30 coaches online • Server time: 09:26
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Meat Grinder Season ...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Making Assassins mor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Feb 25, 2012 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Zlefin, many people have 'offered to help'; many of them have been complete hacks. Some of them have probably wanted to abuse the privelege. Some of them were genuine. Amazingly, Kalimar DOES accept ideas from people - but as he has stated since the inception of his work, many years ago, this is HIS project. If you want to help, that's fine - send him your ideas. You probably won't get any credit. You probably won't get any response. Your idea might be ignored. But if it's good, and the code is correct, Kalimar will probably happily steal it, and you'll get your fix.

However, right now, Kalimar has stated that one of the big things he's working on is cleaning up the code. It's gone through so many little changes that there are many things that ought to be better done, from a coders perspective. The bugs that are remaining, while annoying, are NOT major problems - and presumably Kalimar and Christer have discussed this, and the decision was that the best direction for the site and the client was to work on what Kalimar is working on. How fast will it go? As fast as Kalimar is willing. Why is it the best direction? Because they decided it was. They need no other reason, because they are freely offering this to you, and whatever they choose, they are awesome for providing this.

And until you put out your own project, do not presume to tell Kalimar how he should be doing things. If you can put something out, and after years, and years, and YEARS, with literally hundreds of thousands of people registered to your project, you feel that your way is better than his, then, and ONLY THEN, can you give Kalimar and Christer suggestions on how to run there site. And EVEN THEN, all you can ever give are suggestions. For this always has been their project, and they have always stated it will remain that way.

P.S. I may have facts wrong. I may have statements wrong. Do not quote me in any way. I am simply trying to say: Kalimar and Christer are awesome. Whatever they decide, they have already done more than anyone could have asked. Do not ask for more unless you can match their efforts already provided.
tchatter

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 18:07 Reply with quote Back to top

The only bug I have had, deals with the Wizard. I was planning on using it at the end of my turn, I failed a Dodge and my turn just ended. With no choice to use the Wizard. Which where my Opponents Wardancer was... led to the TD, since he was able to Leap for the TD, instead of being fried by a Lightning Bolt. Oh, well... bugs happen.

The only thing I am hopeful for is that the final skills get implemented soon. Only thing after that would be the ability to induce mercenaries.

I can live without either though since I realize that real life can get in the way of pet projects such as this. And RL>BB.
On1

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 22:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I kinda regret i mentioned the bug that gave infinite gold for inducements Sad

The first coach i played against was like: "Dude we can't play this match" Razz I had max of all inducements and morg and ripper Razz

On a sidenote, i think it's pretty sad that all of you gang up on Zlefin like this. Yes the OP is annoyed with bugs, and is all fired up because of a game he played. However he does calm down and states "it would be nice if" You should all know better!

edit: Oh and i like how my sidenote is adressing the issues... and my mainpoint was a random story...
cameronhawkins

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

jarvis_pants wrote:
And that if you hit your own player with a ttm that it ends your turn.

OH MY GOD I HATE THIS ONE
MisterFurious

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

tchatter wrote:
The only bug I have had, deals with the Wizard. I was planning on using it at the end of my turn, I failed a Dodge and my turn just ended. With no choice to use the Wizard. Which where my Opponents Wardancer was... led to the TD, since he was able to Leap for the TD, instead of being fried by a Lightning Bolt. Oh, well... bugs happen.

The only thing I am hopeful for is that the final skills get implemented soon. Only thing after that would be the ability to induce mercenaries.

I can live without either though since I realize that real life can get in the way of pet projects such as this. And RL>BB.

I don't think that's a bug. If I'm not mistaken, you can't use the wizard at the end of your turn if your turn ended in a turnover.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 23:06 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah, that's not a bug

if yr turn ends with a turnover, you're sool.

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 23:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Indeed you can per rules (not yet in FFB).

CRP p 70 wrote:
Wizards may only cast spells at the start of his own turn before any player performs an Action or immediately after his own team's turn has ended even if it ended with a turnover.
Lakrillo

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 23:24 Reply with quote Back to top

cameronhawkins wrote:
jarvis_pants wrote:
And that if you hit your own player with a ttm that it ends your turn.

OH MY GOD I HATE THIS ONE

Not a bug, but the actual rules.
From the turnover rules:
1. A player on the moving team is Knocked Down
MisterFurious

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 23:34 Reply with quote Back to top

uuni wrote:

CRP p 70 wrote:
Wizards may only cast spells at the start of his own turn before any player performs an Action or immediately after his own team's turn has ended even if it ended with a turnover.

I guess I was mistaken!
zakatan

Post   Posted: Feb 27, 2012 - 23:48 Reply with quote Back to top

MisterFurious wrote:
uuni wrote:

CRP p 70 wrote:

I guess I was mistaken!

it's not a bug really, it's listed as a client limitation.
Wallace

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2012 - 00:29 Reply with quote Back to top

This issue of open source has come up many many many times. Kalimar has stated very clearly the reasons why the client is not open source and they are very reasonable and understandable. My advice to anyone that wants to make headway on this is to start your own open source FFB client project. An open source project is a very different thing to a single developer code, so it would be much better to start from scratch than trying to convert the current code base to open source even if Kalimar changed his mind. If/when this hypothetical project is mature enough to outperform the client used by FUMBBL then you might have a fighting chance of convincing Christer to run with it instead of the current version.

There are actually a number of FFB clients out there (not just the old JBB one previously used by FUMBBL) and none are nearly as good as that used by FUMBBL at present.
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2012 - 10:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Guys! Why the hostility? We all appreciate the work Kalimar has done and is doing, but the fact that it's voluntary work and free, shouldn't make it immune to critic or impatience. By accepting the job of coding the new client, and choosing how it would be done, I'm sure Kalimar was aware of what it implied. Asking when bugs are gonna get fixed is an honest question. I for one wouldn't mind seeing more updates, even if there's no tangible fixes, just to know someone is still working on it.

When that is said, anyone criticizing or asking it to hurry up, should probably make sure their language doesn't come out as insulting or rude, or be struck down by the wrath of the FUMBBL mob.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2012 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
When that is said, anyone criticizing or asking it to hurry up, should probably make sure their language doesn't come out as insulting or rude, or be struck down by the wrath of the FUMBBL mob.

Claw, Mighty Post, Piling On. I fear the mob!
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2012 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

it wasn't the fact that someone had criticism...

it was the douchey attitude that coupled with that criticism....

--j

ImageImage
koadah

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2012 - 15:12 Reply with quote Back to top

shadow46x2 wrote:
it wasn't the fact that someone had criticism...

it was the douchey attitude that coupled with that criticism....

--j

I've gotta agree with Shadow as he is the expert on 'tone' in forum posts. Very Happy

Jump to: