62 coaches online • Server time: 20:43
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
How toxic do you find FUMBBL's culture?
1 (One of the most healthy communities I've ever been a part of)
51%
 51%  [ 81 ]
2 (Nothing the article describes happens at FUMBBL)
24%
 24%  [ 39 ]
3 (About average for an online community)
13%
 13%  [ 21 ]
4 (I'm worried about some of it's elements)
7%
 7%  [ 12 ]
5 (So toxic that I tried to avoid it as much as I can)
2%
 2%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 157

Matthueycamo

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 22:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Endzone wrote:
@Wreckage

I am not talking about amazon miniatures or specifically FUMMBL. I am talking about sexism in the gaming community and how the little things contribute to a wider cultural problem. About how ignorance of sexism can lead to the sort of abuse the 13 year old girl received in the gaming store (from the original post) - I bet those guys thought it was 'just banter'. Ignorance and denial of sexism does not help with the bigger issues facing society such as domestic violence and rape. This is why feminists get so outraged - not about the little things - it is about the culture of disrespecting women that enables the terrible things. e.g. 2 women are killed every week in England and Wales by a current or former partner (Office of National Statistics, 2015) – 1 woman killed every 3 days.

So no, I don't really care much about amazon miniatures, but I do think it was worthwhile to share some thoughts about sexism. Maybe one day when a 13 year old girl receives an abusive comment from the games store staff his mates won't chant along - they will call him out.

The reason people get pissed off is it is not just women. At least one man is killed a week because of domestic violence. Around 40% of victims are men and I was reading on the BBC last month the number of women convicted for such crimes has gone up 6 fold in 10 years.

It is not a women's problem, it is a general problem that affects everybody. Until that is seen on the subject it will not change and people we see the sorts of feminists that try and monopolise the subject as an abhorent special self intrest group. Do you know a female MP laughed that mens issues should be discussed in parliment. Sexism is alive and well and nowadays it is very prevelent in certain sections of the feminist movement towards men.

They are all issues that can happen to everybody regardless of sex and until they are seen as genderless problems those types of feminists can get as outraged as they like that they are not getting special treatment.

About that section. Given the level of hyperbowl in the article I find it quite comical the thought that those guys could have said or done something like that. The absurdity of of the picture painted is quite hilarious, a group of men who act like some fanatical hive minded cult whenever they so much as see a female. Like something not out of place in a Simon Pegg film. In fact Hot Fuzz is pretty much what it reminds me of.

DLE College 7s
Dominik

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 22:34 Reply with quote Back to top

5.500 Germans of 170.000 immigrants. That is 3 percent. Others are from Eastern Europe and Africa and Asia. They are more traditional. Austria is not the most progressive country in the world but definitely in tier 1. Eastern Europe countries are between Tier 1 and Tier 2 and Asia and Africa is tier 3.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 22:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
5.500 Germans of 170.000 immigrants. That is 3 percent. Others are from Eastern Europe and Africa and Asia. They are more traditional. Austria is not the most progressive country in the world but definitely in tier 1. Eastern Europe countries are between Tier 1 and Tier 2 and Asia and Africa is tier 3.

Interesting. I suppose that these are the Eastern Europe countries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Europe#Geographical

That list does not seem to include the non-EU countries that are in Southern Europe, like Kosovo.

However, I've asked your tier system of cultures, not countries.

What would be your tier system for cultures?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 23:03 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf wrote:

i am scared to know.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
thoralf wrote:

i am scared to know.

All cultures are equal. Some prefer to have hot food, others not. That is all. Who am I to judge a culture where they regularly have a good brawl in their parliament or cut off the clitoris and labia major of little girls to kill their lust for sex. Prime minister Erdogan seized a newspaper? This should give us "westerners" something to think about. There must be a good morale of this.

Last edited by Dominik on %b %08, %2016 - %23:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
sann0638

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 23:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:
Given the level of hyperbowl in the article

Excellent new word! Exaggeration about Blood Bowl? Smile

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
All cultures are equal.

OK, Dom, but now I'm having a problem reconciling this with what you said earlier:

Dominik wrote:
[PC] is destroying our countries, as currently visible in Europe with "all cultures are equal". Genders are not equal, that is why we have genders. They look different, they work different and they make their holders act different. Even the brains work different. What we do with that is also different: Do we hand our boys swords to let them train their strength and do we hand our girls cosmetics to let them train their make-up technique? Well, most of the parents do so, but I believe it is wrong.

I don't think you mean to agree with political correctness, and I think you indicated a link between genders, gender roles, countries, traditions, and culture tiers.

Last edited by thoralf on %b %08, %2016 - %23:%Apr; edited 2 times in total
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 23:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Matthueycamo wrote:

The reason people get pissed off is it is not just women. At least one man is killed a week because of domestic violence. Around 40% of victims are men and I was reading on the BBC last month the number of women convicted for such crimes has gone up 6 fold in 10 years.

It is not a women's problem, it is a general problem that affects everybody. Until that is seen on the subject it will not change and people we see the sorts of feminists that try and monopolise the subject as an abhorent special self intrest group. Do you know a female MP laughed that mens issues should be discussed in parliment. Sexism is alive and well and nowadays it is very prevelent in certain sections of the feminist movement towards men.

They are all issues that can happen to everybody regardless of sex and until they are seen as genderless problems those types of feminists can get as outraged as they like that they are not getting special treatment.

About that section. Given the level of hyperbowl in the article I find it quite comical the thought that those guys could have said or done something like that. The absurdity of of the picture painted is quite hilarious, a group of men who act like some fanatical hive minded cult whenever they so much as see a female. Like something not out of place in a Simon Pegg film. In fact Hot Fuzz is pretty much what it reminds me of.

Sigh.

I wasn't going to bother replying this thread any further, nor to what is, essentially, basic whataboutism/whataboutery, but, this is something I know a lot about.

First of all, you must understand that one of the issues with domestic abuse figures is that there is a not insignificant number of convictions of people who would have been classified as victims had they felt able to involve authorities at an earlier junction.

You must also know that while the numbers of women who have been convicted of domestic violence has risen in the last few years, the numbers of men convicted still outstrips women (and we're not talking about 2:1 or even 5:1 here), and also still grows at a steady rate.

Parity of violence has been theorized and debated since proper behavioural studies into domestic relationships and violence started. It has also been dismissed by the majority of research bodies and scientists, because, quite simply, the numbers don't add up.

The 40% figure you quote comes from the British Crime Survey. Unfortunately, it's not a very good source for things like this - it does not differentiate between singular or chronic cases of abuse, it does not include sex crimes, it does not take into account severity of crime, and it does not differentiate between primary aggression or secondary acts. It also does not differentiate crimes by perpetrator gender (as an example, domestic violence involving two males). Lastly, the BCS itself is, as its name suggests, a survey. You might want to look into how it is actually polled and then extrapolated and decide for yourself exactly how reliable it is. I certainly wouldn't be citing it myself.

The figures for the UK Crown Prosecution Service stand in complete, and vast, opposition to that 40% claim.

You are correct in your statement that domestic abuse is something that people of all sexes can suffer. But to seek to claim a parity in the figures and to otherwise overstate similarity in this area is diminishing to both the plight of the victims and your own standpoint. We do not need to magnify and exaggerate information (and by implication, minimize other data) in order to recognise the need for safety and support of all victims.

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 23:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Yes, there is a link. The more traditional a country, a culture is, the more traditional are the gender roles. That should not surprise us. Since I have no reason to value a culture, where people do horrible things to other people, if that is culturally accepted, I do not accept political correctness. It does not make US a civilized country but it causes a lot of problems and finally paves the way for a cultural transformation towards a backwards country. I can view that live in my country. We let everyone life their life, nobody tolds "them" what they should live like. The effect? Children in islamic regular schools (one of the many effects of political correctness) get books where Dschihad is praised and where disbeliefers should get fought in your neighbourhood.
An IS (islamic state) kindergartner was responsible for their education for quite a long time. Just some examples.
This is a trend which will not get stopped with political correctness, because people who know to abuse this correctness are already shouting "oppression" and "racism". It is the same mechanic some of you used in this thread.

Last edited by Dominik on %b %09, %2016 - %00:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
thoralf

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
Since I have no reason to value a culture, where people do to other people horrible things, which are culturally accepted, I do not accept political correctness.

Perhaps you don't accept political correctness, Dom, but it's hard to get you out of your underhanded ways to express a view that looks a lot like what is usually called ethnic nationalism:

Quote:
The central theme of ethnic nationalists is that "nations are defined by a shared heritage, which usually includes a common language, a common faith, and a common ethnic ancestry".[2] It also includes ideas of a culture shared between members of the group, and with their ancestors; however, it is different from purely cultural definitions of "the nation" (which allow people to become members of a nation by cultural assimilation) and a purely linguistic definitions (which see "the nation" as all speakers of a specific language).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_nationalism

The way you conflate nationalities and cultures provides a big tell, and this is why I asked you to clarify. Yet you did not.

While fascism can be seen as a form of ethnic nationalism, the converse is not exactly right. The same applies to FPO's platform, which includes a form of ethnic nationalism, but much much more, like conservative measures which you seem to dispute.

Last edited by thoralf on %b %09, %2016 - %00:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
Dalfort

Post   Posted: Apr 08, 2016 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

What happened here? I was surprised when the thread hit page 9, last time I checked it was onto 15, but 7 or 8 page jump over what started out as something so innocuous I am baffled...

And rather disinterested, is there a way to remove threads appearing in the 3 at the top of the page?

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2016 - 00:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Dalfort wrote:
What happened here? I was surprised when the thread hit page 9, last time I checked it was onto 15, but 7 or 8 page jump over what started out as something so innocuous I am baffled...

And rather disinterested, is there a way to remove threads appearing in the 3 at the top of the page?

Yes, don't post in them.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2016 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

thoralf, if you read all my arguments from my anti-religious point of view, it should make clear, why I am against THIS "multi culturalism". All immigrants except Germans are more religious than Austrians are in average and I just don't want that. These people live a life and have moral stances that I truly dislike. The people of Eastern Europe are significantly more religious but they are at least Christians, which means they do not hate the society Austria is based on unlike Muslims, where the majority of immigrants already come from. You people in Canada have no clue what it is like to have a large Muslim minority who feel no pressure to assimilation.

To get back to my initial comment:
Erotic player pictures (of women) are banned on FUMBBL because of [religious reason insert] and it won't get better with a growing number of religious people in the western world.
Many more aspects are affected with this mindset.
Woodstock

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2016 - 00:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Dominik wrote:
To get back to my initial comment:
Erotic player pictures (of women) are banned on FUMBBL because of [religious reason insert] and it won't get better with a growing number of religious people in the western world.
Many more aspects are affected with this mindset.

nope... nope... nope... us not allowing erotic player images has nothing to do with religion... Just good old fashioned standards, which apparently are quite rare these days. Nice try though.
Dominik

Post   Posted: Apr 09, 2016 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock, I am not calculating with a change in player picture policy on FUMBBL within the next few decades.
But "good old fashioned standards" have to come from somewhere. But where from? Maybe from a time, when everyone and everything was related to god in some way?

You get lashed in not so few countries today if you get caught with a picture of a woman in a bikini. That has a religious reason.

Last edited by Dominik on %b %09, %2016 - %00:%Apr; edited 1 time in total
 Jump to: