Nerves of steel now, and leap next. [...] leap out on a 2+ is just too good to even consider anything else.

Definitely Leap is a must have for a next skill. The NoS catch and Leap out tactic is nice and very probable with this catcher.
However I do not prefer it, because:
a) there is probably someone standing in the way that can block the pass (even if 6+ roll is required for an INT),
b) crash landing with a ball in hands hurts more than without it.

I would try to improve this catcher with following skills:
- Jump up,
- Leap,
- Side Step.
This way this guy surrounded by opponents (no matter if standing or prone) leaps out, moves to any safe place in the EZ and waits for a ball. If anything goes wrong the ball is still in the thrower's arms. S.Step will protect him from being pushed into crowd.

However there is one very week point in such a development strategy for that guy. It's quite a long term one as he needs to become a Mega-Star.

There is also an advantage written between the lines. If the guy is properly used he will help to improve linemen.

Last edited by macike on %b %30, %2005 - %11:%Aug; edited 1 time in total
Rijssiej

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

my current philosophy is that movement increases are under-rated. Wink
JanMattys

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:

I second that.

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 10:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Rijssiej wrote:

Do not underestimate the power of the 2+ Leap. Wink I think it gives more profits than +1MA.

On the other hand if the guy is a threat to opponent's EZ or runner he should be knocked down. In case of being prone Jump up gives more (3 MA) than +1MA. Not mention the possibility to retaliate the block not wasting the Blitz action.

However +1MA could be a start point of Runners Predator carreer (that could lead him to a Legend with: S.Step, Shadowing, Tackle/D.Tackle improvements).

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

I didn't see my choice...dauntless! Give him leap/tackle/strip ball and he'll be one amazing deep-field safety. You can score with other guys; save this one to dodge through (or later leap into) cages to attack the ballboy!

Post   Posted: Aug 30, 2005 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

guard then leap. with ag5 and leap and dodge you can get a guard almost anywhere you want it. you shouldnt have a problem scoring with that team anyway, so i would use this player as more of a support than a scorer
 Jump to: