38 coaches online • Server time: 15:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Do you have interest in a parents / kids league?
Yes
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
No
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Kids should learn to foul on turn 16 the normal way like the rest of us
53%
 53%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 13

Igvy

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2023 - 12:42 Reply with quote Back to top

If there is a setting or way to hide all chat from the client? So a younger player can't be influenced/communicate at all? Is this a possible feature that could be toggled at an account level?
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2023 - 13:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Foad wrote:
PurpleChest wrote:
Certainly neither coach has teams that have been in the 145 during the 2020 ruleset, nor to my recollection during my time running it. I hope the concerns raised are historic.

I've been on the site for 15 years. My time in the 145, was with coaches like uberskiller and StrawberryKiss. @PC feel free to edit if this is considered naming and shaming.

But as a league player that has brought many TT players onto the site, many have dabbled in 145 and the feedback is all the same. Many people are fine, but knine is right when he hints that there is an undeniable level of toxicity there. Moving forward I will alert you if anything I hear in 145, but if people ask - my advice will still be to steer clear.

KNine should not have been in 145 Club using a team that is explicitly against the rules.

Admins should have blocked him from joining with that team and the rules could have been clearer.

145 is by nature very transient. Coaches join, find their feet and move on. There is a turnover of admins too.

Lessons have been learned.

But like any group, if people come in with the wrong spirit/attitude and/or break the rules, things won't go well.

Post   Posted: Jun 15, 2023 - 17:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Okay, I do have a 145 team. It's all linemen, they only take random skills, and I tell new coaches straight up, "I'm going to destroy you, and then I'm going to tell you how I did it so you can do it to others." Thus far, no complaints and only a minimal level of salt.

If you're an experienced coach in 145 and people are raging on you, you're doing it wrong. Nuke 'em 'til they glow, sure, but if they think that's why you're there, you're either in the wrong place or doing a bad job communicating.

As a new coach, yes, the 145 is a public place, so you run into kind of an uncontrolled environment, but there are people there whose primary objective is to see you improve. I'd think a 13-year-old should be ready to handle the "public place" part, given that this site has rules about profanity, but I could be wrong. If I am, then maybe regional open leagues are a better choice, as people have an incentive to play nice in those environments. Certainly, the Americas-time NCBB would be a good place to go.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2023 - 00:17 Reply with quote Back to top

"I'm going to destroy you, and then I'm going to tell you how I did it so you can do it to others."

I guess if I were running the 145 club I'd have a problem with the "destroy you" part, and the "then tell you" part, and I guess you using something other then a stunty team part.

Play a crap team.. coach the opponent while you play, lose as many as you win.. as opposed to racking up wins and calling it a good thing, because of a little post-game de-brief. My humble opinion. The virtuous 'destroy' just seems wrong in that environment.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2023 - 00:52 Reply with quote Back to top

It's tricky because all 145 coaches are at different levels, and also because real-time coach-coaching is much harder here than on tabletop. I see an initial 145 match as a skills assessment as much as anything, and though I make a point of offering concrete advice in-game as well as after, there's really no point in making it a competitive venture one way or the other. Who cares who wins?

As far as Stunty teams go, the current thinking is that they don't really teach proper technique, and all-lineman squads (not Amazons, Norse, etc.) are the best way forward. Not everyone agrees, sure.

Last edited by JackassRampant on %b %16, %2023 - %00:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
koadah

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2023 - 00:55 Reply with quote Back to top

My style is closer to The_Murker's than JR's.

Even with all linos and usually just one or two skills on the whole team, wins still rack up. Many people really are that new. Though games are usually tight.

Talking to people right from the beginning works best for me. The one time I didn't, the guy conceded.
I overestimated him as he was top of the table.
Lesson learned.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2023 - 00:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, I preface those games with, "I have 500 games with all-lineman Humans, don't evaluate yourself by the outcome," and thus far that's worked for me. After all, much of the appeal of this game is just how long and winding a journey it is, and seeing the fruits of experience can be encouraging if viewed in the right light. But the great thing about this game is that there are as many ways to work it as there are successful coaches, and that goes for helping novices as well as outwitting each other.

But yeah, you gotta do some pre-game assessment. People come here with 0 games, or with scores, or even hundreds, and as far as we're concerned, those are all noobs of one stripe or another. I was solid by TT standards when I showed up here, but me now would turn me then around six ways from Sigmarsday, and something of the sort is true for most of the people reading this. If I don't think you're ready for a skills-assessment match, I'd rather watch your games and talk over what I saw before the game. That's important: the kinds of matches I'm talking about are only appropriate for people with an intellectual understanding of how to play BB, even if they're relative beginners. Total noobs should get a leg up first by playing each other, reading/watching strategy, speccing games, etc.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2023 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
Total noobs should get a leg up first by playing each other, reading/watching strategy, speccing games, etc.

I don't think that is necessarily true. Especially if you use voice chat.

One good training match early on can save weeks of bumbling around in the dark.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2023 - 01:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, yeah, voice chat. Didn't occur to me because it's not an option to me as I usually game around others, with the TV going. That would make it a little easier. Again, so many different experiences to offer, the key is making sure everybody gets the right intro, or at least one that works for them.