42 coaches online • Server time: 17:14
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post NAF Charity Tourney ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
anisdrin

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 18:30 Reply with quote Back to top

My brother purchased Diablo III and gave me a trial of 30days.

I've been played a little and it's incredible the amount of problems they have with the servers, the time it takes to solve, and the lack of information to their customers.

Then I compared this with the service we have here in fumbbl and noticed how good it is.

When there is a problem Christer solves it fast and keeps us informed via IRC. Admins are easily accessible and solve problems fast.

So I would like to thank it to Christer and all the staff.

I encourage you to donate and help Fumbbl so we can all enjoy it!.

There's a button in the top right of the page. Click it!!
pythrr

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 18:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Aye, Blizzard is bollocks. And what's worse, it is bollocks that people pay for.

Donation time!

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 18:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Dont let shadow hear about this... he will bite your head off. But yah, blizzard is making a mess of D3.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

FUMBBL > Blizzard. Blood Bowl > Diablo III.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 18:39 Reply with quote Back to top

you people are idiots...

with that being said, you're spot on about christer's dedication to the site, and everyone should be donating to keep the place going...

--j

ImageImage
maysrill

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 18:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:
Dont let shadow hear about this... he will bite your head off. But yah, blizzard is making a mess of D3.

Heh, I've seen your Woodstock|D3 nick in the IRC list. Wink

I've been MIA for similar reasons lately. (L55 Wizard)

Diablo will never replace FUMBBL, but it will distract me from it somewhat for a while...
Shraaaag

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

FUMBBL and Diablo III are two completely different games, with completely different problems. Not sure why anyone feel the need to compare the two.

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:
FUMBBL and Diablo III are two completely different games, with completely different problems. Not sure why anyone feel the need to compare the two.

It is not about the game, it is about the issues. With the amount of sells from D3, the knowledge blizzard has with MMOs, you would expect these kind of, what we call in the Netherlands, childhood diseases to be minimal.

Instead the game was released in an alpha state, lots of bugs, unbalanced game play, lots of issues...
anisdrin

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Shraaaag wrote:

Just comparing the service level vs expected service level in relation to resources available, not the games.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 19:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Woodstock wrote:

Instead the game was released in an alpha state, lots of bugs, unbalanced game play, lots of issues...

As a side point...

I know nothing of MMORPGs, or really much about computers, or indeed the current big video game releases. Having said that, I see this accusation levelled at near on anything I take a bare interest in.

CiV, Skyrim, the new Star Wars online thingie, Mass Effect 3, it goes on and on and on (Cyanide BB...). What gives in the video game industry? I mean, when I was a kiddiewink, I don't remember games being like this. Infact, I remember Street Fighter 2 going near on a year over release date for the Mega Drive, and almost going spare in anticipation. But it arrived in perfect form.

Nostalgia on my part, or do we now have an audience that cares less and will buy anyway or an idustry that will put anything out to meet deadlines / games are so complex now, they're bound to fray at the edges?
maysrill

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 19:27 Reply with quote Back to top

It's a combination of much more complicated games (I downloaded ROMs of most of the old NES games I liked as a kid, and ALL of them took up a total of like 4Mb) and a rush to meet deadlines. There's also an element of scaling, since even a fairly extensive beta can't mirror the volume of activity in a released game.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
anisdrin

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 19:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Good point Purplegoo.
I think the fact that you can deliver a patch via internet removes the need to send a game in finished status. And this is abused by companies.
shadow46x2

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

anisdrin wrote:
Just comparing the service level vs expected service level in relation to resources available, not the games.

bold added for emphasis...

so tell me anisdrin...since you seem to know...how many resources does Blizzard have on hand?...

and please elaborate on what you feel is "expected" service...

while you're at it, can you please elaborate on your experience in either a) the video game development industry, b) software development, or c) IT industry as a whole....

this is the failure in this typical line of thinking, and that's expecting an unreachable level of service, and bitching when you don't get it...i'm not saying don't expect service....but at least put your goalposts at a point that is actually reachable...

every bit of whining and complaining(and face it, it is both whining, and complaining) has been from people who expect things to be turned on and everything to work right out of the box....and none of them have been people who have worked in the IT industry, or have ever been involved in something of this mass-scale....

here's a hint....every game ever released has bugs out of the gate...every MMO has problems out of the gate...

blizzard games are exacerbated by the fact that they are releasing software that is consumed by millions of people, as opposed to the much smaller scale that every other game company releases for...

to be clear here, i'm not an apologist at all...i recognize there have been issues....the difference is, i am a network engineer...i have lived through deployments where nothing goes wrong, no matter how much planning you do ahead of time...

this type of environment is not a "it works or it doesn't" scenario...there are problems...and with every patch, there are new problems to deal with...there is, and never will be, the perfect release...

get over it...

--j

ImageImage

Last edited by shadow46x2 on %b %31, %2012 - %19:%May; edited 1 time in total
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 19:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Does size and complexity matter, maysrill? I mean, I think Flashback (for example) was as complex and big as games got in it's day, yet was perfect*. As power of devices has increased, games can be bigger and more complex, but surely in relative terms, they're the same? Naive? Smile

Fair point anisdrin. That kind of looks badly on us suckers that buy them, mind. I just watched the Zero Punctuation Diablo review; not glowing!

*Potentially nostalgia like device.
maysrill

Post   Posted: May 31, 2012 - 20:26 Reply with quote Back to top

Not familiar with the game Flashback, but certainly large-scale internet deployment is a huge factor. As far as scaling, the hardware doesn't notice it (i.e. game X amount bigger and hardware X percent better roughly equals out), but the humans working on the code certainly do. Scaling the source code by a factor of X and adding X more people working on it does not equal out in time or quality. It's not X/X, it's X^2.

That said, a lot of the issues are overblown in this case. There were a couple severe bugs which got squashed (keep in mind, the game is now about 3 weeks old), and some persistent issues with the auction house (which features literally millions of people interacting, and which they are trying to bullet-proof before adding the real-money section; somewhat like implementing a start-up version of eBay within its game). The game balance issues are relatively minor, and are a result of a sample size of players that dwarfs the testing community probably 100,000:1, all trying to get every edge they can (and breaking some game mechanics in the process).

Oh, and of course, they are dealing with (no joke), international criminal organizations intent on hacking the game for profit, due to the money involved in the aftermarket for gold/items/accounts while the RMAH is still offline (which presumably will mitigate some, but not all, of the demand for illicit in-game product).

All in all, I'm happy with the game, the quality of it, and the service being provided. I live in an area with modern, reasonably-fast, very reliable internet, so the always-online only hurts me when Blizzard is down.

Author of Firehurler (Twinborn Trilogy Book #1), Aethersmith (Book #2), Sourcethief (Book #3)
 Jump to: