42 coaches online • Server time: 10:41
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Jump up on a tree?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
qk

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I have played a lot of chess. I even studied it, and joined some competitions, and I think that they are remotely comparable. It's like learning languages... if you speak 5 of them, the 6th gets much easier, but still, every language is unique...

BB is good fun, but chess is just awesome: very few rules + no luck + endless possibilities ---> best game ever, I dare to say!

(I had to quit playing chess seriously because I got obsessed and dreamt about it EVERY night)
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 13:46 Reply with quote Back to top

maxlongstreet wrote:
I think chess and Blood Bowl have a lot in common. I haven't played much chess lately, but having played a lot of it in my life definitely helped me starting out in Blood Bowl.

IMO, Blood Bowl players aren't nearly as good at their game as chess players are at theirs. It goes beyond the fact that there are millions more chess players and it's been studied for centuries. The introdution of luck has the curious effect of making it harder psychologically for people to improve. If you get whipped at chess, you know that you just didn't get it done, and you have to look in the mirror and see what you did wrong. In Blood Bowl, you can always blame the dice. In most games, you get some crappy rolls in key situations, and you can always point to that. Of course, good players tend to overcome their bad rolls more, and put themselves in positions where they don't have to make as many rolls to win. But it's less clear, and thus harder to analyze your mistakes than in a pure skill game.

You can always blame the dice but it does not mean that you will. Luck may affect the result but does not affect how well you played. You still need to recognise your mistakes whether you get away with them or not.

Even in chess you can get away with a bad move if your opponent makes one too. You could call that good luck.

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

qk wrote:

(I had to quit playing chess seriously because I got obsessed and dreamt about it EVERY night)

Chess is clearly evil and should be banned!

No one dreams about BB every night.

Do they? Smile

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

hehehe Very Happy

I'd quit BB unless my wife enjoyed my late night somnambulistic tackles Very Happy
Curro

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

No one dreams about BB every night.

Do they?

/me does

I think I have a problem...
Buur

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 22:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

chess is just awesome: very few rules + no luck + endless possibilities ---> best game ever, I dare to say!

i must agree here i just wish that i was better at it!
If you are looking for other games to pick up i must recommend bridge a quick thinking game with the psychological aspect like in poker! its just awesome!
-Buur

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 22:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Chess is cheaper than BB also!

LordSnotball

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 22:58 Reply with quote Back to top

cheaper minis at least...

i have a friend who has a board that cost him £1000, and he has it entirely for decorational purposes... he tried to put the bishop on the pawn LOS when showing it to me...

no1 i know has a decorational board of BB costing £1000 at least...

The Congregation - Always Recruiting
[url=http://igolocal.net/badge.php?user_id=1949]Image [/url]
FischerKing

Post   Posted: Feb 23, 2006 - 23:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I come from chess too, and imo there are alot of similarities, most important: it work in squares ^^

Apart from that: on most levels of chessplay, luck is a factor too, because non of the players involved can see were the possition is going (Eaven the best chesscomputers/top players often fail to do that) Chess is more about intuition than most people would think, and bb is pretty much about intuition as well. There is a poker aspekt of bb, a big one, as there is a poker aspekt of chess. But the dicething seperates chess from bb alot.

BTW I agree with the guy who said that chess is played at a higher level.
Hank

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2006 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Im also fond of chess, but i rarely play nowaday. But let me share an anecdote with you...

I recently lived in the same neighbourhood as an old chess master named Rolf Martens, the man was a master in ´67 then retired at a young age. But he made a comeback in a blitz tournament in 1984 and introduced a number of defenses that seemed very bad at first glance but proved very hard to break even for the masters. He ended at a respectable third place and haven´t competed ever since. Anyway, he named his defenses from historical battles such as Cannae and Stalingrad, which he thought resembeled the set-ups. It would be fun to know if anybody have more entertaining names for their attacks or defenses in blood bowl then my "3-4-4" or "anti-elf".

Rolf Martens is a very intelligent man but i would seriously question his mental status nowadays, he is a bit of a paranoid nutcase (dont get me wrong, im just saying he is paranoid, im not saying that the CIA and KGB didn´t make a joint operation to steal his bike). He is currently involved in a highly unsuccesful campaign to free the murderer of Anna Lindh (the swedish foreign minister that was stabbed to death).
FischerKing

Post   Posted: Feb 24, 2006 - 16:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The distance between madness and brilliance is short Razz
Smess

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 13:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Been playing a lot online chess now, at www.spelletjes.nl (under the name of VortigenBarry or BennyTheBeast). Aaah, the sheer joy of finding a game within 2 mins.
They even have a ranking as well (and of course cherrypickers as well then). My ranking has mainly been going up between 60 and 100 (which is decent, but not realy good yet).

Now, to further elaborate on the simiratities and differences between Bbowl and chess.
-An important <b>similarity</b> is that numerical advantage can win you the game.
In Bbow getting one of his players off the field early can realy help you to execute your plans better, starting by the fact that you can throw 2 die blocks easier than him now, and generally will have an easier time removing more of his players from the field, which can be a big step to winning the game.
In chess, numerical advantage might be even more important. Having even one or two pawns more than your opponent can already be enough to win the game, if you can keep that advantage untill the end of the game. (Of course, you can always intentionaly sacrifice a piece in order to open up the game and threathen his king, but it's best to be real certain of your case before you do that.)
-One of the biggest <b>differences</b> to me is the ability to see where the game is going.
In general, you have to think way further ahead in chess than in Bbowl. This has of course a lot to do with the nature of the two games. Bbowl doens't allow you to make exact predictions. The best plan can still fail if you roll quad skulls or snake eyes. So, what you do is to make your own turn as safe as possible, while making your opponent's next turn harder (make him roll more risky dice). There's not much point in trying to predict much further than this, as you are still dependent of the dice (of course you have a general plan in your head, but you will almost anytime have to adapt this to the way the dice are going).
In chess, you can (in a lot of situations) make exact predictions about what your opponent is going to do, that makes a big difference. You have to think a lot of moves ahead sometimes, while still keep an eye on your opponent's intentions. Of course you still have to change your plans if your opponent acted differently than you thought, but sometimes your opponent can realy only make one good move.
-Another big <b>difference</b> is that in chess, your mistakes will be punished a lot harder than in Bbowl. In chess, you can have the perfect plan to win, but it can be that you forgot to move one little piece (which seems very unimportant then) before you begun your attack, and run on a heavy counterattack and lose. Giving away a piece because you didn't see your opponent could take it can cost you the game as well (should not happen of course).
In Bbowl, you can get away with bad play on occasions. You played, bad and allowed a 2 die blitz on your ballcarrier? If your opponent doesn't roll a pow in his blitz, no prob.

To conclude, yes chess is definatly played at a higher level, but Bbowl is still more fun to me.
Woodpecker

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 13:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Hmm. I've played chess all my life, and I really don't see it. Bloodbowl might help you a little bit, but it wouldn't trigger a change in playing style. You probably just got older and less reckless. That happened to me at a certain point. I shifted from being an agressive, positional player who favored white, to a defensive, tactical player who favors black.
Are you winning more now?
Smess

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 13:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, winning more, and more importantly playing a whole, whole lot better (see original post).
Woodpecker

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2006 - 13:39 Reply with quote Back to top

See, yeah, I just don't see that as coming only out of BB. You've also just shifted in strategy. Are your opponents as good as before? Razz And have you been studying problems or opennings? I'm rather curious about this. I love most kinds of strategy games, but it never occured to me that playing one could help my skills in another. I suppose though, they are both gridded games in which some pieces are superior to others.
 Jump to: