19 coaches online • Server time: 03:10
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post ramchop takes on the...goto Post Borg Invasion
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VonManson

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2016 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all,

So I am still learning the slann trade. My team is starting to get some development going on and I can see two paths.

Now hear me out people cause I know some of you will say there is only the path of starting to get the sorely lacking basic skills that prevent turnovers, and this I agree makes sense, block, wrestle, sure hands, guard are all so good looking and all a bit dull.

Now I have come to slann because they are different. They leap. Everyone leaps, krox excluded, though maybe on a double roll ha ha. Anyway if I start going the basics route I feel like I am making a poor mans elf team. All of them eventually get leap somewhere and that is the cage play, but they do everything else better than slann.

So my thinking is go a bit more left field with it and start introducing early skills to try and help push up a "wonky" team. So something like strip ball aplenty to help create leaping angles, dauntless, frenzy even to open up avenues. Also pro. I know it is high risk and when it goes wrong the drive could suffer but coaches may not expect such differences?

Any thoughts other than that I am clearly a nut job?
jdm

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2016 - 11:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Original team building ideas are to be applauded as they make for more fun games for you and your opponents. Otherwise, if skill choices were decided by consensus, everyone would be using and playing against the same builds.

If you have an interesting idea then try it. There is nothing to lose other than the time you put into the team (which I assume you'd enjoy) and maybe a few rankings points - whatever they mean to anyone.

Look at teams like Der Green Tide (my personal fave team on the site), Catching Waves, Me and My Shadow to name but a few. Teams like this add spice and variety to the site. And make for some of the most memorable games for you and your opponent. Do you remember playing against the umpteenth dwarf team or do you remember playing against the Agility Monsters?

Go high risk, go high reward, go into the project with a large supply of body bags Smile

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2016 - 11:51
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

I might suggest though just sticking with easier teams. Slann are hard and only extremely good coaches manage to pull wins off with them at nearly 50% of the time. Maybe best to play humans as they are the closest non-leap team you wont waste RR leaping with.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2016 - 15:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Go for it VonManson. I try out new play styles with various races all the time.

I twice tried an Orc team with no BOBs or Blitzers and tried to TTM every time on Offense. It was LRB4 so a deep bench on LineOrcs and Goblins was 1 key and the fact nobody knew I was going to TTM every time going into the game helped.

Surprisingly enough those TTM Orc teams won 50% of their games here IN RANKED. So crazy new approaches can work IF you have a decent plan and can stick to it. But they also sometimes blow up in your face. Worth the risk if you have the time.
JoeKano

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2016 - 16:10 Reply with quote Back to top

If you aint leaping you aint slanning. Leap every chance you get. When it works it will be awesome. Beyond Awesome. It feel like you have the pure love of Nuffle himself, the good kind, with lube. Most of the time it will be the bad kind, without lube, but that occasional rare time, it will make up for it. Oh glorious is the pure love of nuffle (with lube).

So something like strip ball aplenty to help create leaping angles, dauntless, frenzy even to open up avenues. Also pro. I know it is high risk and when it goes wrong the drive could suffer but coaches may not expect such differences?<---- This is where the fun happens

On your catchers, build receivers and a thrower, Hail mary on a double to make use of your diving catcher.Fend to help create space and other fringe skills.

Thats the way I went in Tabletop, will it work here, meh who knows but it can be fun.

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2016 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann are fun, but can be very frustrating, particularly for not so experienced players. If you are still determined to coach predominantly Slann I'd just try to actually play a little more (guess you played 11 Slann games spread over 4 teams so far) before worrying too much how to build them. Slann are weird anyway, not so much need to add a ton of obscure skills to get the "Slann are different" feeling. At least if you like to win games from time to time.
tmoila

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2016 - 16:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Slann are perhaps the most slowest building team. But once built they are strong - most likely best hybrid team there is. Like superhumans, which they actually can be called.

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2016 - 21:28 Reply with quote Back to top

I wouldn't take a team that is already quite reroll intensive and then add skills that add dice rolls or increase the likelihood of risky play without first adding some reliability - sure, people take strip ball as first skill on wardancers, but that's because they already have block and dodge.

Think of the slann ability to leap the same way you would a wizard - the threat of it is more often than not a much more potent tool than the actual action itself.

Post   Posted: Jun 08, 2016 - 23:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Von Manson: you Sir, are - as you said in the original post on this thread - a nut job.

But you are an inspiring nut job, and I love your attitude. It strikes me that playing in the same game or league as you would be bucketloads of fun.

Keep exploring your parameters of performance, fighting the good fight, and leaping the good leap.

Keep firing from the leap, mate!

GO FROGS!

Last edited by oozeboss on %b %09, %2016 - %23:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
VonManson

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2016 - 09:28 Reply with quote Back to top

If the threat of leaping is great to help with controlling them then frenzy surely is a must have, it will force them away from sidelines and into your krox in the centre. I am sold, next line frog to skill up gets frenzy.
oozeboss

Post   Posted: Jun 09, 2016 - 23:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Now that my beloved Kroaxigor, Three Mile Lyle, has Block (2nd skill up), Frenzy will definitely be the go for him on his next doubles roll (unless said roll is boxcars, as I value +1 Strength more on him right now).

Although the last time I rolled 6 dice on a single Block for him, 5 of them came up Skulls! lol