22 coaches online • Server time: 01:45
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2016 - 23:11 Reply with quote Back to top

This typo / change / delete as applicable was spotted weeks or even months ago. I think the NAF made a ruling on it in August?

GW have gone to significant lengths to say that core rules are not changing, this has been extensively reported. One might argue a trivial 10 k change to a Human Catcher isn't a change to a core rule (or in reality a change you'll ever notice), or that it's the latest in a number of recent GW typing errors (Sidewinder recently got 'Pass' and 'Block' rather than 'Pass Block', which was my favourite so far). Either way, this is not the first change to be spotted that signals we are to receive a whole new edition beset with changes. I don't think anything we've seen at Essen is new, it's just the hype train picking up; it's going to be BB with bigger bits and perhaps an extra 10 k for Humans.

Again: core rules aren't changing. Just before we get to 50 pages. Nothing much new has come along since May. The Skaven look nice, I think, but some of the other bits aren't much to my taste.

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %16, %2016 - %23:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Relezite

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2016 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

At Spiel 16 Essen, as the promo team there told me, in addition to the bit about the cheaper catchers, they mentioned that special play decks would be released over time and that some cards would be dealt out before a game to spice up the play. No mention of how that would affect handicaps.
plasmoid

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2016 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't have a link, but it has been said on TFF that Andy Hoare has confirmed that it is a deliberate change.
It was also stated that AV8 was considered and discarded, because the human catcher miniature had already been created, and looked too lightly armored for AV8.
Cheers
Martin
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2016 - 23:33 Reply with quote Back to top

To clarify on the cards thing: I strongly suspect that is to be linked to the fun / zany optional league rules they have trailed, rather than a rule for standard Blood Bowl. I shouldn't think we're going to see special play cards dished out in normal games as standard. I think we can agree that would be a change to a core rule.

I should sit on my hands. So I shall. I just hope no one is disappointed when there isn't anything really new. Wink
xnoelx

Post   Posted: Oct 16, 2016 - 23:50 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm assuming cards will be an optional rule, along with a few other minor things that have been mentioned already, but this price change does seem to be the first actual, non-optional change to anything, and has been confirmed by several people who have spoken to staff, seen the rulebook, spoken to Andy Hoare, etc. Which of course doesn't necessarily mean that there will be any other changes. And possibly the change has been discussed elsewhere previously, but I only just saw it, and it hasn't been discussed here; hence I posted it. I'm not drawing any conclusions, or implying anything else. Though I'm sure others will.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 00:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Absolutely fine, but you know how these things go, it quickly snowballs. It does strongly appear that 60 k Catchers are going to be an actual thing, I have also seen GW staff say so elsewhere. However, they didn't get Varag's name right this week, so I'm not betting my house on anything. You could open a whole semantic line on what constitutes 'core' in the rules, but I doubt anyone's sanity could take it!

My greatest sadness is that the dirty secret might be let out. Human Catchers are already really useful and underrated (nay, mocked in some places), this might encourage people to get one, even if 10 k is a negligible change in reality! Wink

Last edited by Purplegoo on %b %17, %2016 - %00:%Oct; edited 2 times in total
Burnalot

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Orc blitzers still cost 80k, while human blitzers still cost 90k. Not cool.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 00:32 Reply with quote Back to top

I like this.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

OMG CHANGED ALL DA THINGS

One serious Q tho. Will GW tourney (like the WC) force people to use the new larger figures?

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 07:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Would be a bit harsh to not allow people to use the old GW models.

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 07:53 Reply with quote Back to top

How much larger?

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 08:42 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
OMG CHANGED ALL DA THINGS

One serious Q tho. Will GW tourney (like the WC) force people to use the new larger figures?

If you play on GW premesis, you play with GW models. That has always been the rule. I very much doubt they will force you to play with the new range; they've always been perfectly happy to see people playing with 2nd ed. minis, for instance, in my experience. They might try and sell you the new range as you play though!

It is currently a moot point anyway. There are more or less no NAF tournaments held on GW premises, least of all the WC, which would never have fit! GW have run one (with one to come) hype building event at Warhammer World in the build up to the new release, but it wasn't something you'd recognise as a BB tournament. The rules were utterly crazy and the attendees weren't the usual crowd of Blood Bowlers (in most cases). Since you must use GW figures on GW grounds and to attain NAF sanctioning you must allow all 24 races (Slann aren't going to happen within that Venn diagram intersection), the likelihood of there being future mini problems for those attending tournaments is low.

Throalf: squares are increasing in size from 29 to 34 mm, and the new mini range are based on 32 mm bases. So your old minis will fit on a new pitch, and at a push, new minis will about fit on an old pitch, but it'll be busy. Nerds are creatures of habit and they've spent a lot of money on their BB collections; I can't see the new size becoming standard for many years.
ben_awesome

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

If I'm not mistaken, that page has human team rerolls at 60k as well, whether its a typo or not.

And I don't think price changes are core rule changes (core rules being movement, passing blocking etc).
delusional

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 09:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Why do Humans need players to be cheaper. Usually human teams run out of skills and options, because they start skill heavy.

Give them AV8 and let the teams develop.
DeZigma

Post   Posted: Oct 17, 2016 - 09:26 Reply with quote Back to top

c9805222 wrote:
If I'm not mistaken, that page has human team rerolls at 60k as well, whether its a typo or not.

And I don't think price changes are core rule changes (core rules being movement, passing blocking etc).

Well its 50K Human and 60K for Orcs...