26 coaches online • Server time: 01:51
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
TTS

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 13:55 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think you understand what that word means. You don't have to point a finger at someone and tell them to get out to ostracize them. It can happen as a matter of habit by the community.
SillySod

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 13:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Generally the forum is fine. I'm not a huge fan of some of the trolls and I wish that the forum tended towards more actual contect. However, I think the forum is fine as a whole. At worst it just needs a little bit of housekeeping and reorganisation.

shadow46x2 wrote:
additionally...remember a long time ago when meech scanned through the entire forum, and never once found an instance where a "newb" was treated poorly, unless they opened up with their own level of vitriol?...

Poor treatment is subjective. There are at least a few instances of people spamming threads with unhelpful comments (spamming = over lots of threads, by unhelpful I mean unhelpful rather than rude). I agree that this isnt the end of the world but its tricky to see it as a positive thing.

Look at it this way: even if the mistreatment is purely ficticious it is still a very real, very common fiction. Creating a soft cushion forum for rookies would be beneficial because it would dispell the illusion of unsafety... the intent of the new forum wouldnt be to treat them any differently (lets assume that they are already being well treated) but to encourage them to participate in the community.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
patches

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Totally agree, the other day, a new guy came onto the IRC and said 'hey, I have a question, can anyone help?' he got 'there is a help guide! don't pester us here!'

Turns out all he wanted to know, was if you had to download the client.

I think we need a 'newbie' forum Smile
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
I find it surprising that people are so selfish and assume other coaches are willing to spend hours on newbies to teach them. Don't get me wrong, something like that would make fumbbl a better place to a certain extend. But for most of us, playing a game on fumbbl is a time to relax, a time you enjoy, a time not working...

That sounds kinda funny coming from an admin. Wink

To some people playing a laid back training game that might take 90+mins vs a new coach who likes a laugh and a chat is much more fun and more relaxing than playing a 45min game vs some competitive hard ass.

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:05 Reply with quote Back to top

http://fumbbl.com/help:CRP

What more can anyone want?

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:06 Reply with quote Back to top

patches wrote:
Totally agree, the other day, a new guy came onto the IRC and said 'hey, I have a question, can anyone help?' he got 'there is a help guide! don't pester us here!'

Oh good lord, shadow still does that? Sad

Honestly, I always thought that IRC was where most of the mistreatment actually happens.

Cloggy wrote:

They want that. But without a snarky comment.

"There are those to whom knowledge is a shield. There are those to whom it is a weapon. Neither view is balanced."
patches

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:10 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
patches wrote:

Oh good lord, shadow still does that? Sad

Honestly, I always thought that IRC was where most of the mistreatment actually happens.

Cloggy wrote:

Wasn't shadow, some other dude. Yeah exactly! point them too it, don't be rude. Or least ask what their question is, I wonder how many people have been put off the site due to this....
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:11 Reply with quote Back to top

SillySod wrote:
Cloggy wrote:

wow...it's not like there's a link at the top of the page that says "help"....

and it's not like if you click on it, there's not a big, bolded link at the top of the page that says "2011 - New coaches Quick Start guide (CRP/LRB6)" that goes directly to that page...

--j

ps...and it's actually a surprisingly well put together page...props to the coaches who have submitted to that...

ImageImage
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:21 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Woodstock wrote:
I find it surprising that people are so selfish and assume other coaches are willing to spend hours on newbies to teach them. Don't get me wrong, something like that would make fumbbl a better place to a certain extend. But for most of us, playing a game on fumbbl is a time to relax, a time you enjoy, a time not working...

To some people playing a laid back training game that might take 90+mins vs a new coach who likes a laugh and a chat is much more fun and more relaxing than playing a 45min game vs some competitive hard ass.

Why? Because admins can't have personal opinions? Any way, a lot of people always scream they want to help, but once you ask them, the have 'no time' any more. Hypocrites... a lot more then you want to believe.

I hope the idea I developed with Ro will be implemented, because that would make [A] actually the place it should be, and something totally different from all the other divisions. I don't think I will be involved in the actual teaching, because I'm not that kind of person, I don't have the patience for it. Self knowledge is the path to wisdom or some one liner like that... Twisted Evil
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
koadah wrote:
Woodstock wrote:

Why? Because admins can't have personal opinions? Any way, a lot of people always scream they want to help, but once you ask them, the have 'no time' any more. Hypocrites... a lot more then you want to believe.

I hope the idea I developed with Ro will be implemented, because that would make [A] actually the place it should be, and something totally different from all the other divisions. I don't think I will be involved in the actual teaching, because I'm not that kind of person, I don't have the patience for it. Self knowledge is the path to wisdom or some one liner like that... Twisted Evil

It's funny because being an admin seems like a lot of work. Maybe enough to drive a person crazy. Wink

You don't want to teach rookies and I don't want to be an admin. It takes all sorts. Wink

I'm just wondering how long it will take to implement the new [A] and how many potential recruits we lose between now and then.

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, so Admins, Newbies and hardcore dinosaur Fumbblers are people too.

Now that's settled can't we all have a nice group hug? Or for those of you who shy away from human contact, a creepy wink.

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:54 Reply with quote Back to top

I'll stick to a simple handshake Royston. And then I run off...

But koadah, nothing is stopping you (or any one else) from making your own group in [L] and start helping newbies. And why this has not happened yet... Well, you come back to what I said earlier.
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
I'll stick to a simple handshake Royston. And then I run off...

But koadah, nothing is stopping you (or any one else) from making your own group in [L] and start helping newbies. And why this has not happened yet... Well, you come back to what I said earlier.

Is that a joke?

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought the 145 group was precisely such a group. Perhaps I was mistaken?

Post   Posted: Jul 24, 2011 - 14:59 Reply with quote Back to top

To my understanding the 145 group was more of a league/tournament scene for CR145ish coaches. Not a training group. My apologies if I got that wrong.

Edit btw, I have an enormous amount of respect for koadah and his work for the 145group as well as the very detailed and extensive statistic site he made for the blackbox. It was in no way meant as a personal attack. I just think we have a different idea and therefore misunderstood each other.
 Jump to: