16 coaches online • Server time: 06:01
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Borg Invasiongoto Post Finishing the 60 Gam...goto Post GIF Guide
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
MightyQuinn

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2006 - 07:54 Reply with quote Back to top

my last 3 games have been interupted, the site went down we both got disconnected, my opponent got disconnected in 2nd game and my 3rd he had to leave... But the main problem is that the games never load to the right point even though the chat says game saved...

Now when we reload are we suppose to use the inc file or the dat file ???

The client goes right to inc files when you hit browse... And when your opponent joins, is he suppose to sync ???

I cant seem to find procedures on exactly what is suppose to be done...

Thanks...
Sinner

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2006 - 07:59 Reply with quote Back to top

stop playing proxy mate... seriously, in proxy games the client takes some time to notice that the game has dropped thus the savegames between you and your opponent may be different. In direct play this will not be so likely as a disconnect will be noticed immediately.

Usually when I play proxy and have to reload I will use the .dat file, because that makes sure the game still works Wink

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2006 - 08:32 Reply with quote Back to top

in my experience....always use the dat file....

inc files are saved periodically through the turn, think it's after every action...
dat files are saved at the beginning of each turn...

inc files are notorious for being corrupted, while i've never had a problem loading up a dat file...just sucks if you kill off your opponent's star player, and have to reload it Wink

--j

ImageImage
Sinner

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2006 - 18:29 Reply with quote Back to top

True.

But I guess I remember something about replaying the game as it went till it disconnected. If you cannot kill the player an honest opponent would still retire the guy after the match.

Actually the .inc files are created after each roll!

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2006 - 23:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Quite actually if a player dies but a disconnection happens this means the player HAS to be retired. It isn't just a gentleman/woman thing, and not one about honesty.

This is quite confusing as the rules are a little all over the place. The specific one can be found here

Quote:
If the player was killed, he must be retired at the end of the game (not to an assistant coach). Any breaching of this procedure will lead to the whole team being retired, not just the player.

What is dead is dead. I remember enforcing that rule once in a while too, while I still was part of the Gorilla crew.

-Mnemon
Craftnburn

Post   Posted: Apr 21, 2006 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:
If the player was killed, he must be retired at the end of the game (not to an assistant coach). Any breaching of this procedure will lead to the whole team being retired, not just the player.

Ok, but what if your opponent denies the RIP happend? How can you prove that it did? I had this happen once, I killed an opponent's player but after reload he didn't die.. Both (apparently) my opponent and I were ignorant of this rule, though I don't know that I'd feel comfortable insisting on his retirement since I don't have any way to prove he died (if my opponent should choose to deny it).
HollowOne

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2006 - 00:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Take screenshots.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2006 - 01:05 Reply with quote Back to top

HollowOne wrote:
Take screenshots.

This makes me think though - how about sticky situations where due to a disconnect the opposing player truly did not see his player die? It is all too easy to keep on playing after an opponent disconnects without realizing they are gone. (For example, one player has a screen shot showing 'disconneting' with the "dead" player clearly still alive on the pitch, while the other coach has a screenie with the player dead several moves later.

In this case does the latter screenie hold sway, and the coach who (apparently) suffered the RIP has to retire their player anyway? I mean, I suppose given the nature of the RNG mechanics, the dice rolls still would have happened the same way no matter if both coaches are watching or not, but there is just something evil about the misfortune of a disconnect coupled with a favorite player dying while you were away...

Also - what if the coach who lost the player still had his apoth? Would he have to roll with the !d6 in chat to see if he lives or dies? While random, that would not be the same roll that the RNG would have given him (most likely). Though there would never I suppose be a way to prove this.

Of course, this situation is extremely specific - one player disconnecting and instantly grabbing a screen shot while the other plays on, causes a RIP, then realises he is disconnected from the other player and grabs a screenie...but I'm just wondering what the judgement might be in this case.

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2006 - 03:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Mnemon wrote:
Quite actually if a player dies but a disconnection happens this means the player HAS to be retired. It isn't just a gentleman/woman thing, and not one about honesty.

This is quite confusing as the rules are a little all over the place. The specific one can be found here

Quote:

What is dead is dead. I remember enforcing that rule once in a while too, while I still was part of the Gorilla crew.

-Mnemon

The only problem with that is when the game already is out of sync and on one screen he dies and on the other he is not even stunned hehe) - but yes otherwise.

At least the coach should be so fair to keep that player out of the game (aka putting him in the corner not to be move nor blitzed)
Nighteye

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2006 - 03:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If someone is carying the ball at disconnect, u might go ahead and load the dat no matter what, as a sync will screw up the game. If no one i carrying the ball, u can just sync the games, and u hsuld be able to continue (u might have to sync a few times, to get all the players in sync)
Wizard

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2006 - 03:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Reminds me of when emphasy's human ledgend died, then a disco happened and he still refused to retire the player

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2006 - 10:56 Reply with quote Back to top

Top save technique:
-play direct proxy so that the game freezes when someone drops out
-load the .inc
-non turn playing coach sync on opponent.
=>the ball bug happens (you can't move the ball carrierer and he isn't anymore on the ball).
-wait until the end of turn. when the game saves, load .dat Perfect game status, ball bug solved

you probably can exchange the last point with a load on .inc on the next [game save] status

Basically:
.dat = end of turn save
.inc = during the game save

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2006 - 11:01 Reply with quote Back to top

as far as i know, if your playing pbem and it crashes without saving, when you reload the sequence of dice is the same, so you attempt to do the same action and exactly the same thing happens
Flynn

Post   Posted: Apr 22, 2006 - 11:32 Reply with quote Back to top

as ive been told by christer, dat for proxy because the inc doesnt like proxies for the aformentioned reasons, inc for direct because you cant have the problems with direct that screw up the inc file
strait from the horses mouth

Goodbye Cusi
Laviak

Post   Posted: May 04, 2006 - 17:17 Reply with quote Back to top

sk8bcn wrote:
Top save technique:
-play direct proxy so that the game freezes when someone drops out
-load the .inc
-non turn playing coach sync on opponent.
=>the ball bug happens (you can't move the ball carrierer and he isn't anymore on the ball).
-wait until the end of turn. when the game saves, load .dat Perfect game status, ball bug solved

you probably can exchange the last point with a load on .inc on the next [game save] status

Basically:
.dat = end of turn save
.inc = during the game save

Yes, yes and yes Very Happy

This should be added to the wiki I reckon (maybe I'll even add it myself Smile

Jump to: