20 coaches online • Server time: 04:09
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
bghandras

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 13:48 Reply with quote Back to top

"Why?"
I have significantly more experience with and against killstack than i had back then. I thought it would be not a significant enough change, but now i think that would be just right.

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 14:02
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

An interesting observation when it comes to changing things in an existing division with an already established player base is that a 51% majority for a particular change isn't enough for me to actually go through with it.

The reasoning is that any change has a chance to alienate the existing player base to a point where they walk away. In general, a change is worth doing if the expected influx of long-term participants has to be greater than the expected number of people who disappear. Essentially, a change is bad if 5 new people join, but 10 leave.

In this case, the people who enjoy CPOMB as it stands are a pretty significant part of the Blackbox player base and a change poses a real risk of making the environment less fun for these people.

That being said, I try to keep myself up to speed on how the community shifts over time, and it's not impossible that a change will be made at some point. For now, though, I'm hesitant to implement a house rule in the division. I'm fairly happy with the effect of the scheduler change.
koadah

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 14:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:

In this case, the people who enjoy CPOMB as it stands are a pretty significant part of the Blackbox player base and a change poses a real risk of making the environment less fun for these people.

Bill seems to still enjoy his CPOMB even with the nerfs in the O[L]C. Wink

So, is this the official seal of approval for the CPOMB approach?

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
That being said, I try to keep myself up to speed on how the community shifts over time, and it's not impossible that a change will be made at some point. For now, though, I'm hesitant to implement a house rule in the division. I'm fairly happy with the effect of the scheduler change.

Sure, the blackbox is quite OK at the moment. I fully understand the reasoning. The schaduler change guaranteed at least 15 fun and mostly balanced games, and possibly up to 30 or more. It is not a big deal for me to create new teams after they face their demise. With that said i cant provide variety much above 1500 TV, as my teams tend to face their demise below 1500 TV. So i understand it might be a problem for other people. Now if those OTHER people are the ones who play high TV bbox, and also want variety, then change might be good. Otherwise the change might be a bad idea. Food for thought, and continue trust in your wisdom.
Calcium

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 14:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer, a voice of reason in the sea of the anti clawPOMB madness

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
Christer, a voice of reason in the sea of the anti clawPOMB madness

+1
thoralf

Post   Posted: Nov 11, 2015 - 16:03 Reply with quote Back to top

bigGuy wrote:
I think best would be:

1)Claws does not stack
2) Piling On for armor only

+1

I'm not sure I understand the point of PO on injury only. MB increases injury rates by 100%, and PO doubles that number, which means both increase injury rates by 300%.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Christer wrote:
An interesting observation when it comes to changing things in an existing division with an already established player base is that a 51% majority for a particular change isn't enough for me to actually go through with it.

The reasoning is that any change has a chance to alienate the existing player base to a point where they walk away. In general, a change is worth doing if the expected influx of long-term participants has to be greater than the expected number of people who disappear. Essentially, a change is bad if 5 new people join, but 10 leave.

On the other hand, it may be hard to quantify the exact number of coaches who flat out LEAVE (either the division or the site altogether) due to those same folks who are currently enjoying playing "that one type of team" over and over. The argument that some people are enjoying it - perhaps even a large number of people - is valid. Making a change that very well could impact those people is dangerous. And yet, doing nothing is a different sort of danger, as there are clearly SOME coaches who have left us because the kill-all-menz style of play renders much of the tactile fun of the game inert. It's quite possible that a change could result in 5 new people, 10 leaving, and then a different 5 (or more!) people coming back/staying on who WOULD have left.

For myself, I really love the box but I play in it *tolerating* the bad stuff. Depending where others fall in that enjoy/tolerate/leave spectrum, there is some percentage of players who might come back to the box under different circumstances. I would not be surprised if a change was favorable or at least a wash in terms of total games played, but that's just idle guessing as I have no actual data other than a few years of observation with my eyeballs. Maybe it's as you fear, and thus I can understand the prudent decision you come to:

Christer wrote:

But if you ever do feel up for trying out even a short trial change I'll be one of the folks standing up and claping. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 01:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Coaches seem less opposed to outside of the game house ruling, so I think maybe TS might be the way to go. With this you could finely tweak it's worth. However it'd be a lot of work.
DeathJester74

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 01:33 Reply with quote Back to top

I have noticed a nice influx of non bash teams over the past few days. I think all this talk has the good races standing up and saying "we will take back our Box!" and it is kind of cool. Just saying.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Brogres are the only hope of cutting those nasties down to size.
MrNomad

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 02:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess I wish I knew more of the nutz and bolts of the scheduling aspect of box. What matters more number of games played or TR?

I have a relatively new, in my opinion, orc team that played up nearly 500k against a chaos team...was the first time I've conceded a game in quite some time. Now I don't play Bill's number of games but I have played a couple of hundred games in the box and that's the first time in a scheduled box game that I have played that much more TR up.
Kryten

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 04:15
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

MrNomad wrote:
I guess I wish I knew more of the nutz and bolts of the scheduling aspect of box. What matters more number of games played or TR?

I have a relatively new, in my opinion, orc team that played up nearly 500k against a chaos team...was the first time I've conceded a game in quite some time. Now I don't play Bill's number of games but I have played a couple of hundred games in the box and that's the first time in a scheduled box game that I have played that much more TR up.

How the Scheduler works
MrNomad

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 05:14 Reply with quote Back to top

That seems like a lot of TR to give up for teams in the 20-29 games played age bracket to me if I am reading it right.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Nov 12, 2015 - 05:19 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the fact that the official divisions use the official rules. I do think league is the correct place for house rules.
 Jump to: