31 coaches online • Server time: 14:37
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
j0Shi

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 20:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey there Smile

I choose Necromantic to be the only race that I will play for a while since I just had a lot of fun playing them.
Especially since a few days, I stayed with this team for a dozen games or so.

http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=532680

As they now got 30+ games on their career and are close to TS200 (in fact, they have been above TS200 but suffered in their last game) I am kind of unsatisfied with the progression of the team. Only a Ghoul, Wight and a Zomb got 2+ Skills on the roster and I experienced rough times in getting decent matchups and SSPs.

This is mostly because most coaches of agile teams (AG3-4, AV7-Cool won't play Necros, so the team is forced to play teams that outguard or outstrength them or even both. Another fact that reduces the coach or team pool to play against are the DPs. On a Necro team, other than on a normal bashing team, the DPs are -in my eyes- the only quite reliable way to get Guard and ST4/5 - players off the field or stunned, unless you have a MB/Claw-WW.

But anyway, those kind of games against bashy teams are not high SSP games for me. Against AV9 you hardly hit a CAS, the AG5 - Ghoul has 1-3 passes / game and the WWs are scoring once or twice. Best example are the two Golems right now. Both need 2 SSP for their next skill, but constantly teamed up with some BOBs, Saurus, CDBs, DBs or CWs they have a hard time to develop.

So I asked myself if the Necromantiv team is to reliant on characteristic improvements to really compete with Dwarfs, Chaos, Orcs and such stuff, because other matchups don't come around the corner that often for the above reasons.
I once had two +ST - Zombies and I appreciated that a lot, but they died and niggled out in consecutive games. You are much more stable against those kind of teams and can use other players to score and such stuff.

Your opinion?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 20:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Necro are in the bottom third of teams unless you're running them for specific Count SMACK-esq reasons. They're expensive for what you get, they break easily at the AG3 position, they can't catch and down Elves, they lack Guard and / or strength to cope with bashers... Even with a heap of +ST, you still aren't beating Elves even if you can get a fragile team to play them, and something like a Longbeard can pin a poorly placed ST4 Zombie for 8 turns without thinking about it. ST 4 isn't going to make a huge difference.

The heartbeat of the team, in my opinion, is your AG2 backbone. Fleshies, Zombies, this is the crux of a Necro team that wins more than it loses over time. Get them skilled, and when that 120k showpony of a Wolf goes 1,1, RIP, you still have a team that can scrabble a result sometimes. Use DP intelligently (and no - I don't mean take 10 and foul every turn), position fantastically and you might get yourself a half-decent team.

Have fun with them, they're cool (one of the coolest races there is) and they're fun especially in an open system. Just don't go in thinking they're better than they are! Wink
pythrr

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

j0Shi wrote:
This is mostly because most coaches of agile teams (AG3-4, AV7-Cool won't play Necros,

Amen brother!
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 20:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Why do agile teams dodge necros?
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 20:59 Reply with quote Back to top

TheCetusProject wrote:

They shouldn't, since they're easy wins.

Still, 2 x Claw and a few DPs is too much for a lot of wuss... erm, agile coaches.
j0Shi

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 21:12 Reply with quote Back to top

TheCetusProject wrote:

Dunno, if ya find one of my Necro teams on GF ... don't hesitate :]
That's just my personal experience from the last few days of excessive playing Wink
PainState

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 21:16 Reply with quote Back to top

In the end agile teams/Elfballers only care about not getting hurt. They like to score TD's and run around throwing no fouls and taking no fouls and winning is the secondary concern.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 21:41 Reply with quote Back to top

necroooooooooooooooo.

Necro can struggle at higher tr, but only without doubles not +st. At higher tr you are forced more into playing bashy and for the 2-1, for that you need guard, and therfore doubles other than the golems.

I agree with purp, you need to focus on the rest of the team. I'm now thinking that giving golems mighty blow as their first skill is the way forward, turn them into mummys, and then when wolfy chops goes splat you can play like undead.

I too have noticed most people dodging necro, its because they are all cowards. Smile

If you are interested in joining please get in touch.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Purplegoo wrote:
TheCetusProject wrote:

They shouldn't, since they're easy wins.

Still, 2 x Claw and a few DPs is too much for a lot of wuss... erm, agile coaches.

I don't find them easy wins...I get pwn'd all the time.

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 23:04 Reply with quote Back to top

They are heaps of fun and in a closed league the lesser armoured ones cannot dodge you.
6+6 is still an easy choice for +ST but like the others said that won;t save the team alone, guard and positioning is way more important (and reliable).

Mightypeon

Post   Posted: Feb 28, 2009 - 23:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Actually, my own record against necros is fairly abysmal, But I second purple, the Zombies, FGs are the heart of the team, a bit like Saurus beeing the heart of LZM teams, just in a less obvious way.
Zombie69

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2009 - 00:50 Reply with quote Back to top

j0Shi wrote:
the AG5 - Ghoul has 1-3 passes / game

This is not answering your question at all but i felt i really needed to comment on this to help you out.

Making passes with that ghoul is actually the last thing i'd want to do. Your ghoul already has all the skills it needs and at this point, any extra SPP mostly just means getting closer to aging and retirement.

You should do everything you can to avoid letting that ghoul get any SPP whatsoever. On offense, hold the ball for a while and then hand it off to another player to score. On defense, either don't field the ghoul at all, or just use it to scoop up a loose ball and hand it off.

The longer you can keep that ghoul from aging, the longer your team can keep on competing at a decently high level.

As for your question, the main strength of necro is the two amazing star players they have access to. If you want to win with them, use them in tournaments and hire some star players!
TheCetusProject

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2009 - 01:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I am 8/2/0 against necro with dark elves, suffering only 1.5 cas per game, so elfbowlers should stop being cowards and play against this race, they are not so scary.
Kenty

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2009 - 01:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Necros are reliant upon dedicated coaches who love and develop them appropriately. Do not get attached to your wolves and ghouls. Learn to love your zombies and golems. Expect to win about 40% of your games and expect 75% of your games to be against bashy teams. It's great fun. Enjoy!
Kondor

Post   Posted: Mar 01, 2009 - 10:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, after this inspiration, I started a necro team with no wolves. They will be purchased asap, but until then, lets see what happens.
 Jump to: