48 coaches online • Server time: 12:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Speccing and Playing...goto Post Southern Wastes Leag...goto Post Theory-craft League
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Ihsan997

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2021 - 06:33 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello! I’m a long time lurker, and a longer time BB fanatic, but work and family took precedence for quite a bit of time; I haven’t played since the 90s. I’m also going back to school at night, so realistically speaking, I may not play active matches until early 2022. That being said, I’m looking forward to observing matches during my free time and seeing what I can pick up from other members here.
koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 12, 2021 - 09:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome!

If any free time does turn up, jump right in!

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2021 - 10:39 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone! very excited to be a member of the FUMBBL community
BeanBelly

Post   Posted: Sep 21, 2021 - 10:50 Reply with quote Back to top

You are very welcome KevinDurant - check out the help page from the top menu - loads of useful info

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2021 - 05:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everyone, I'm Parn_Star. Normally I keep to myself, and stay quiet just getting the feel of things, but something happened on here today, and it has been bothering me for awhile, and I'm unable to shake it off. Normally when I speak about it, and get it off my chest, I feel a bit better.

In the beginning of October, I was checking out the Daemons of Malal Team, and started to get more interested in Malal, and started to see if there was a Malal Team on the FUMBBL Secret Team. Sure enough there was, but unable to play because of Special Rules. Hell, I was unable to even look at the team roster. When I looked at the Team for the 2016 rules, I was able to see the roster and the special rule, and saw that the special rule was extremely broken, and the roster needed to be changed up a bit.

So after a few days of thinking and making a updated and revamp roster for Malal, I noticed by the team that there was a question mark on it, so I clicked it, and it gave me a blank section to describe 2020 Malal Team. When I saw this, I just took the ball and ran with it. I gave my reasoning of why I updated the roster this way, the two new positionals that I added, the reason why I think the special rule should be drop, and so on. I made sure that I credited the original people that created the team, that this is not my idea, but improving someone else's idea, and trying to make it as a playable team. After all of that, I noticed that I was able to edit the page, so I went back to the 2016 Malal Team, and sure enough I could change their page as well. So I took notes on what to do to make a proper roster list, grabbed the Players Pics and Icons that was originally there, giving updated of what I have changed and what not. Like the Team was mostly a Work in Progress, and I was unable to find out how I could get this Team out of the NOT POSSIBLE BECAUSE OF SPECIAL RULES section, to the READY TO GO LIVE or WORK IN PROGRESS section.

Now, today, after having the weekend to think about upping the price on one of the positionals, I noticed that all the work that I did on the 2020 Malal Team was resetted, and when I looked at the recent changes that was made on October 18, someone made a change to the 2020 FUMBBL Secret team with the summary of Orphaning unauthorized roster. Honestly, my heart sank, as the work that I put into trying to make this team as a playable team, was just erased. Like I can understand if it something that I wasn't suppose to have access to, but wouldn't an admin staff contact me, informing that I over step my bounds, or someone thinking that I'm a bot because I have no info on my profile on here or some thing.

I was able to save a pdf of the roster of the last update that I did, but still it sucks, as now I feel like that my small contribution on here, no body wanted, or contacting me saying saying what I did is not the correct way of doing it, and I should contact these people going forward kind of thing, because honestly, sometimes I don't know what I'm doing, or where I should go. If I see an opening and a chance to do something, I'll take it, even if it might not be the right order of doing stuff.

Anyways, sorry for the long winded post, like I said, I just needed to get this off my chest as it was bothering me for pretty much all day. Hopefully one day, I make the dive of doing some online games on here.

Thanks.
koadah

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2021 - 07:58 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, welcome.

Secret League rosters are (mostly) created and maintained by the coach Garion. They are considered to be his.

Changes to those rosters are not considered "official" unless he makes them.
As Garion has not been on the site much recently, Razmus and I have set up [SL]2020. As we do not know Garion's intent we have made minimal changes, only changing what appeared to be clear errors. Some "clear errors" remain but have been left as there are signs that Garion could be back in business before too long.

The help pages are built on a wiki. Anyone can edit them. But, it is expected that coaches use their judgement when deciding what to edit. Generally, be very wary of updating other people's pages.

If you want to work on someone else's rosters, please create your own page and copy the original text into your new page. You can then work on your own version as you wish. You could then put a small note on the original page linking to your page.

You should back up anything important that you do on a wiki. Anyone could edit it and replace it with a load of Britney Spears songs.

I don't know who reverted your pages but I thank them.

If you have a version of the roster than can work in the current version of the client, I'd like to see it.

Good luck.

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2021 - 08:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi Parn Star, I saw all the stuff you wrote for the Malal team and it was great to see someone put some real thought into what that Roster could be.

Probably what isn't entirely clear for those new to he site is it's largely wiki based. So if I wanted to I could right now edit the official Roster for Snotlings to given to them all Strength 7. Eventually someone would find that and wind it back.

With Secret League teams, I understand there is still a process for how they get built up. Garion, Razmus and Koadah would be the 3 names that spring to mind that have a bit of oversight to the rosters. Fundamentally all the rosters on that wiki will likely have been though a significant degree of playtesting before being documented.....even those in development or with special rules.

So don't take the fact your roster was wound back as a critique of its quality or logic, simply that a number of private leagues are using, or have used, that Roster as defined in 2016 (https://fumbbl.com/p/team?id=8717)
it would be very confusing to have a new 'uncontrolled' version pop up without warning.

So don't be disheartened, it not clearly signposted how all this works. Honestly the best thing to do would be join the Fummbl Discord which is much more active for BB/Fummbl chat than these forums, and if you want to actually try out your proposed Roster there are placed where you might be able to do that. For example https://fumbbl.com/p/group&group=12551&op=view

Hope that helps
Parn_Star

Post   Posted: Oct 19, 2021 - 19:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Thank you Koadah and C0ddlefish, for your responses. Both of you have cleared things up for me, how things work on here, and the reasoning of why things are done is a certain way. Sometimes my own worse enemy and hardest critic is myself, when I can't understand why, and no one is willing to give me an explanation, and think that it's common knowledge. It might be common knowledge for them, by my mind is wired differently that it could be complex science to me at times. I've only been on here for over a month, and I'm still learning of what to do and where to go, but thank you both for guiding me in the right directions.

Koadah, I appreciate the stuff that you wrote, and making it clear of who is in charge. I might not start anything new at this moment, as the FUMBBL site, does take a little bit of time to get use to. Also, I still have the hard copy of the stuff and edits that I did for the Malal Team, and happy to send them your way, or even take C0ddlefish's advice and place them inside of an Experimental Team Group.

Also, C0ddlefish, thank you for your kind words, and I'm glad to hear that someone was able to take a look at the stuff that I did to the Malal Team, and having positive feed back. I will be honest here, as there was a few times where I woke up from a dead sleep, thinking that I need to add this in, or I forgot to give credit to someone. Like I made a comment above to Koadah, I might not do anything soon, but when I feel ready, I might go with your advice.

Again, thank you both, for taking your time to clear the air for me on here.
MrPotMask

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2021 - 04:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, Im MrPotMask, new coach. I was always curious about playing this due to its over the top humor and violence and started to try with BB2 but never went into multiplayer out of fear.

I often found myself kicked in the ass too much by the AI even on easy mode and got a bit of practice with the rules and how to play along with the tips and metarules in this site (especially the metarule zero). Always wanted to find a site where I could at least play in a more casual way and I found this site thanks to r/bloodbowl.

I did an attempt about a year ago and joined the 145 group but I ended up getting a bad experience with players who kept PM in discord with with "Why you do that?" "Don't you know the rules Lol", "You're supposed to do that dumbass leave lmao" despite the fact that I said I was a complete novice beforehand so I ended up leaving till now.

I personally don't mind loosing, still struggle a bit to get used to playing and making teams but I wanted to try playing this game and enjoy the show of random madness.

PS. Sorry for any typos, english isn't my first language (spanish is my first)
C0ddlefish

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2021 - 07:30 Reply with quote Back to top

Hi PotMask, sounds like you had a bit of a bad experience last time round. That honestly sounds unusual though as the vast majority of coaches on here are very helpful and supportive of those that want to learn. I'd really recommend trying the 145 again (and if you are unlucky enough to find a rare abusive coach then report them to the team here)
PaddyMick

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2021 - 11:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome back to FUMBBL MrPot, hope you have a better experience this time around. I've added you to my Friends list, so if I see you playing, i'll come and spectate and cheer you on! Or feel free to look me up if you want a friendly game. Donde esta la ultra voilente? Fumbbl!
npe

Post   Posted: Oct 22, 2021 - 23:40 Reply with quote Back to top

C0ddlefish wrote:
Hi PotMask, sounds like you had a bit of a bad experience last time round. That honestly sounds unusual though as the vast majority of coaches on here are very helpful and supportive of those that want to learn. I'd really recommend trying the 145 again (and if you are unlucky enough to find a rare abusive coach then report them to the team here)

FWIW I had a very similar experience to MrPotMask my first go round in 145. I'd argue the problem is that even a "bad" fumbbl player is far more advanced than a novice anywhere else.

This means that when someone who's actually new to blood bowl shows up it can be a very discouraging experience.

My proposal (already proposed to PC) is that 145 needs a two tier system. The first tier for genuinely new players (maybe exclusively teaching games w/experienced coaches and other coaches with less than some arbitrary number of games/experience) and the second tier for coaches that already know the basics and are trying to hone their game.
Parn_Star

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 02:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, there is nothing worse of having a bad gaming experience on here or anywhere else in that matter. That's one of the reasons why I'm very hesitant of joining a League. Well that, and my verbal diarrhea at times, as I know that I need to watch what I say at times, not to upset or hurt someone else's feeling.

I hope that you find a good and understanding group real soon MrPotMask. Also little advice, not only to you, but any Coaches out there, if you join another group like that, just leave that group, and report that Coach. There are Coaches out there that have other reasons of why they playing, either to have a power trip, or be an online bully because their real life might not be great at that time and there is no point playing with those toxic people. They will just bring you down to their level, just for them to feel better about their current situation.
npe

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 03:37 Reply with quote Back to top

Parn_Star wrote:
if you join another group like that, just leave that group, and report that Coach.

That doesn't necessarily work for 145 which is the primary gateway for new coaches into FUMBBL.
In general FUMBBL is the "adult" way to play bb and there's an expectation that everyone acts in a mature way.

When a new player comes in they don't really know what's normal and what isn't. So when their first experience is with a toxic coach, they don't now what's normal or not, so they just leave.
Parn_Star

Post   Posted: Oct 23, 2021 - 06:30 Reply with quote Back to top

I was talking in any group in general, not just the 145.

As for new players, I do agree it's hard to know what's normal, and what isn't, and I might of worded myself as after one game and if the group toxic, just to drop it. That's not what I meant by that comment. It's usually after a few games you get to know who those Coaches are and everyone knows when they start getting that toxic vibe from someone.

It's almost like going out for a coffee date, it takes a few dates before before it get a feel if they are the right one or not. If you just give them one date, and judging them after that, then your not giving that other person a chance.
 Jump to: