30 coaches online • Server time: 08:35
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Meat Grinder Season ...goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Making Assassins mor...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Jamumools

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 08:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Guys

I am new to this site and finding out I am not as proficient at Bloodbowl as I (and all the people I know in RL) thought I was!

I am using Humans in the Black Box, which I know is tough, but I want to stick with it. Unfortunately I have played against 2 or 3 undead teams and a dark elf team and they are just plain better at what I am trying to do.

Obviously, a Human coach should be doing the opposite of whatever his opponent is. If they're bashy, go for quick touch downs and vice versa.

Which leads me to ask - what do Undead do? They're just as quick, have dodge, and are really bashy with 2 Big Guys that don't need to roll to do anything!

Any tips on how I should be playing to counter. We're talking low TV here - 1100 or less (had 2 deads - one got raised as a Zombie!).

Cheers

Jamumools
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 09:11 Reply with quote Back to top

It's like a happy song... welcome to FUMBBL, welcome to BB.

1 - a human team should _not_ do the opposite of what your opponent does: they should do whatever is needed to win.

2 - how to counter Undead (at low TV). First, target the ghouls. They are weak, fragile, and his only real ball weapons (ok, and the wights, but the ghouls are easier to remove). Don't waste yr time on the zombies. Hit them to get them out of the way, but otherwise avoid them, as they won't die. Avoid the mummies, but laff when they fall over due to having no block.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 09:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Also never score quickly, you should only ever score in turn 8.
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

In my experience: If you think a race is better then yours, try it out yourself. See what that race struggles with. See what your opponents do to handle that race. Then go back to your old race and do exactly the same thing.
coombz

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

spectate some good human teams/coaches

I find humans really hard to play with and it's humbling to see how great some guys can be with them

definitely a tough team to play on box imo

That's Trailer Park Life.
Grod

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 11:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Humans are not the easiest team to begin with. Not saying don't play them, but maybe try a few different teams to get your Fumbbl groove on.

Oscar Wilde
pingus

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 11:45 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest I was trying to locate top coaches playing humans in Box and i wasn't succesful. Can someone point me to them?
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 11:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Neophyte

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 13:01 Reply with quote Back to top

Check also the group Human League Premiersip, they are humans playing in BBox and the season winners usually have outrageous records. Conference teams play at relatively low TV.

My one tip: skill the Blitzers asap, Migthy Blow and then mix of Guard, Piling On and Tackle.
...thinking a bit more: play to your strenght, which is speed (and your team is faster that Undead and Dark Elves, really), not to the weacknesses of other teams.

I used to play in several points of the pitch at the same time, instead of concentrating forces in just one place (Zombies shouldn't be able to cope with this)
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 13:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, blitzers are yr team, in many ways.

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 13:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Sillysod is your coach. Don't let whatever his current coach rank is fool you, he is one of the best coaches on FUMBBL and great with humans. Don't tell him I said so though.

Oscar Wilde
Jamumools

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 13:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys this is really helpful!
pythrr

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Sillysod is your coach. Don't let whatever his current coach rank is fool you, he is one of the best coaches on FUMBBL and great with humans. Don't tell him I said so though.

all lies

Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

This post is more to myself than anyone else. What I think I've learned about low/mid TV humans.

Hi Jam. I found I had to ditch my black box human team for a long while. And I loved those humans. (still do) If you are in the game for the team and the fluff (and liking humans, I assume you like fluff and team history) than the Black Box just isn't a great place for humans, unless you intend to STAY at low or moderate TV. At any TV above 1600 you start to get pounded on by CLAWPOMB teams on a regular basis and your human lineman are destroyed by ST4 piling-on monsters. AG 3 is pretty powerless to dodge away without creating several turnovers. At high TV in box, I would often get 2 or 3 cas against me on the very first turn, and at only 11 men (3 Loners) I often felt I had been robbed of the oppertunity to PLAY WELL before the game had even started. (let alone win) In Ranked division, you can feel like your early games are actually leading up to something, building towards something like a Major tournament some day. But in box, I was only ever building towards a massive string of smack downs to come at 1700 TV.
At low TV: In my opinion, humans need to use the blitzers to beat on AV 7 players to try and get a man advantage. Play bashy against elves, skaven, slann, etc. Without mighty blow, don't go out of your way to hit things AV8. (ESPECIALLY REGENERATING PLAYERS) Let Nuffle give you the cas if he likes, but trying to create them just ties up important players.
Value Guard highly. Block/Guard at MV7 is powerful at low TV. Make at least two of those guys. I see you have a Guard catcher... awsome. Rock that dude and keep him safe. He is half of a great defense. (see below) Look for oppertunities to assist on two blocks per turn, but keep him safe.
Have one tackle blitzer in the backfield to guard against the scoring player making a break for it. Without dodge, don't let this defender get tied up by an offensive player. "Protect him" with other players. If you can, also keep a Guard player back. (catcher is ideal) You should often be able to get a 2 dice block on the enemy scorer when he is forced to make a break for it. So focus your defense on keeping him contained as long as possible mid-field, proctect those defenders mentioned above well back, and force him to do something drastic and offensive turn 6-7. Hopefully he leaves himself open for a 1db or a two die block. A kicker helps to ensure a slow team wastes two turns just getting to mid field.

Get MB on your tackler to hurt AV7 dodgers whenever you get a chance. One POMB player should be enough for a team that should not focus on bashing. BASH when winning, but don't focus on it until the time is right.
Keep a man advantage.. have a 12, or 13 man roster. If you get a few cas early, this allows you to fowl with a dirty player and maybe even get more casualties and a stronger advantage. Nuffle will hand you wins via cas once in a while if you dare to try. But again, don't hit AV 8 for the sake of hitting. Take those cas wins only when offered. Stick with containing on defense, and slow movement forward on offense.

Keep TV low to win more. This means ditching the OGre and running with no apoth. 3 rerolls is perfect. You get two lineman with block for the same price as one Ogre. Two more low TV "blitzers" are vastly better than a bone-head who can't be relied on for anything. If you MUST have the ogre, don't use him for anything. Look at him like a road block that ties up the 8 squares around him but dosn't move. Ever. If you need to blitz with him you've messed up and should expect it to fail even before it begins. Remember, you can't plan anything with the ogre. If you try to move an Ogre with Guard into position, you have a 1 in 6 chance of him instantly being "removed from the field" for one turn. So any turn that involves the Ogre requires you to have two plans, one with him, and one where he is missing. That's a really crappy way to learn Blood bowl on FUMBBL. Any block with him is just an invitation to burn a re-roll and create a turnover. What about always blocking or moving with him last? Well, he's really just a bonus then and not helping your overall strategy. An Ogre is the manafestation of a human coach's desire to win by bashing, vice winning by good solid play. Don't do it. Yet. Learn solid play first. I bet you could get very good at using the "road block" method eventually. Just not yet... not at low TV.

Against AV8+ teams? Kick deep on defense, pressure with 1 or two guys, contain the mob until turn 6-7, then foil their scoring play. Replace your injuries with your replacements and try again. On offense.. hmm.

Against AV7 teams? Use Gurad and block to Bash the buggers. Foul when up men. TRY to foil their scoring play. When that doesn't work, bash more and score yourself. Second half.. bash more, score more. Then TRY and stop their scoring play. When you have a BLOCK skill advantage, AND a man advantage, consider man marking if he's down to 2 or less re-rolls, to try and get him to use them up on failed blocks or dodges. On offense.. hmm.

I've left the offense part blank. After 100 games, for me it still usually just involves picking up the ball, running towards the enemy, and waiting for something to happen. Every game is different. I win games on defense, or by being up men. Offense is a glorious mystery. I had some passing plays, but on reflection thay were risky desprate maneuvres not suitable for a turn 1 gameplan. I'd love some advice too actually. Just one offensive play against the typical dark elf team lets say. Go humans!
Oh yea, and a human team needs a logo. Send me a PM with your team colors and a link to a picture you like and I'll hook a human brother up.
Purplegoo

Post   Posted: Apr 23, 2012 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

pythrr wrote:
Grod wrote:

all lies

Wink

He's right. Silly is a n00b, and CR is everything. Wink
 Jump to: