51 coaches online • Server time: 23:18
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guidegoto Post TSC Draft
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Coach_Cool

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi guys

I'm about to start a new D. Elf team, in a league, where I don't expect we will play more than 10 matches, plus up to 3 matches in a knock-out session to find our final winner.

When making my team I can only afford one Reroll, because I want 4 Blitzers, a Witch and a Runner on my initial roster.

The question is: Is this suicide, or will the additional skills I get from the expensive players mean that it's an ok tactic? Has anyone of you tried this, and how did it go?

The plan is to buy an Apo as the first, and get Leader for my Runner - which I expect will level up rather quickly, because in will use him as a "Runner" ( Laughing )

Thanks for any replies

Cheers
Peter
Seany18

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 13:19 Reply with quote Back to top

It depends on how you play. Some people's play styles are reroll intensive. I often start wood elf teams with 1 reroll (some with 0!) the difference being you start with 5/6 dodge for the important actions and can go through a game with less than 20 blocks (most of the time with block or 3 dice with tree if you take one).
For your roster though I am not so confident that it is as able to manage with 1 reroll as Wood Elves and ideally you'd like to score with a witch to get blodge and finally start making use of her frenzy (why have the witch if you have 1 reroll, no block and arent prioritising levelling her so you can start making use of frenzy?)
I am sure you could find a way to make it work, I think the 2rr start is better but best of luck to you Smile
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Dark Elves are struggling in a format as you describe, precisely because you have to pick between getting the positionals, or getting the rerolls. Whatever solution you come up with will be unsatisfactory. The good news is, at 10 games you can come out looking in quite good shape for the play-offs, if you play it right. You can get Blodge on a lot of players with 6 SPP and Blodge goes a long way. However, 1 reroll is just too hard, even 2 rerolls are very hard for the first few games until you get a little more Dodge. Sure, if you manage to skill your runner first game with Leader you'll have 2 rerolls for the second game, but odds are, with only 1 reroll, you won't be able to do that, because you will lose the game. Then no skills, no rerolling the winnings, and it's a downward spiral. Also, you'll want all the SPP you can get on your Blitzers and Witch to get them skills, so giving 6 to the Runner means one less Blodger.

My favoured approach is to start with 2 rerolls, 3 Blitzers and 1 Witch. Give the ball to the Witch in the 1st game, with Dodge and MA7 she is the best ball carrier you have and if you manage to score twice, you can give her Block or Wrestle (I prefer Block at Rookie level because you will be blitzing many non-Block players with her). Once the Witch skills she becomes your main hitter, and you start giving the ball to the Blitzers. Next things to buy are an apoth, a 3rd reroll, and a 4th Blitzer, usually I would buy them in that order but it may depend on what winnings you make and what your opponents are. I wouldn't bother with a Runner or 2nd Witch but opinions differ on that.
zakatan

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 13:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Ignore the RR and get an assassin

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 13:41 Reply with quote Back to top

At 1k TV, generally, you pretty much decide on 4 blitzers, no witch or 3 blitzers, one witch for DE.

That average extra point of MA on woodies (as in seany's example) allows you to position more cleanly for less 2+ rolls and blocks each turn, which again, allows you to go 1 (or even 0) reroll as a feasible starting build. Speed really does make a lot of difference.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 13:49 Reply with quote Back to top

Not suicide, but I would always start with 2 rr.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 14:37 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
Not suicide, but I would always start with 2 rr.

+1.
As Jimmy said, I suggest to start your DE team with 2 rrs, it's very important.
tussock

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

I found a 1 RR start on Delves is best. Make all your blocks with the blitzers, don't dodge much because you can basically bash everything. See if you can run up some big scores and get a bit of dodge about the place so you can play a bit more elfy.

Personally I pass to the witch and run with her, MA 7 dodge you can 2-turn rookie teams so easy, and the odd dropped catch is usually recoverable without bothering with RRs, it's easy SPP. 13 games you should have a bunch of stars and as many RR from winnings as you want.

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 15:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the replies Smile

My dilemma is also that I can't just replace a Blitzer with a Lineman, because that leaves me 10K short for a second RR. So I will also have to let the Runner go, or else the Witch will have to wait.

I usually use a lot of RRs, so it will be quite at challenge to only have one (and its probably true that I won't get Leader until game 3).

The leagueformat means that the 8 best placed teams proceed to the playoffs (out of around 12-14 teams), and it will be (more or less) random who will meet who, so it's not that important to place highest. That also means that I can lose a couple of games in the beginning, and still make it through.

Hmm, I'll have to consider it some more.... Smile
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 15:44 Reply with quote Back to top

As someone pointed out earlier, if you get the Witch you have to skill the Witch, otherwise she is too unreliable with Frenzy. Accounting for losing some games is good and well, but few rerolls means turnovers, and turnovers can mean taking a beating because you end up in an unfavourable position, and taking a beating can mean permanent damage to your team. Also, don't underestimate the significance of being able to reroll winnings on victories. Especially for expensive teams, as Dark Elves are.

But by all means do try it out if you really want to. If you get lucky in the first few matches, you may be able to pull it off!
Gartch

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 16:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi,
as other said, it's not suicide, but you really need to adapt the way you play to the fact you only have one RR. But you said
Coach_Cool wrote:
I usually use a lot of RRs

So I think for you even 2 RR will be hard to manage, let alone only 1. I think for you it's more reasonable to play a team starting with 2 RR.

Last edited by Gartch on %b %07, %2016 - %16:%Jul; edited 1 time in total
xerode

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 16:32 Reply with quote Back to top

You really don't need a Runner. I'm sure licker will be in shortly to say why.

If you can drop that Runner for a Lino and a RR, that's a good trade.
Catalyst32

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 16:49 Reply with quote Back to top

suicide if you expect to be able to do anything like Block or Dodge or pick up the ball
Uedder

Post   Posted: Jul 07, 2016 - 16:58 Reply with quote Back to top

1 RR in a league doesn't make much sense to me. I'd go 2.
Coach_Cool

Post   Posted: Jul 08, 2016 - 12:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks again.

I see what you mean, and I *know* I will regret having only one RR in the beginning.

It's actually a TT league, and I really like my Runner model, so right now I'm leaning towards losing the Witch - and giving more focus to my Blitzers. Ideally it then means I will buy an Apo, and then the witch. I get my 3rd RR with Leader, so I "only" needs to make 160K gp to make that happen Smile

But I guess it then makes my team pretty much a standard DE starting team... (which isn't a problem as such).

Cheers,
Peter

My Runner (needs highlighting):

Last edited by Coach_Cool on %b %08, %2016 - %12:%Jul; edited 2 times in total
 Jump to: