19 coaches online • Server time: 02:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft Leaguegoto Post SWL Season CI
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ziggyny

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 12:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Had a game between 1070 humans and 2020 humans today. It was interesting!

https://fumbbl.com/p/blackbox?op=scheduler&r=2014-01-04+03%3A45

I don't know that there's anything wrong with that, but if I was playing a behemoth clawpomb team instead of half-elves there might not have been anything left of the opponent.
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 12:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Although both human teams had better suitability with the dwarves in that draw but the make-up of the rest of the activated teams made the macth-up happen.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Jan 04, 2014 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Igvy wrote:
That the current system will choose a match up with 500k TV difference over a 100k TV difference match up.

For experienced teams? Yes we know that.

Doh, I wasted my time trying to spot the bug. Wink

Yes, I understand the restriction was removed. However I didn't realise that TV difference held so little weight when setting up a match.
I'm just calling into question if that makes sense.

While I understand the hard limits have been removed, wouldn't it still be better to link teams closer TV?
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2014 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

It is an anti-minmax rule. Teams with a lot of games played get less chance to play new teams.
happygrue

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2014 - 00:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Igvy wrote:
koadah wrote:
Igvy wrote:
That the current system will choose a match up with 500k TV difference over a 100k TV difference match up.

Yes, I understand the restriction was removed. However I didn't realise that TV difference held so little weight when setting up a match.

While I understand the hard limits have been removed, wouldn't it still be better to link teams closer TV?

It has a lot of weight still. Scores in the 500 area are terrible. If there is any other team closer with a similar number of games it would likely have been a better match.

To recap again (this has been stated a lot but it does not sink in): If there are 4 teams out there and a match is possible, it's going to find it. If you don't want to take the chance of a large TV difference, then what is required under the new system is to activate at a time with more coaches and/or activate a cover team (one with a higher TV). If you activate a 1600 and a 1200 TV team each with the same number of games you're going to see the 1600 team matched if the only available match is an 1800 TV team. This system encourages coaches to activate more teams and a wider spread. The only folks who get nailed are those who activate one team low or high, they are the teams that could see a large TV difference match.

That's not a total endorsement of the system I'm stating up there, that's just how it works.

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2014 - 01:15 Reply with quote Back to top

happygrue wrote:
Igvy wrote:
koadah wrote:
Igvy wrote:

It has a lot of weight still. Scores in the 500 area are terrible. If there is any other team closer with a similar number of games it would likely have been a better match.

To recap again (this has been stated a lot but it does not sink in): If there are 4 teams out there and a match is possible, it's going to find it. If you don't want to take the chance of a large TV difference, then what is required under the new system is to activate at a time with more coaches and/or activate a cover team (one with a higher TV). If you activate a 1600 and a 1200 TV team each with the same number of games you're going to see the 1600 team matched if the only available match is an 1800 TV team. This system encourages coaches to activate more teams and a wider spread. The only folks who get nailed are those who activate one team low or high, they are the teams that could see a large TV difference match.

That's not a total endorsement of the system I'm stating up there, that's just how it works.

2 points
1) This match up wasn't the only one, there was a match up to another team the coach had activated. This would have had a diff of only 100TV, however all other things being equal it still chose the 500TV difference match up. Hence I'm calling into question, do the match up rules make sense?

2) So people who live in off peak areas either get used to it, or stop playing?
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2014 - 02:00
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Igvy wrote:
2 points
1) This match up wasn't the only one, there was a match up to another team the coach had activated. This would have had a diff of only 100TV, however all other things being equal it still chose the 500TV difference match up. Hence I'm calling into question, do the match up rules make sense?

Again, if you want coverage for your 15+ game low TV team, activate a bigger TV team with 15+ games. The main point of the new scheduler is that rookie teams should not have to endure predation by griefers with minmax squads. This necessarily means that there's a loser in this arrangement, and specifically the loser is broken teams with 15+ matches. Those teams are especially likely to get such a large TV difference pairing. I think this is the right decision.

Those of us in off-hours time zones love it. Traditionally, we would have to activate a large number of teams to have a chance at matching, and non-draws were still frequent. Now, it is sufficient to activate just a few of varied TV/games played, and get four coaches into the draw.
nufflehatesme

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2014 - 02:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Kryten wrote:
Igvy wrote:
2 points

Again, if you want coverage for your 15+ game low TV team, activate a bigger TV team with 15+ games. The main point of the new scheduler is that rookie teams should not have to endure predation by griefers with minmax squads. This necessarily means that there's a loser in this arrangement, and specifically the loser is broken teams with 15+ matches. Those teams are especially likely to get such a large TV difference pairing. I think this is the right decision.

Those of us in off-hours time zones love it. Traditionally, we would have to activate a large number of teams to have a chance at matching, and non-draws were still frequent. Now, it is sufficient to activate just a few of varied TV/games played, and get four coaches into the draw.

agreed. more matchups the better.
big tv difference is no issue in league, why make it one in the box?
as stated, there are ways to avoid big tv differences if you really don't want to play them.

I personally would like to see more weight on games played rather than tv. my 1800tv, 300 game team has missed a few activations due to a certain 1300tv, 500 game team getting matched against 1200-1300tv 20-25 game teams, instead of mine.

I lossed out on the suitability score by about 50 points or so I think.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2014 - 02:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Well if people are happy, that is all that matters I suppose.
Dunenzed

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2014 - 04:51 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm also enjoying seeing the odd game with big TV differences. Seeing Morg and Griff on the pitch at the same time is fun.

Join the Human League Premiership!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jan 05, 2014 - 08:52 Reply with quote Back to top

because MOAR GAMES

Post   Posted: Jan 11, 2014 - 23:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Well I've got to reopen this. I did agree that if people only wanted more games this was a good change.

However https://fumbbl.com/p/stats that doesn't appear to be the case.

If the match up isn't fair, being forced to watch your team lose/die sucks big time. It may not happen often but when it does, it puts you off the box.

So while it seemed good at first, people got sick of it quick.

I don't really understand it to be honest, all teams will peak somewhere between 20-50 games. Then all the players die and you basically have a starting roster, with massive FF bloat. This change makes it really hard for all teams in this position. (Which the less experienced coaches are more often in)

More games - Yes! Just not at the cost of a good match up.

Please consider reverting.
bghandras

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 00:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Maybe not reverting, but refining. Those examples above are scary. And after such loss there is usually better retiring the team, as the next game could be also against high TV team, and I wonder who has the willpower to endure twice. So I can see people retiring teams after 30 or so games even before such pairing is possible, and game the system so that they get the equal matchup. I think increasing the TV's share could help somewhat.

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

TV 1580k Ogre (19) vs TV 1550k Chaos Dwarf (332) @986

TV 1550k Chaos Dwarf (332) vs TV 1590k Undead (69) @981

A 19 games team is preferable to a 69 games team to face a 332 games team because of a 10k TV difference?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2014 - 05:29 Reply with quote Back to top

That example is silly, also number of games has almost nothing to do with the scores.
 Jump to: