41 coaches online • Server time: 00:22
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post New Gnones vs Old Gn...goto Post FUMBBL HAIKU'Sgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
deathgerbil

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 02:37 Reply with quote Back to top

This thread is now about pie. Please stay on topic people.
Adar

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

deathgerbil wrote:

I like pie. I also like the Finnish leadership style your showing when making a much needed decision and then pull through with it on your own. I do however like pie more.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 03:14 Reply with quote Back to top

First, if a new "serious" division were created, you would just have almost everyone from ranked come over and end up with the same diversity (which I like). The "fun" players would follow so that they could still find games. (Btw, not caring about CR is not synonymous with fun and vice versa. If someone is not having fun, they need to find something they do enjoy).

Second, CR is very useful. Despite its flaws, a CR 175 guy is generally a lot better coach than a CR 145 guy. If you want to find a challenging game, it's nice to see the CR.

Third, it is all supposed to be fun. If someone does not care about CR, what does this thread matter? It sounds to me like most people who do care about CR realize the current system is flawed, but still find it good enough. I very much agree with Smess that diversity is much of what makes ranked so fun. Finally, no system made can avoid the so-called "bad apples". There will always be jerks online and off and, like in life, it is up to you to avoid them.

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 03:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Something must be done; it just must. The indians are fighting, but, I tell you, WHERE ARE THE CHIEFS!
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 03:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Taken from the user guide, it is THE description of U div, looks like there already is a area for people to play.

The Unranked division is largely populated by group/tourney members, but some coaches who dislike the Ranking system choose to play their casual games with teams in this division. It basically functions identically to ranked with looser restrictions. You can play whomever you want without regard to the effect it will have on the Ranking formula, for example. There are also additional, non-official teams available (such as the Allied teams and several Stunty Leeg rosters), but you are under no obligation to play with or against such teams if you prefer a LRB-compliant environment.

Historically, Unranked division was originally the Tournament division, but its role has changed somewhat. The old T division used to be strictly for teams participating in groups and tournaments, with "pickup" games not encouraged. Now it is for everyone who wants to play for fun, rather than ranking. It makes for a perfect environment to test out odd team designs, practice your skills (with a new team or in general) or just playing within a select group of friends.

Last edited by OldBugman on %b %26, %2006 - %11:%Jan; edited 1 time in total
NezMaster

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 04:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I wish there were more games in unranked. If there were, I'd never play ranked. But i get tired of waiting five hours for a game, when I can play a ranked one in 2 minutes. Some way of increasing my ability to play without people who care about tr looking for someone they can smash would make my entire expereince more enjoyable.
I've considered dumping my ranked teams altogether, but again, I like to play to often at wierd hours for that.
Buur

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 09:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

i think this is the wisest post i have read in along time.
-Buur

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought we allready had a Ranked and Unranked Divs Smile
So the coaches who don't like CR, should just massmigrate to U, except the coaches like me, who don't care about CR, except for the part of making someon lose theirs...

So the solution is there, but it just didn't work out the last time we tried it, because most ppl decided to stay in ranked, since they get more games that way. Then again, I play mostly stunties, so what would I know.
SideshowBob

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 11:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Odi wrote:
I thought we allready had a Ranked and Unranked Divs Smile
So the coaches who don't like CR, should just massmigrate to U, except the coaches like me, who don't care about CR, except for the part of making someon lose theirs...

So the solution is there, but it just didn't work out the last time we tried it, because most ppl decided to stay in ranked, since they get more games that way. Then again, I play mostly stunties, so what would I know.

Damn you! You pretty much wrote everything I had to say.
Curro

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 11:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

This thread is now about pie. Please stay on topic people

Yesterday I ate a delicious Apple pie.

On the original topic: I´d still think that having 6 (SIX!!) different divisions to play, everybody could find the one which likes him. So play in U if you don´t like R and viceversa...
I don´t pay much attention to the CR (as I´ve said before, in the other thread) so my oppinion couldn´t be so valid.
Let´s play people!!
OldBugman

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 11:40 Reply with quote Back to top

what I posted above was taken from the user guide and it's the official description of U.
Arcon

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Karhumies wrote:
Arcon wrote:
I am absolutely on Smess side. I do not see why this diversity is causing YOU so much trouble.

My main intention is to point out a flaw in the system. Even if it doesn't affect me or my life in any way, it's a flaw regardless. A big one at that.

Personally, I play Unranked and Stunty only. I am not a serious coach and would not like to play in an extremely competitive environment and therefore the concept of Ranked is not for me. I don't care, how well (poorly) the ranking idea has been implemented in practise but as long as the idea behind ranked is to have an awfully competitive environment for sorting out the best coaches from the worst, I wouldn't be bothered to join.

This is mainly about my principles and in things like this, I am strict about them.

Uhm, why do you devote so much time, effort and enthusiasm into something you don´t really care about? And something you do not really know? 22 R games played do not make you an R expert.

EDIT: Deleted the rest, since I decided to quit this blabla, and not promote this nonsense further by adding more and more postings...
Meech

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

I know, let us all sign iron clad contracts saying that we will all try our very hardest to not get cherry picked. We will only play people we think we might be able to beat. That match has to be approved by 2 admins for a "fairness" value. Let's make sure we try and suck absolutely all fun we can out of Fumbbl. Fun Vampires, that is what you are, fun sucking Fun Vampires!

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Why not just put in an option (for instance in pré-match sequence or other) to choose if that particular game should count for CR purposes or not?
Would just make sure that every type of player played the same type of player....
Karhumies

Post   Posted: Jan 26, 2006 - 15:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Arcon wrote:
Karhumies wrote:
Arcon wrote:
I am absolutely on Smess side. I do not see why this diversity is causing YOU so much trouble.

My main intention is to point out a flaw in the system. Even if it doesn't affect me or my life in any way, it's a flaw regardless. A big one at that.

Personally, I play Unranked and Stunty only. I am not a serious coach and would not like to play in an extremely competitive environment and therefore the concept of Ranked is not for me. I don't care, how well (poorly) the ranking idea has been implemented in practise but as long as the idea behind ranked is to have an awfully competitive environment for sorting out the best coaches from the worst, I wouldn't be bothered to join.

This is mainly about my principles and in things like this, I am strict about them.

Uhm, why do you devote so much time, effort and enthusiasm into something you don´t really care about? And something you do not really know? 22 R games played do not make you an R expert.

EDIT: Deleted the rest, since I decided to quit this blabla, and not promote this nonsense further by adding more and more postings...

Do you mean that the fact I dislike the fundamental idea behind ranked (=rankings) means I am not entitled to have an opinion of my own?

I play Unranked and Stunty. In Unranked, it is hard to ask for matches for teams which are not in the gamefinder because osme of the teams are in groups/tournies.

E.g. you are chatting online and casually ask for an Unranked match.
Coach X replies: check my teams and say what sounds good for you.
I reply: which are not in tourneys/groups?
Coach X: Oh wait...dunno..this and this...and this? which of your teams are free?
I reply: I'll put them into the gamefinder

etc.

It's quite unpractical.
 Jump to: