19 coaches online • Server time: 07:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Was it worthwhile to lock this thread? http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=20464
Yes
81%
 81%  [ 36 ]
No
18%
 18%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 44

Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

I think part of the problem here, is the threads that have recently been derailed are ones everyone has seen a bizillion times before. Like a bretonian one for example. Or a min max one, or a blackbox vs ranked one, or CPOMB is broken etc...

People probably troll them a bit because nothing original is being said. What we REALY need is the search function to return to the forums which would hopefully stop these threads appearing again and again and again. Although that probably wouldnt make a difference really.

Should that other thread have been locked? Yes, probably for two reasons 1, it will just encourage trolls and 2, your not really meant to public name people that are annoying you. It's not really fair on them, create a trouble ticket and the admin would probably have had a word for you Smile

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 19:41 Reply with quote Back to top

It sure certainly seems better than locking threads (punishing the original posters who followed the rules). Moving speech that breaks the rules (punishing the rulebreakers) would be better than censoring speech of those who can follow the rules by locking their threads. Definitely the lesser evil in my books. Would anyone really complain about spammers/derailers having their comments moved to an off-topic thread with a new subject line?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't like someone's conduct here? Avoid them and ignore their input. It's worked for me since my break... Wink

Personally I think Pythrr brings a bit of much needed comedy to most of the forum posts here, which increases smiles in the FUMBBL community, ergo improving the world a little bit.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 19:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Chrome_ghoul wrote:
Warseer does it very well IMO. They typically issue a warning in a thread that is being trolled, then if it continues the offending posts are removed.

Im not sure what communities you hang out at Woodstock, but I find fumbbl to have quite a bit of trolling.

Heroes of Newerth, one of the worst communities ever...
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I think part of the problem here, is the threads that have recently been derailed are ones everyone has seen a bizillion times before. Like a bretonian one for example. Or a min max one, or a blackbox vs ranked one, or CPOMB is broken etc...

I think you should follow Calcium's advice and ignore them if you are tired of old conversations. Why do you feel the need to silence others just because you have seen others hash out old ideas. Why not let them have the fun of discussing these issues for themselves? Or should only oldsters have that privilige?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 19:49 Reply with quote Back to top

In this particular context a discussion of trolling is fine but the previous thread was pretty much just a direct personal attack, a calling out almost.

Don't get me wrong my views of certain folks isn't high but if they want to act like a chump then that's their choice.

If you think someone is a troll then ignore them because we all know Trolls are really stupid and aren't a major threat unless they have help. Smile
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 19:59 Reply with quote Back to top

EvolveToAnarchism wrote:
Garion wrote:

I think you should follow Calcium's advice and ignore them if you are tired of old conversations. Why do you feel the need to silence others just because you have seen others hash out old ideas. Why not let them have the fun of discussing these issues for themselves? Or should only oldsters have that privilige?

I dont feel the need to silence others at all. Im just siding with calciums point really, sometimes a bit of trolling can be quite funny. The bloodbowl community does tend to take its self a bit too seriously from time to time.

I also agree with Woodstock here, this sites forums are pretty much as friendly as they come on the web. They already are very heavily sensored and there is a lot less trolling than i see on many other sites. Plus most of it is just in good humour.

Last edited by Garion on %b %15, %2011 - %20:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
Cevap

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:

Personally I think Pythrr brings a bit of much needed comedy to most of the forum posts here, which increases smiles in the FUMBBL community, ergo improving the world a little bit.

I agree, it gives this site a lot of character, and makes people feel like a part of a big silly family( of some deranged and on times utterly disturbing sort Very Happy ). But if you have a problem with it, quite a few people have already said it: ignore them! It shouldn't be too difficult imo Smile
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

In B4 lock! Trololol.
Seriously, what?

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

"Anonymity breeds contempt."
- Anonymous
EvolveToAnarchism

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:16 Reply with quote Back to top

There's a difference between the odd joke and deliberately derailing a thread because you are bored with the topic. You can always start a new thread if you want to do the public a service and amuse them with your wit. Heck! Even the newbie trying to start a discussion on an old topic might also enjoy your new thread rather than finding you to be an obnoxious bore. But you have a choice.

But please don't silence the original posters by getting the thread locked due to your behaviour.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:30 Reply with quote Back to top

‘Troll’ is one of those massively overused terms in forums such as this like ‘balance’ or ‘overpowered’ that I’m not convinced half of those that accuse really understand or put any thought into before they post.

Obviously, as a moderator my viewpoint is coloured, but I think the site does a really good (in terms of a relative internet sample) job of looking after poor forum behaviour, an example of which was the locking of the thread in question which got personal and had no place. It’s a constant theme that naming and shaming won’t do, and so it should be.

Frankly, I think if I were to throw out the label of ‘troll’ to anyone, Evo’s constant spam for the sake of arguing (when he’s around) posts and indeed, the very formation of this thread count much more heavily than pythrr’s irreverent contributions. I’ve always felt (even before the mod thing) this forum held an excellent middle ground between the forum that lets anything go and the silly over policed TFF esq forum where the iron fisted moderation let’s loons run wild. And long may it continue.

People should remember just because they start a thread, they don’t own it. As with literature; the author’s authority goes out of the window the instant the work is published, it’s the property of all. If it naturally goes off topic, or indeed is steered that way because the conversation runs dry; that’s the way of the World. If you think it’s bad form then fine, but some sort of on topic quota to posts would ruin a friendly chat.
pizzamogul

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Does Fumbbl need a forum for heavily-moderated, serious discussion?

Something like We Saved Hitler's Brain over on Cracked.com where the mods prune off-topic posts, keep the discussion centered around that Opening Post, and shut down threads were the OP fails to meets the criteria of "worthiness" laid out in the rules.

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 21:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Calcium wrote:
Don't like someone's conduct here? Avoid them and ignore their input. It's worked for me since my break... Wink

Thank u Calc. I certainly try.
Chewie

Post   Posted: Jul 15, 2011 - 21:20 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Calcium wrote:

Thank u Calc. I certainly try.

I want to know why you are derailing this thread pyth. Were you not given enough love as a child?

Frankly, i find pyth's "attempts" at humour to be just that. "Attempts" and poor ones at that. Pyth must try harder before i think he's funny. (Well, i think he's funny, just not in a hahaha funny way.) Wink
Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
 Jump to: