31 coaches online • Server time: 03:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Fenomen

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Greetings, im looking for in depth Advice on a new Human Team. I read all the Guides( http://fumbbl.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=phpWiki&file=index&pagename=Strategy%20and%20Tips ) and searched the Forums but i still got some Questions.

I will Start the Team in a LRB 4.0 League with just 8 Player.
The League will consist of: Lizardmen, Woodelves, Skaven, Chaos, Orcs, Dwarfes and me Human + one Coach whos still deciding.

One Season will consist of just 7 Games everyone playing one another. I think we will play at least 2-3 Seasons with the same Teams, so im planning a bit ahead.

At the Moment im Aiming for a Starting Lineup, something like:

Ogre
3 Blitzer
1 Catcher(if i need to score fast to win a game)
6 Linemen
4 TRR
4 FF

I read that its viable Strategy to play with many Linemen to help them gain Skills faster. I would like to have 3 Skilled Linemen as fast as possible.

Is this a Viable Strategy for a Team which should have most of its Power after 7 Games Question

My Main Problem is, i lack longtime Experience playing Blood Bowl in any Sort of League Environment Embarassed So i really dont know how Teams play out at higher TR and if its a good idea for a semi newbie to try to force Linemen Skill gain like this.

For my Starting Lineup i really want 3 Rerolls and would like to have an Ogre. Anyting else i really dont know, cause i cant back it up with longtime Experience.

Any Advice is Welcome, Thanks in Advance.

PS: Excuse my English, it isnt my First Language Wink
Thyrreks

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

He He,

i would say that it's up to you to chose the players you want to field personally i wouldn't have taken an ogre but i see several problems on your team:
No apoth, ff4 and only 11 players without any thrower.

I would suggest to take 3 rr, an apoth, increase ff value and try to get 12 players.
Topper28

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

4 blitzers, 1 catcher, 1 thrower, 5 linos. 3 RR, FF 9. save 10K. Get apo first. Get 120K buy the Ogre. Get 4th RR and then linos. Get 5th RR eventually. You´ll be laughing in no time. have fun!! Smile
Jazz

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

What Topper said.
Personally, I would even get an extra lino before i go for the ogre.
Trust me, that Big Guy will only get you turn overs and frustration due to his failed rolls in a starting team.

If your opponents do have a Big Guy in their starting teams, remember this: If you block a Big Guy without block with one of your blitzers, there is only a 11/36 chance that your blitzer will go down. This is about 1/3 (even a little less). There is a 2/3 chance that the Big Guy will be pushed or goes down. With a RR, these are pretty good chances most people seem to forget about.

So, don't focus too much on getting that Big Guy. In the end, it's about scoring the most TDs to win.

Regards,
Jazz
Macavity

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 20:24 Reply with quote Back to top

No OGRE!!!!! I am a fan of two throwers to start, to guarantee you can keep that threat alive (and Sure Hands saves on RR), othe than that....These are smart folk.

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 23:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Thx for all the Answers. If i leave the Ogre out i wont have him for at least 3 Games which is then nearly half a season for me without a Bigguy.

I know that at least 3 of my 7 opponents teams will have an Bigguy to start with, wont leaving the ogre out put me at a disadvantage vs the strength teams when i meet them early Question

How about the idea of leaving catchers and Throwers out, so the linemen get their Skills as early as possible, something like a 4 Bz 7 Li 4 TRR 9 FF Lineup, would this be viable in such a short league Question

Pls do not comment on my Starting Lineup only. Like described in the Original Post, i will face Lizardmen, Dwarfs, Chaos(Ogre at Start), Orcs(Troll at Start), Woodelves, Skaven(likely Ratogre at Start) and one more Team likely another Elve or maybe dwarf(in which case i wont start with an ogre). Unlike me, these are all rather experienced offline Bloodbowler, so i dont feel cheap to try to get some advice for this league from you experienced Coaches Wink

Most Starting Lineups dont sport an Apothecary or a 12 Player, how often does it backfire? Shocked In my League, i cant start all over again for the whole season.

Thx in Advance
DonTomaso

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 23:12 Reply with quote Back to top

The longer you're without Ogre, the better...

Throwers and Catchers are what wins you games... leave them out, and... well...

I'd take the apo...

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Avoid Big Guys, you wouldn't want your Ogre going against them anyway (you'd want him smacking little guys). As far as the mix of teams you describe, Human Skills WILL be your big advantage, don't lose it by pretending to be orcs or dwarves. A human lineman needs one skill: block. If he get's doubles, and goes for Guard, good for him, but all he needs is block. "Skilling them up" is pointless. If you don't get doubles, where would you go? A Kicker? A whole lot of DP? The whole point of humans is that their positionals are very skilled. If you are potentially facing two dwarf teams your catchers may not be super useful, but your movement is an advantage over everyone but Lizards, Skaven, and Woodelves, and they can be TRASHED by your blitzers. Seriously. the Ogre can come replace a lino later. Big Guys are shiny, but not pretty. If you want wins, ignore them, (yours, and other people's)

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 23:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Keep in mind that a good team set up in Fumbbl might not be such a good idea in a smallish league. The (excellent I may say) human strategy guide written by AFK_Eagle suggests taking 4 blitzers, 7 linemen, 9 FF, and 4 RR. This works because you're guaranteed a vast pool of coaches to play against, and you are deliberately skilling up to get a better team later. In a smaller league though, you want results and you want them now. Which is why I would indeed drop some FF, drop a RR, get a thrower and a catcher, but leave out the ogre. With two positionals having built in rerollables, probably more team rerolls than other teams and some blitzers with decent speed, you should be pretty strong at the start.

Oh, and out of that pool of teams, I'd fear the dwarfs only. I can never seem to win dorf games with my humans. Suggestions:

Linos get block, to make them more useful. Second skills include kick, DP, tackle. Doubles: Guard. Maybe one Dauntless. Take all stat increases except +MA.

Blitzers: get guard as first skill on all four, but take tackle on one blitzer first (before he gets guard). That tackler is going to be your designated skinkhunter. Second skill get Mighty blow, and/or tackle. Doubles: dodge might be good in a short league, though with two dwarf teams it might not be as good. I like Stand Firm better. Take all stat increases.

Throwers: accurate, block in no particular order, then safe throw. Doubles: strong arm, take all stat increases. +MA is especially good, gives you a very viable option of doing a running play instead of a throwing play.

Catcher: block first, then sidestep, diving tackle. Doubles: Dauntless. Some would say nerves of steel but if you need to dodge out with AG3 I'd say don't bother really. Take all stat increases. If you know what you're doing, a DP catcher can be very good. Smile
Buur

Post   Posted: Oct 27, 2005 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

4 blitzers, 1 catcher, 1 thrower, 5 linos. 3 RR, FF 9. save 10K. Get apo first. Get 120K buy the Ogre. Get 4th RR and then linos. Get 5th RR eventually. You´ll be laughing in no time. have fun!!

i think it looks like the way to go..... i alwayes go for 9 ff try to get 3 rr apot as first buy and im have started not to include the bigguyes in teams with few block players at the start....
and that would lead to a team like that for humans.
-Buur

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2005 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Human Team. Need advice. Here it is:

Play Orcs. Lots of Orcs. They are cute, cuggly, and will roll over for your rock hard humies all the time.

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2005 - 00:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Seppuku wrote:
Human Team. Need advice. Here it is:

Play Orcs. Lots of Orcs. They are cute, cuggly, and will roll over for your rock hard humies all the time.

My humans' more played against race is orcs.
I have a winning record against them.

Orcs are just green standing rocks who think they can handle the ball. Cool

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2005 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Thx everyone for all the replies.

Its tempting for me to start with 4 Bz 7 Li 4 TRR 9 FF, cause then the chance for me having 2-3 skilled linemen after 3 games is rather high. With only 5 Li the chances that they are the ones getting a MVP is lower, and when they get one, i want them to make the first passes anyway.

My thoughts about the Ogre are, that i want one anyway sooner or later and if i happen to play the low AV teams at the start of the season i miss chances for him to get his first skills trough Casualties, if i start without Ogre.
I know that i wont block another bigguy most of the time, but to foul them they need to get prone and if i face the ratogre i have a not so bad chance of taking him of the field with Mightyblow.
The few times i played traingsmatched i liked the ogre and aside from the few times i rolled the 1, i allways were happy to have him on the LoS.

The Ogre is alot tougher then a Blitzer, with 4 Blitzers and no Apo, wont chances be rather high that i loose a 90k player for the next match Question
AFK_Eagle

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2005 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Why the high FF for a 7-game season? You're not likely to get aboe TR 125 or so in that time span, and even at very low FF, you'll get good enough cash by and large. So go with 4 blitzers (4x90=360), 1 thrower (1x70=70, total 430), 2 catchers (2x70=140, total 570), 4 linos (4x50=200, total 770), 4 RR (4x50=200, total 970), 3 FF. You'll still get 50k for the apo after game one, then save for replacements.

If you were in a bashy league, then the ogre would be useful to get, and not the catchers. However, playing vs elves and skaven, you'll want the speed to keep up as needed. Don't worry too much about the woodies/chaos...both teams take a LONG time to develop properly, you should still be able to run circles around the chaos and bash the elves. Skaven are a good matchup, that'll depend on who has the most luck. Human/orc games are always classics. The wild cards will be the dwarves and lizards...if they roll hot, tough to stop them; if they don't, then life is good for you.

And while an ogre is tougher than a blitzer, the reliability of the blitzer will keep him standing more often than an ogre, who will go down at the drop of a hat as a rookie. Block on the blitzer will save him a LOT, just wait and see.

BTW, thx for the endorsement, torsoboy. Smile

Post   Posted: Oct 28, 2005 - 01:20 Reply with quote Back to top

If its a 2-3 season league, higher FF can pay off. Otherwise, I'd say ditch the fan factor, but if you know its ongoing/perpetual, the FF's rather important.
 Jump to: