26 coaches online • Server time: 09:38
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 00:39 Reply with quote Back to top

So I've now played 150 or so games on fumbbl (so much fun!), and I think I'm probably up to being an intermediately noob (CR 150-155 if my box games counted) coach. And while Koadah has a good league for brand new beginners, I'm looking for kind of the next step up in my learning.

Now my primary team is Legendary Infestation, a mid TV nurgle team, and I am finding that I regularly am badly outskilled by my opponent.

The first 11 games they played (at lower TV) I was undefeated, with 9 wins. The following 9 games I haven't yet won a game (and only got 3 draws). Obviously some of these games (on both sides) were luck based (completely dominating an amazon team in the first set, nothing but pow pow pow, and having one game where I had 3 pestigors die, and the 4th pestigor got a retirement worthy injury in the second set).

So due to my pestigor turnover, I haven't got many skilled players (no more than 2 skills on any player, although one warrior is S 5 yay).

I've tried watching a few of Snails' Revenger's games, but the S 5 A 4 Sure Hands Pestigor legend allows Tarabarella to ignore threats that would be serious for a 'regular' Pestigor, and thus I have a hard time learning what to do in the crunch moments of the game.

My biggest problem seems to be lack of an overall game plan; I smash down the LoS nicely, and blitz the juiciest target I can find (although watching Tarabarella I have decided I should be trying to take out the opponent I least want to deal with, even if he isn't nescessarily the most dangerous - such as a S 5 opponent instead of a S 3 tackle guard, simply because I might not get any good chances later to take out the S 5 guy.)

But then I get into a bit of a scrum, and except on rare occassions where I can do a hand off to the other side of pitch, I rarely have any kind of plan for safely moving the ball forward.

My defense lacks similar long term vision, but for now I'd like to work on offense - assuming you don't have the dice on your side (and since I don't have any claw yet, I probably can't rely on effectively removing my opponents from the pitch), how does one move a cage forward in an effective manner when most of my players will eventually get tied up?
fangbanger

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 01:03 Reply with quote Back to top

once you lose all the pestigors are gone it is really hard to come back , due to there expenses and as long as it takes to skill them up , if your out of them completl;y its going to be 25-30 game s before you will have 4 again and half of them might not even be skilled up by then.
it might be easier to start a new team with two and start over again.
IMO

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

nah, due to having an undefeated first 11 games, I had built up quite a bit of cash, so replacing them wasn't a problem; just due to the +S and the other 8 or 9 skills (and I have a Beast), my TV is slightly high given that no one has more than block + something. So I'm just trying to figure out somewhere where I can get intermediate advice. (I also need advice for my lizardman team, but I have a feeling that I will need to cut quite a few players, as well as a few re-rolls; and while I don't mind losing the re-rolls, due to fluff, I'm loath to give up any of the players. But that's another story.)
Overhamsteren

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 14:09 Reply with quote Back to top

Focus on skilling up one pestigor with mighty blow+claw+pile one as the first 3 skills.

Maybe cut a reroll.

Do you have a link to a balanced game were your gameplay problems are apparent?

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

minmax

sack any rotter that skills

get clawpomb.

this seems to be the popular plan.

boring as hell tho.

oh, and sack the beast.

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 15:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Detailed advice for Nurgle: start using deodorant!
sann0638

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 15:19 Reply with quote Back to top

81-page Nurgle thread here:
http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29697&p=610994

Enjoy!

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 15:53 Reply with quote Back to top

sann0638 wrote:
81-page Nurgle thread here:
http://www.talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=29697&p=610994

I think this is a very good guide for playing against teams that are not loaded with clawplomb. Very Happy
NickNutria

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 16:14 Reply with quote Back to top

In Bloodbowl it is sometimes helpful for bashy teams to play a bit with the ball whereas teams with ballhandling skills also have to bash from time to time.

If you can't outbash your opponent as a nurgle player you need to score one more time then your opponent, if handing over the ball won't get you far you might need desperate measures and throw the ball Smile Protect your rotters and especially your pestigors, they are your ballhandlers. Try to get the opponent ballhandlers out of the game, they are normally the soft targets, don't bash against the main bashers for instance treemen they don't pose a threat for you to win the game.
pythrr

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 16:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah. Or you could do what clawpomb does best, and kill til it is 11 vs 4. Then you win.

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 17:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Your team's performance doesn't seem to match your TV. There's two ways to redress this:

- Drop one RR. They're 70k and you have enough blocking skills to see you through a half with 3.
- Get rid of one or two unskilled pestigors. At least one pestigor is essential to the team but after the first one you get diminishing returns. Unskilled pestigors aren't very good really. I like to add pestigors only when I have one or two skills on each other pestigor already as skills make pestigors important. Rotters are almost just as good at handling the ball but cost a lot less. With a starting team it's good to buy the second pestigor right away but when you've amassed 80k, your first pestigor already has it's first skill.
nin

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 19:04 Reply with quote Back to top

On common gameplans:
-Run, ruuunnn, RUN, steal the ball, run more. Skaven... you lack speed or agility to copycat that.
-Run, Dodge, Run, do fancy things untill your oponent gives up. Elves and Vamps and th like, again you need players that can do fancy things..may be Break Tackle on that st5...nah, not even with that. But could be fun, there are some Agility Monsters Dwarf team about that.

Those above are the plans that get more use out of RRs, as they do some 1d rolls.

-Kill, and then kill more, one or more each turn. For this you need killing skills...wich you can get, but do not have. At least one killer asap to blitz each turn. And 40k linos sound like DP (the dirty one not the disturbing).
-Block, block them all down, controll the pitch...humm, move the ball 1-2 squares, just in case (if you happen to have it). This, with your strenght and FA and Tents, you even have the block, but you lack the Guard and it's a dangerous game in this days of Clawpomb. Dwarfs are best at this these days, Chaos Dwarfs are also good at killing, and Nurgle has the potential to do both too.

Most teams have one and are very good at it. Hybrids have two (and Humans can be surprisingly good at running and killing).
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Sep 03, 2011 - 20:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Most of that 81 page thread is noobs talking rubbish and the rest is Carnis and me telling them they are wrong.
Clawpomb lots, dp on rotters, kill people.

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2011 - 04:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Don't do a cmbpo team in ranked. Hard to find games. But do one killer. My team goal is 3 warriors with block tentacles. Los duty. 1 Killer warrior. 1 Ball handling pestigot extra arms sure hands. Block tackle pestigor. Cpomb pestigor. Rotters get do, kick, guard
Nelphine

Post   Posted: Sep 05, 2011 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

thanks for all the advice; to those with specific game plans, thank you extra! I'm trying to avoid being a pure kill team (ie I refuse to use piling on now that I've tried it with my dorfs), so I'm trying to come up with the coaching skills to make up for my pasty softness - this is doubly important since I don't really have that many skills yet anyway.
 Jump to: