13 coaches online • Server time: 06:46
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Change the Scheduler?
yes, encourage mirror matches
65%
 65%  [ 88 ]
no, discourage mirror matches
34%
 34%  [ 47 ]
Total Votes : 135

pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

JoseBagg wrote:
Mirror matches would be great, because it would thin the field of these monster destruction teams.

Currently, it is a little biased, since the big killer teams don't have to face killer teams as much, since the mirror matches are discouraged. So big killer teams would naturally have a longer life expectancy.

elfbowler
Smeesh

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Even remove small factors discuraging mirror matches if they are there.
JoseBagg

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:45 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
JoseBagg wrote:
Mirror matches would be great, because it would thin the field of these monster destruction teams.

Currently, it is a little biased, since the big killer teams don't have to face killer teams as much, since the mirror matches are discouraged. So big killer teams would naturally have a longer life expectancy.

elfbowler

Somebody doesnt' know me very well.
JoseBagg

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:46 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
Big killer teams face plenty of other big killer teams, since high-TV teams are mostly paired against any other high-TV teams that happen to be in the draw. Any small factors in the pairing formula are irrelevant if there are only two teams in the draw within 15% TV.

Follow your thought process to its logical conclusion and ask yourself what the high TV landscape would look like if the killer teams faced each other more often in the lower TV bands.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:50 Reply with quote Back to top

JoseBagg wrote:

Follow your thought process to its logical conclusion and ask yourself what the high TV landscape would look like if the killer teams faced each other more often in the lower TV bands.

The high TV landscape would look essentially the same. The killer teams aren't all that killer at lower TV ranges unless they're minmaxing. If they are minmaxing, they're not that likely to develop to high TV anyway.
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:52 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm surprised I'm still surprised to find out how not random Box really is. Can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm really looking forward to league!

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
JoseBagg wrote:

The high TV landscape would look essentially the same. The killer teams aren't all that killer at lower TV ranges unless they're minmaxing. If they are minmaxing, they're not that likely to develop to high TV anyway.

This is where we disagree.
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:57 Reply with quote Back to top

JoseBagg wrote:

This is where we disagree.

No, wait, you convinced me. Obviously this huge change (slightly increasing the amount of mirror matches) would completely change the landscape at high TV!
Macavity

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Yay! Everyone agrees!

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 19:58 Reply with quote Back to top

random, it doesn't matter when some of those other "big killer teams" minmax their way sub 1500....

--j

ImageImage
RandomOracle

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
random, it doesn't matter when some of those other "big killer teams" minmax their way sub 1500....

I feel minmaxing is a completely different issue from high-TV play. This change (if it is a change at all) might have a slight effect on minmaxing killer teams, but essentially no effect on high-TV killer teams.
DragonsMaw

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 20:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I know nothing about box... But wouldn't seeing a min/max killer team at low tv keep other teams from being able to as quickly go that route? Thereby reducing the number of potential killer teams? Wouldn't elves being able to catch an extra game or two against each other give them a shot at being a high tv team, thereby adding a bit more diversity at the top? Theories, questions, in no way picking fights with anyone or trying to badmouth any view thus far put out.

This matters to me slightly, I've always avoided box because what I have seen/heard/read says that playing squishy teams such as I prefer will just end up with alot of murder teams eating me alive... If something makes that less likely, i might even try... Prolly not...

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 20:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for clarifying, RandomOracle! I'm sure Shadow agrees, now and we can all be happy again!

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 20:04 Reply with quote Back to top

RandomOracle wrote:
Big killer teams face plenty of other big killer teams, since high-TV teams are mostly paired against any other high-TV teams that happen to be in the draw.

RandomOracle wrote:
The killer teams aren't all that killer at lower TV ranges unless they're minmaxing. If they are minmaxing, they're not that likely to develop to high TV anyway.

And only those minmaxing killer teams are the problem! If they are facing their kind more often, it would help racial diversity in the box, because if they play against their kind they (a) don't face other teams and (b) get beaten up themselves, maybe into retirement or harmlessness.
Timlagor

Post   Posted: Apr 06, 2011 - 20:09 Reply with quote Back to top

DragonsMaw wrote:
This matters to me slightly, I've always avoided box because what I have seen/heard/read says that playing squishy teams such as I prefer will just end up with alot of murder teams eating me alive... If something makes that less likely, i might even try... Prolly not...

Well if you tried it you might find it's not as bad as you think.. and you playing non-bashy teams would make it less bashy. If it's too bashy, it's YOUR fault Razz
 Jump to: