34 coaches online • Server time: 17:31
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Has Cindy Piewhistle...goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...goto Post Draft League Expansi...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 19:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Traul wrote:
That is only for Bronze, and in a limited way Silver. In Gold, the team stays in the same division season after season so a team better at low TV that plays 5 seasons could make the leaderboard with the first 3 games of each season if you count any 15 games. That would distort the competition.

No you wouldn't count "any" 15 games, you would could the 15 games of a "season", the teams with the best performances would be put on the leaderboard each quarter. You could probably do away with the silver division though.

just have gold and bronze, as the first 15 games of a team are really the only truly unique ones, after a draft, they will all be roughly around the same ctv.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 20:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry about that.

To answer your question, I came here very interested in [B] but decided after studying a bit more that minimaxing was not for me. With seasons, there is a chance of a new format where one can easily find randomized games but where the team-building and in-game goals remain the same as for a tabletop league, and that is exactly what I am looking for.

If seasons are time-based, then teams that do not reach their game quota get penalized at re-drafting time. There might be coaches who cannot reach the quota with a single team, but there can also be coaches who can play enough games but would like to spread those over multiple teams instead of focusing on one team. In a game-based season, 15 games with 2 teams are one season for each, no matter in which order those games were played. In a time-based season, the coach would be forced to play a single team for 3 months then switch to other one for the next 3 months to get the same result. Otherwise both teams end up with 2 half-seasons and get shafted at re-drafting. Playing one game in a time-based season format pretty much commits you to completing a whole season with that team or cut it back to TV100. Coaches would not be able to activate all their teams in the scheduler because they would always have to track how many games each team needs.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 20:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Traul wrote:
If seasons are time-based, then teams that do not reach their game quota get penalized at re-drafting time.

I think the current idea is that you only re-draft after having played 15 games. So everybody re-drafts individually.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 20:28
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

@Balle2000: Traul was responding to the idea that we had time based seasons with the year split into quarters.

@Traul: That wouldn’t be the case. If you used the book values you could hit the redraft cap with a LOT fewer than a full seasons worth of games. If you take average winnings and saved your treasury you’d achieve the 1300 rebuy value after 4 games.

It’s very unlikely we’ll find a solution that 100% makes everyone happy and caters to every play style. The solution I proposed wouldn’t suit my own play style as I’d only play a few games per quarter. However, I do think it could be the best way to make ‘seasons’ work for the site, and that’s important. If I have the time and inclination, I know what is required to compete in a season and I can focus on that (like people currently do with trophy runs) rather than them just being something always there in the background annoying people. It turns what people have been perceiving as a negative (having to cut TV) into a positive (a time-limited competition with a major trophy at the end).

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not sure where this time based season thing came from?
But we already know from the boss that seasons are 15 games at which point you either enter a tournament or redraft.

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 22:09 Reply with quote Back to top

For tourney players who are monstrously active in Box and Ranked, and as goofy as it may be, perhaps playing 3 or 4 teams at a time of the same type and variety to select the most competitive for the tourney in question is gonna be an adaptive strategy.
Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

mister__joshua wrote:
@Balle2000: Traul was responding to the idea that we had time based seasons with the year split into quarters.

My bad. Cheers.

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 23:17
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
I'm not sure where this time based season thing came from?
But we already know from the boss that seasons are 15 games at which point you either enter a tournament or redraft.

It was part of a long post I put up about 5 pages back, though I think the premise would with without them.

I don’t think anything is decided yet, that’s why we have a discussion and ideas thread. If we knew 15 game seasons had been decided on, there wouldn’t be much point?

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Garion

Post   Posted: Aug 16, 2020 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the 15 game season is pretty much a done deal. There may be a little wiggle room on the exact number, but it certainly has to be a fixed number of games for a myriad of reasons.

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2020 - 01:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Could it no vary by race?
Doofr

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2020 - 02:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Sorry to ask again , but im in vacation And font have the time to read all about the future new ruleset.

Is this the end of big tv bloodbowl except in leagues ?

All other teams will have go through draft every 15 games or so ? ;(

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2020 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Doofr wrote:
Sorry to ask again , but im in vacation And font have the time to read all about the future new ruleset.

Is this the end of big tv bloodbowl except in leagues ?

All other teams will have go through draft every 15 games or so ? ;(

Yes, unless someone can come up with some idea of how to make it work as the new rules are simply incompatible out of the box.

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2020 - 07:48 Reply with quote Back to top

With 12-15 games long season and no cap, high TV BB would remain. As after an estimate re-draft at 1800-ish TV the teams would rapidly grow up above 2000k thanks to the average 70k income and the steeper development.

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2020 - 08:25 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the perceived problem that seasons is aiming to solve is the 'above 2000k' part. In particular the perceived problem that elves and mutants dominate at that TV. Seasons can't really stop you from growing 300-600k fairly easily in any given season (with tournaments therefore played at the high end of that), so without a cap, seasons would do nothing for the perceived problem.

Thus the 'necessity' of the cap. (I'm inclined to agree with this perceived problem by the way, despite the fact that not only do I love high TV, I don't even think games under 1300tv are ever worth playing and I would change the game to literally not start until that point. Thus I agree with the need for a cap for seasons.)
tussock

Post   Posted: Aug 17, 2020 - 09:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Nelphine wrote:
But it then extended also into what would happen with Agi 6 players? (Which then also leads to, what will happen with MA 10 players?)

I recall Christer mentioned in discord that players with skills and stats that were out of bounds would have those skill ups removed completely, and the player would then be able to skill up again once they had enough SPP saved.