46 coaches online • Server time: 16:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TSC Draftgoto Post 4,000TV!goto Post IBA Draft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is it wrong to cheat?
Yes. Most definitely.
91%
 91%  [ 154 ]
No. Winning is the most important thing.
8%
 8%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 168

bobafettsmum

Post 22 Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

With the cheating that was uncovered on the site and the Henry/France qualification for the world cup storm, I thought it would be interesting to find out what the general community thought about cheating.

I recently posted a couple of blogs about this subject and got some interesting comments.
http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=blog&coach=67469

So I thought I'd try and get a definitive answer as to the feelings on cheating by polling the community.

Is it wrong to cheat?

harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Melmoth

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 15:49 Reply with quote Back to top

/me grabs some Popcorn
p4m

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 15:50 Reply with quote Back to top

er... "to cheat" is allways bad...

the question is: "what is cheating to you?"
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 15:51 Reply with quote Back to top

No seriously?
Cloggy

Comitting a foul and cheating are very different things in my view.

On the Henry thing:

Henry committed a foul, and didn't get spotted by the referee. I'm quite sure there were other fouls in the game that went unpunished as well. They simply didn't have as big an impact on the outcome of the game as this one.

So, while I don't think cheating is ok I have kind of had it with all the "righteous" indignation about this one.

Cheating on the scale that apparently took place here on Fumbbl is a larger matter altogether, even though the impact is of course much smaller.

This will be a mighty pyre....
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 15:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The Henry thing is TOTALLY different to the FUMBBL cheating ring.

If you can cheat on the field of play and the Ref doesn't notice, then fine. I'm amazed by the outcry over Henry, amazed.

I watch / play Rugby where the 'line' is awfully muddy, the Open Side is basically employed to cheat and not get caught, that's his entire job. See Fouling in BB. It's not allowed (hence the ref sends you off), but if you can get away with it, grand. Part of the game.

However, match-fixing, bloodgate, steroids? That's not in game cheating, that's out of game cheating; not within the field of play, not Cricket. That's where the FUMBBL cheating ring is - it's wrong.

I think the line is pretty clear. Henry, right side, FUMBBL lot, wrong.
Jeffro

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

I would never EVER cheat on my wife. EVER. Especially as she stands over me while I write this post...

Cheating is never an option (okay she's gone)... that is unless the chick has a HUGE rack. Then it's okay Wink
krytie

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 16:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm sure many levels of "optimistation" occur in this game, and everyone has their own line which they (would like to theink they) would not cross. Somewhere past our own line, we would consider this to be cheating. These definitions are purely personal until they break some official rule.

Imo though, in most sports there are two distinct types of rule-breaking: Pre-meditated and instinct.

Pre-meditated cheating at any sport is just downright wrong. The title "sport" tells it all. The expectation is to compete in the spirit of fair play, to determine which is the better player/athlete/contender. The victor is then heralded by all as the better of his peers, until the next competition.
Anyone deliberately setting out to achieve victory outwith the rules of the sport, is not proving anything and as soon as he is recognised as a cheat, will be forever scorned by his peers. This takes away from everyone's enjoyment of the sport as he has deprived them of a fair competition and victor. In RL sport, as well as on Fumbbl, one example of this type of action could be match-fixing.

Instinctive cheating is a near-involuntary real-time reaction to a specific event. This represents a single transgression or the rules which was neither planned nor likely to be repeated, but which may similarly alter the result of the contest. Henry's recent activity would fall into this category, as may any physical outburst e.g. in reaction to a bad tackle, etc. On Fumbbl this may also cover those who accidentally discover a difference in the client which helped them, but was not deliberately exploited.

Imo, this Instinctive rule-breaking is less of a concern, as the competitors are still intending to play within the sporting rules, and i feel it is up to the arbitrators of the sport to prevent sportsmen gaining any advantage from this type of activity. The "sportsman" himself should also hold a certain level of respnsibility, but this does depend on the particulars of the sport itself:
In football, referees don't always punish offences, and sometimes wrongly punish innocent actions, so it is not expected that the players attempt to reverse the referee's decision when it goes in their favour (as he would certainly not change his decision on the occasions it goes against them). In this way "good and bad luck" balances out over time.
This can be compared to the Fumbbler who rolls a string of 6s to score an unlikely TD -- is he going to stop on the line and say "Actually, that was so extemely lucky i don't deserve to score" ? No, because he knows sometime later he will snake his first action 3 turns in a row to compensate. His oppo can't offer to reverse the last nake, so why should he refuse his last 6?

Hmm, that was longer than i thought it would be Very Happy

For the record, I think Henry is a *** and would much rather he lost that match, but it doesn't change my view that it's not really up to him to admit/punish his own reflex action.

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 16:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny Jeffro... But if you get an "ok" from your wife it's not cheating at all Very Happy

Try a permission slip.
Espionage

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 16:38 Reply with quote Back to top

pie
Pirog

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 16:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheating ruins the satisfaction of winning. I have never understood people who cheat on internet games. Is the potential admiration of some anonymous guys worth so much? I don't see how they can't get any other personal pleasure out of winning when they know that they did it in an unfair manner.
Psilocybe

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

yes wheres the pie option ??

http://snigernissen.mybrute.com
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: Nov 21, 2009 - 16:56 Reply with quote Back to top

I sometimes cheat in singleplayer games to get past an obstacle so I can experience the fullgame without losing more hair, but cheating in multiplayer games is just poor sportmanship. And if you okaying some innocent cheat, you'll soon end up accepting harsher and meaner forms of cheating.