29 coaches online • Server time: 08:55
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 05:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Cervidal wrote:
How on earth are your opponents letting you get yourself in position to nab eight INTs in five games? You either have a half-dozen AG5 Pass Blockers with NoS, your opponents are fools for consistantly throwing the ball over the heads of your players, or your luck has been immeasurable.

Or, he's been sacking throwers with your NOS/Dump Off combo...pretty easy to set up a nice INT for a Dump Off... Wink

EDIT:
Also...since the opposing thrower did have Safe Throw, he was probably less aprehensive about throwing into INT coverage (it does open up a few options for, say, farming TD's to the more needy (but possibly covered, or out of position) player if you can fearlessly (relaitvely) throw over opposing player's heads - making Safe Throw a skill that can benefit the entire team in the long run...

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I'd take strong arm for the thrower and dauntless for the catcher. Dauntless makes the catcher a very effective long range blitzer and strong arm gets you an excellent thrower when you give him accurate and safe throw. Safe Throw is an essential high TR skill here in FUMBBL for elf throwers, you can't always avoid passing over players, especially against teams that have been designed to counter passing plays and have dedicated interceptors. And safe throw is about as near to automatic as you can get in BB, a 2+ roll that you can reroll.
Cervidal

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

[quote="CorporateSlave3
Or, he's been sacking throwers with your NOS/Dump Off combo...pretty easy to set up a nice INT for a Dump Off... Wink

EDIT:
Also...since the opposing thrower did have Safe Throw, he was probably less aprehensive about throwing into INT coverage (it does open up a few options for, say, farming TD's to the more needy (but possibly covered, or out of position) player if you can fearlessly (relaitvely) throw over opposing player's heads - making Safe Throw a skill that can benefit the entire team in the long run...[/quote]

It would take a mighty lot of effort to cover all the potential targets of a Safe Throw. At any rate, eight INTs in five games isn't normal, it's a truly bizzare statistical fluke, I don't care what the situation is.

Safe Throw doesn't make it thatmuch safer to throw into coverage. You've negated much of the interception worry, but whoever you're throwing to would then have tacklezones on them, have a number of dodges to make, or other problems to deal with. If you want to eliminate the coverage probelms, that's when you stick with NoS.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Strong Arm
Markusen

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 17:40 Reply with quote Back to top

MA
macike

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 18:22 Reply with quote Back to top

S.Arm + S. Throw + Accurate will allow you to stay deep behind of your offence line, run forward and make a pass opening the TD scoring action.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Interceptions are rare events. So I always congratulate the opponent on performing an interception.

SnakeSanders

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 18:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Bah, +MA is great for throwers, Id take it when I can, it gives you extra range on your passes, which usually are no more than 3+ add accurate into the mix and you have a grat long range thrower who can keep out of harms way until its time to pass the ball. I also consider giving my throwers Sure Feet, as this gives them extra range.
Throwers serve one purpose on a woodie team, and develop them to maximise their throwing range!
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 18:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Ironically, it's mostly my Ag 2 players that get INTs. I guess they never see them coming.

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 19:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Guard
Guard
Guard

eh did I mention

GUARD
Optihut

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 19:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Cervidal wrote:
Please tell me y'all are joking on Safe Throw. There's no more worthless passing skill in existance

Heh, fortunately that's what a lot of people think and my ag 5 leap nerves of steel passblock blitzer says thanks Wink

Anyway, I guess it's a matter of preference - accurate is for the people who think that they need to throw longpasses, even though most of the time they're going for quick and short passes anyway and safethrow is the "worthless" skill for people who want to get the ball to their catchers with only a 1/36 chance instead of 1/6 for the opposing black orc to intercept it.
Buur

Post   Posted: Oct 29, 2005 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

i have an chaos beastman with 5.
interceptions happen an they surly happens in high ag games... safe trow is an ok skill for the trower who trows from deep back feild!
-Buur

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2005 - 00:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone ever get much use out of Hail Mary Pass combined with Diving Catch?
vanGorn

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2005 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

SolomonKane wrote:
Does anyone ever get much use out of Hail Mary Pass combined with Diving Catch?
I have a squig herder team and a halfling team with each a hail mary passer and a diving catcher.
But they weren't successful so far.

CorporateSlave3

Post   Posted: Oct 30, 2005 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Cervidal wrote:
CorporateSlave3 wrote:

throwing into INT coverage

Safe Throw doesn't make it thatmuch safer to throw into coverage. You've negated much of the interception worry, but whoever you're throwing to would then have tacklezones on them, have a number of dodges to make, or other problems to deal with.

INT coverage in no way states that the receiver is in any tacklezones! I'm talking about throwing over a LOS line of defenders or the like! Smile

Besides, NOS doesn't get you clear of Diving Tackle or Tentacles! Nor does Dump Off save you from Mighty Blow or Claw/RSC! What I don't like about Dump Off/NOS, is that implies you intend your thrower to be hit. I guess I'm just more comfortable with the elven tactic of having the thrower back out of Blitz range to make a safe, 2+ Long Pass next turn for a touchdown, and not get hit!

Very Happy

I have seen the power of Dump Off/NOS on the pitch, and it is pretty hard to stop, although I didn't have a team set up for defeating such a skill combo at the time either...