15 coaches online • Server time: 07:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Making Assassins mor...goto Post New Team Page Beta
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 11:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Yesterday The Murker made a great banner for WoC.

which you can now see on the tournament page - http://fumbbl.com/help:Official+FUMBBL+Tournaments

When this was posted there were grumblings about the current Black Cup banner, people seemed to feel - the use of pencil drawings in the banner didn't look great and that it doesn't fit in with the other tournament banners for Black Box.

So I have given it a go -
new

current

new

current

and here are the other two Black Box Tourney Banners

If you like it I can swap it over on the tourney page, though final word is PurpleChests really.

Or if you don't like it, let me know how you think the banner should be and between the Murker and I, I'm sure we can come up with something?

Last edited by Garion on %b %24, %2012 - %09:%Jul; edited 8 times in total
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

i actually like the current one much more Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 11:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Pretty cool, I think the B and maybe the K could use a little more definition at the top, I was actually just about to type the R instead of the K.

Maybe a more stylised lensflare (like a 4 pointed star or the like) would give it more poaw...or maybe it would look crap who knows. Surprised

Well another thing is that it haven't got any chaos dwarf specific things on it, I guess Ulthuan Invitational doesn't either..well except for the Ulthuan name of course.

Thanks to the BBRC for all the great work you did.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

zakatan wrote:
i actually like the current one much more Very Happy

Very Happy

I don't actually have a problem with the current one either tbh, but some people do. personally I think GLT is the worst by quite some way.

but I have added the existing one to the OP so people can see the difference now.
Smeesh

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 11:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The curren BC banner is race specivic. I like the new one it fits the theme more and looks good.

Greetings

Smeesh

PS: When does the Black Cup start ? It is July?
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 13:02 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the new one is very cool. I'm always hesitant to re-do older work, lest someone feel like their original efforts weren't appreciated, or someone nostalgic resents change of any type. (nobody here like that, I'm 105% sure)

But awsome work!

If you wanted to get super fancy-smancy, you could cut out the old cup drawing and fade it to black, sneaking an outline or hint of it in amongst the darkness of the night sky beside the eclipse. Same with a small chunk of the chaos symbol on the opposite side. Kind of like the hint of the cup and Chaos in the darkness. Just something to play with if you have free time (nobody here like that, I'm 105% sure)

I'd vote for the new one though, if it was a vote. Great work G.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 13:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Smeesh wrote:
The curren BC banner is race specivic.

Well I always thought the BC fluff was that the tourney was hosted by the Chaos Dwarves. So their appearance is entirely appropriate (assuming this is correct - the tourney page doesn't actually mention it).

I prefer the current one, though it could arguably be improved (colourise the CDwarves?). But I do think it's cool that people are spending time on these things, so kudos to Garion regardless.
Garion

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 14:56 Reply with quote Back to top

The_Murker wrote:

If you wanted to get super fancy-smancy, you could cut out the old cup drawing and fade it to black, sneaking an outline or hint of it in amongst the darkness of the night sky beside the eclipse. Same with a small chunk of the chaos symbol on the opposite side. Kind of like the hint of the cup and Chaos in the darkness. Just something to play with if you have free time (nobody here like that, I'm 105% sure)

I'd vote for the new one though, if it was a vote. Great work G.

I was intending to do something like that, but I couldn't find a picture of the cup anywhere, and I couldn't find a picture of a cup that looked right for the tourney.
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 15:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree with a bit more definition on the B and the K, looks quite fantastic though!

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 15:02 Reply with quote Back to top

when you say that do you mean the bit I have made darker at the top needs to be a little lighter?
JimmyFantastic

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 15:10 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, just a touch I think

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 15:13 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah I think the Capital C could be too actually.

If someone can find me a suitable trophy I can incorporate then post it here. I cant find anything. Originally the idea was that ^ with a silhouette of a hand holding a trophy in the moon and the moon light was just going to be hitting the edges of the hand and trophy.
Azure

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 15:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I think the new Black Cup banner looks great.

And thanks to Murker for making the Wheel of Chaos - I had asked him since it was the only major without one and my bios (I think) look better when I have the banners for the various tournaments my teams have played in.
WhatBall

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 15:45 Reply with quote Back to top

New banner looks good, some suggestions from me:

1. Text looks a little too faded/blended into the black. Try duplicating the text layer to make it brighter and more sturated. You can play with opacity to get it just right then.

2. Maybe try adding the ominous cityscape over the black, but behind the moon/eclipse. It should be more of a faint outline than anything, just something subtle to give the banner a bit of added death. A hint of the foreboding host city if you will.

Great job.

Post   Posted: Jul 18, 2012 - 17:30 Reply with quote Back to top

@WB - It wasn't done using opacity,i used a layer mask then faded it out that way, so I can just go back to that part and paint using a paint brush and white, to make it fade back in, that shouldn't be a problem and should only take a few minutes really. I am going to add a trophy if i can get one and the city scape idea is good. I will look in to that.

But I think we need clarification on what the fluff is for this tourney, as some people seem to think this is held by CDs and you mention the industrial city in the current banner. but I can't find any mention of any of this?
 Jump to: