53 coaches online • Server time: 18:36
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 03:54 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Seventyone wrote:
I'm not really sure what the issue with having lots of journeymen is anyway. Surely non loner players are better than loner ones so playing with journey men means you are more likely to loose the game. I get that you don't want to have to play without war dancers etc but for the one match in question taking cash over players doesn't help at all. Maybe I'm missing something?

There are a few problems here.

1. You are using JM outside of the spirit of the game. I.e. instead of using them when you cannot field a full team. You are using them, so you can stockpile cash. Generally to avoid or limit the damage of spiralling expenses.

2. You are using JM outside of the spirite of the game. I.e. instead of using them when you cannot field a full team. You are using them, so you can avoid skilling linemen. This way you can keep your TV artificially low. In this way you can get more favourable games (due to TV) (and of course avoid spiralling expenses).

3. Regarding site rules. You are playing with a weakened team when you needn't. I.e. You could replace the loners and have a better team for that game. Now a one off game, isn't necessarily against site rules. However continuing in this vein is.

The unseen problem here, which is different to LRB 4. Is that coaches are differently. They are using much smaller rosters. This is limiting the tactical (and fluff) elements of the game. Allowing for JM use, outside of their intended use would highlight and emphasise this mechanic for perpetual high volume gaming.

As far as I can tell that is all perfectly within the spirit of the Box. Wink

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

Well my answer is the same as to Jimmy. This is the reputation box has now got. This is not the original intention of box or how it should be. Having a hardcore reputation is fine, pushing things to the extreme so it only appeals to the few is not.

Blackbox has probably suffered due to it's reputation. The reputation was gained due to the gun-ho; who have now either moved on or have lost most of their food source.

I'm all for protecting the 11 players on your roster rule, and for not having hard and fast monetary numbers.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

fumbbl's dying?

we have no other choice...

ready the Omega-13!

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 05:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Krill oil, Arktoris... krill oil. It's what keeps whales from having heart attacks. No small feat. I say we all pitch in for FUMBBL.
CastleMan

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 06:00 Reply with quote Back to top

I thought if someone was dying, you could sacrifice someone else in their place. Now as I pour this Kool Aid, I need to know one thing. Who else is thirsty enough to save our beloved site?
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 06:02 Reply with quote Back to top

As I always do:

I'll ride this baby into the ground!

Whiskey for all!
keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 06:33 Reply with quote Back to top

the_cursed_one wrote:
Fumbbl is dieing and its Chroister's job to keep this community alive, we can't change the rules only this so called 'wise ruler' who apparently knows best, but if he knows bst why do so many disagree with him?

oh because h owns the site. yeah but without the users its nothing.
So Christer get off ur high horse and fix whats broken.

You are a person that has admitted to emotional and personal issues which are controlled by medication. I think this may be one of those times that you need to reassess those dosages. Please refrain from pushing those personal issues onto other users of the site. Namely me. I'm not going to read the 8 pages past the quoted comment, as they most likely will contain others telling you that you sound like a big ass. They would be correct.

Jeffro
cdwat

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 06:41 Reply with quote Back to top

keggiemckill wrote:
I'm not going to read the 8 pages past the quoted comment, as they most likely will contain others telling you that you sound like a big ass. They would be correct.

The 8 pages actually contain contrition from the OP & some reasoned, interesting discussion from others.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 06:43 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Well, the new Box formula does have its own perversities. And traffic has declined a bit since I got here about 3 years ago. You can be extraordinarily grateful to Christer and all the others who've made FUMBBL happen, and still acknowledge these facts.

The real questions in the OP, once you break out all the rage, are,

1) How to fix the box formula? We knew we'd eventually have to have this talk again (who honestly thought Ranked rules would work as a blanket fix for Box?), so let's have it in an appropriate thread. I'll stay out, 'cause I'm mostly an observer on this front, as a largely Ranked and League coach.

2) How to drive traffic up on FUMBBL? How much traffic do we want? How do we get there? Would 50% more coaches be ideal? If so, the answer is maybe a membership drive or a reunion tour. I think the NAFC on FUMBBL is a very good start, but more can be done. As a community, we really can answer questions like these.

Poach Cyanide coaches in the darkness of night Wink
Synn

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 07:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I was kinda hoping this would be a thread where someone pointed out that having two main divisions murdered Fumbbl.

I guess we can continue to blame Cyanide for that 'games per quarter' graph eh?

More drinking threads please!

__Synn
**Google 'Network Effect' if you are curious
buuface

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 07:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Synn wrote:
I was kinda hoping this would be a thread where someone pointed out that having two main divisions murdered Fumbbl.

Hi I have only been part of the site for about 6 months now.

But I think having more than one type of division is an excellent thing.

Also I think people coming and going from this site is essentially people coming and going from Blood Bowl.

People get bored of things, move on, and (hopefully) return later. One of the things which makes people return is variation/update of the old, and the custom Leagues (Stunty Leeg, Secret League rosters, eventually) etc. are exactly this. Having one single division with only one single rule-set is not going to keep people interested forever, nor keep a more loyal community. The game has to both evolve AND stay true to the original.

Thanks Christer and co for all your hard work. I hope to be able to contribute more to the site and community one day.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

But we have 2 divisions with the same ruleset! Where we could have 1 division using both match making methods.
buuface

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 08:08 Reply with quote Back to top

But why would anyone who wants to win select the BB method of MM?
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Well why are coaches playing BB now? Because they like instant match making and they can get matches, where as MM makes i difficult.
buuface

Post   Posted: Oct 12, 2014 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok but people play BB because its more hardcore, right? More competitive. But picking an opponent is usually a much more comfortable matchup. So those using the BB method would invariably have a worse record over time surely?

But I suppose it could work. After all they are both 'casual' divisions at the end of the day..
 Jump to: