25 coaches online • Server time: 05:05
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Skittles' Centu...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kyyberi

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I tried to look for an existing topic about this one, but couldn't find. So here I go...

When talking about Hail Mary, most coaches just laugh. Does Hail Mary (+Diving Catch) really suck that much?
I have to admit that I have never played with it or against it, I'm just wondering if anyone has mastered it and used it with some success.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 10:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Useful option for Lizards, as they don't have access to a traditional passer.
xcver

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 10:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I find it also nice with khemri too. normal passes are usually very difiicult even with rerolls so you just try to pass the ball to the loose cage you have built somewhere and pray Smile

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 10:32 Reply with quote Back to top

It's useful when you're surrounded on your own goal line. If your oppo has no safeties just throwing to space can be a huge momentum change.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 10:47 Reply with quote Back to top

It suck that much because of the randomness of where the ball lands, it's only 15/32 (I've calculated it) that the ball will land on targetsquare or within one square of the targetsquare on an inaccurate pass (not even counting the bounce). So even with DC or a solid cage around the targeted square it's very likely you just give the ball to the opponent.
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 11:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Webbe wrote:
It suck that much because of the randomness of where the ball lands, it's only 15/32 (I've calculated it) that the ball will land on targetsquare or within one square of the targetsquare on an inaccurate pass (not even counting the bounce). So even with DC or a solid cage around the targeted square it's very likely you just give the ball to the opponent.

thats why it is called HAIL MARY
Skeloboy

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I never use Hail Mary except on khemri teams...in fact Hail Mary is my second choice for throw-ra(the first is block).

The thing anout hail mary+diving catch is, that a well-developed thrower with accurate and safe throw and perhaps a +ag or double(strong arm) kan do throw it reasonable well, and thus the cahcne is higher for a succesfull pass than with hail mary+DC
Sysiphos

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 12:17 Reply with quote Back to top

On the pro side for hail mary is the fact that you can pass the ball across the hole pitch... so simply drop your thrower in your backfield, delay the pass and pray... if playing against a slow team there is a difficult choice for the defending team... should they try to sack your thrower or concentrate on the other players...

I havenĀ“t used it yet myself but played against it. It is a viable tactic.
Wombats

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Something like a 15% chance to pull the whole thing off with a catcher with Catch from memory

Even for Lizardmen who can get a Skink anywhere...why not run it over with Movement 8 and a safe hand off?

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 12:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Webbe wrote:

15/32 sounds about right. I also calculated those odds once upon a time - I think every obsessive BB coach does it at some point in their career! Wink

One thing that it means is that, if you <i>are</i> going to use this tactic, the first skill you really want to have on your intended receiver(s) for the Hail Mary is Sure Hands, and not DC.

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 12:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Hail mary pass is also an quite useful skill for most stunty teams espcialy for the slow ones....
-Buur

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 12:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Wombats wrote:
Something like a 15% chance to pull the whole thing off with a catcher with Catch from memory

Even for Lizardmen who can get a Skink anywhere...why not run it over with Movement 8 and a safe hand off?

Well, actually if you got reroll for both rolls (throw and catch) and ag5 on the catcher it's a 44% chance of pulling it off.
coffindodger

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 12:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi folks,

I guess it depends on whether the odds are more favourable than a normal pass would be - 2+ to get the ball approximately anywhere is pretty good odds - and also on the tactical situation - getting the ball away from your own end zone and hopefully away from opponents too is usually a good idea.

BFN

Paul
xcver

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

I think HMP has one really big thing going for it:

It is so much cooler using it instead of a regular pass Smile

Post   Posted: May 11, 2006 - 13:36 Reply with quote Back to top

HMP is an excellent defensive skill if you play some kind of catenaccio.
 Jump to: