39 coaches online • Server time: 09:47
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Designer's Comm...goto Post Why did GW nerf guar...goto Post Request to Maintain ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 09:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Is it a nice idea to make a video about a bloodbowl game? Yes, sure.

Is putting someone else without asking or telling extremly rude?
Of course it is. A simple apology would have done. Of course instead of apologising making a forum thread about wether your behavior is wrong is just being an ************** with *********.
mayhemzz22

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

licker wrote:

You're worried about what YOU say in the chat? Good lord it's as though no one here understands what it means to be on the internet. Don't say anything you don't want anyone else to hear/say.

This.

I have said some silly thing in chat that i wouldnt have wanted people to see due to the fact im having my ass whooped.

but at the end of the day i said those things, so if you chose to upload footage from a FREE online game, i have no right to tell you not to.

i watched the video, it was interesting and if you need someone to be in your next vid please let me know.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 09:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I personally don't think it's a big issue commentating without permission. However CRUCIALLY one person (at the very least) feels differently and it is their right to feel that way and object.

Lesson learned, always ask to avoid any annoyance.

As a side note, you will surely find that by notifying the players in advance you'll find the in game chat will be immensely more involved and entertaining to boot.

Keep up the the commentary don't be put off by this minor error. I don't think anyone is that upset, on the contrary I think the general consensus is "Well Done".

Again I'd like to nominate myself for a "featured game".

(By the way, sounds like great advice from Painstate).

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 10:03 Reply with quote Back to top

1/ I agree that asking permission would have been the polite thing to do

2/ I also have no problem if anybody wants to commentate on my games, assuming they let me know first so that i at least try to look like I know what I am doing.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

@PainState
Thanks for the suggestions, will keep that in mind and try and make it more fluffy.

Woodstock wrote:
Ehlers, you do know even the big guys need to ask permission to do live casts? Doing replay casts however is something different.

Actually no they don’t. This might be tournament games, but not their own games playing on ladder or in ranked play. Go on Twitch or any other streaming site. Actually go on twich.tv and go into a LoL streamer and watch his saved streamed videos. You will find flame and people wishing each other’s cancer.

MisterFurious wrote:

Guys like Husky DO get permission before they post matches on YouTube. It's not like it takes a long time to type "Hey, do you mind if I post this on YouTube?".

Also when he live stream? The matches they NEED permission of is TOURNEMENT matches, not their own matches. A big different there. Some of the videos up there some of the big players do get flamed in the videos they have uploaded, you think he has asked permission to post the video? No.
You can find site online which actually have the replay of the SC2 tournament and also of normal plays. Both Day9 and Husky have used this and no they have not went out to send a PM to the players involved and asked if they are oki with them doing an analysis of it.

I did not think this was a big deal and assumed that FUMBBL was like the rest of games out there, but lesson learned. I will blur out the chat, ask for permission and try and add more fluff into it.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

mayhemzz22 wrote:
i have no right to tell you not to.

of course you do

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Christer

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 11:51
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Personally, I'd be happy if someone posted a video of a match against me, with exactly the type of commentary Ehlers put in. I'd find it to be a very good source of a different perspective of the game, and I'd consider it a great opportunity to learn and improve my own game.

If it was only filled with fluff and no subjective analysis, it'd be far less valuable to me.

It may be a bit different for me though, as most of my matches has at least one or two spectators and I try to keep my language clean at all times Smile If nothing else, there's a person on the other side of the pitch as well, and I figure it's common sense to be polite and focus on the games I play.

If I have a bad day, I tend to go quiet rather than complain in the chat. Or at least I won't type as much Wink

Bottom line is that I'd happily watch more gameplay videos like this. In particular, it'd be great to have this kind of commentary on tournament matches by a third party simply watching the game (although in this case, the blurring or hiding of the chat box might be a bit more necessary).
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 13:08 Reply with quote Back to top

I have no issues with my games being used in this way and as Christer said it might be quite useful to get another perspective on what I could have done differently during the match.

The only thing in your entire post I took exception to was this

Ehlers wrote:
I use IRC a lot doing matches to talk to coaches who might spectate it. They sometimes give suggestions or comment on how I play or my opponent play.

Now I don't know if it's just me but I would be pissed to know that while I was playing you, you were in IRC getting coaching and I'm pretty sure its against site rules and the reason that coaches can't see spectator chat.

Apart from that knock yourself out and have fun doing the commentary.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 14:46
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

For the record, it's not against the rules to talk to people while playing a match. Besides, it'd be impossible to stop.
Ehlers

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 14:51 Reply with quote Back to top

It should be "I used IRC etc."

It does not state in the rules on FUMBBL you are not allowed to talk to other coaches during your match, just as long as it does not slow down the game. Any coach could post in FUMBBL main IRC channel with useful tips to someone playing in a tournement.

And yes I did get tips, helpful comment and told a strategy I should go after in the first two years of my playing time here on FUMBBL. This was when FUMBBL was active, but sadly the group(s) I followed and the friends I made back then are rarely on FUMBBL anymore.

And I can tell you that I am not the only one who use IRC or other chat means. I have even played against opponents that told me they will try a OTT and would look the guide up in the help section so that it could take some time to setup his players. Getting someone to help you what to do or look up a strategy that will get you that win, same thing to me and I am not bothered about it all.

For new people coming into and play on FUMBBL can be a turnoff due to you get so many beatings that you begin to dislike playing on FUMBBL.

---

Thanks for the comment Christer, will take that into account along with Painstate suggetions. I guess a good balance would be best.
Fightingmongoose

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 15:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Have to agree with licker.

This is the internet. You are already in public. I honestly cannot believe that this has sparked such a debate. As long as no one is hurling insults or profanities, it's is inconceivable to me that people can be so sensitive.

On the topic of the video itself, I liked it, and would certainly watch more. I am trying to get better at this game. I spec a lot of matches trying to get some insight on what I might do better. The commentary on just what a good coach is thinking turn to turn is excellent.

Some people might be interested in a youtube channel called bloodbowlubernoob. It has gone dead now, but the guy on there, (s1nner) commented on cyanide games. There are maybe ten or so. Not super advanced stuff, but I found it very helpful as a new player.

Keep it up Ehlers. Very Happy
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Ehlers wrote:

Woodstock wrote:
Ehlers, you do know even the big guys need to ask permission to do live casts? Doing replay casts however is something different.

Actually no they don’t. This might be tournament games, but not their own games playing on ladder or in ranked play. Go on Twitch or any other streaming site. Actually go on twich.tv and go into a LoL streamer and watch his saved streamed videos. You will find flame and people wishing each other’s cancer.

Your choice, don't be surprised if the video is removed and your youtube account blocked.
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the clarification Christer, I was always under the impression that getting coaching through IRC was a no/no.

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 15:23 Reply with quote Back to top

btw, some on-topic observations. You seem to stretch your video and not keeping it in is original size and/or ratio. It looks blurry on my monitor and I think you could tweak your settings a little better to improve the quality. Because it says 720p, but it really doesn't look like that.
licker

Post   Posted: Aug 03, 2012 - 16:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
Ehlers wrote:

Woodstock wrote:

Your choice, don't be surprised if the video is removed and your youtube account blocked.

*chuckle*

So Woodstock is also a mod on YouTube? Wink

Seriously, ain't no one gonna do nothing, unless some tightwad gets a huge bug up their ass and sends multiple rants to YouTube over this total non issue.
 Jump to: