56 coaches online • Server time: 22:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 18:26
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

That was what I thought originally, and it'd be cool, but that could lead to HAVING to field more than 4 if all your linemen got injured
noobie2k7

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

well, you'd get JM Linesmen due to having under 11 players. But for that game then yeah i suppose but not if you changed it so there was no minimum players you had to field.

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 18:53 Reply with quote Back to top

noobie2k7 wrote:
what about 11 man teams. Allowing to hire as many positionals as you want but you can only field 4 at a time. So it leads to more tactical play and putting out the right positionals for the right situations.

The client can support 7 players on the pitch, but I've not read anything about it supporting only 4 positionals. This means that if you have more than 4 positionals on your roster, the client could force you to deploy more than 4 for a drive (after all your fodder is dead). That would put us back to tucking players into the corners of the end zones, which would be bad, and the fact that some of those players would have skills could cause additional problems.

Also, it wouldn't fit the "semi-pro" fluff to have more positional players in the first place.

Edit: uh, yeah, what mister_joshua said up above.
mister__joshua

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 19:13
FUMBBL Staff

Yours was worded better though Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
Rabe

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 20:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey joshua, I'm glad you are interested in BB7s and I appreciate your considerations! Smile
I really have to think about that (4 subs) idea first. So now quick answer on that matter.
mister__joshua wrote:
The new rules look great and I look forward to playing. I did like the old draft system but the new one sounds good too. Maybe a combo?

The problem with the old system (I guess you're referring to the 4 MVP criteria) was, that id strongly discouraged open play. Once your team looked solid and one or even two player got close to drafting, you'd redraw from open play and shelf them for some tournament. Plus, if you had a really bad dicing with your team achieving nothing, the MVP award often felt more like a punishment than the little something you at least get out of every game.

BB7s lives from the quick matches that you can find almost instantly, so a draft system that punishes playing a lot of games is really bad for the very core of the league.

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 20:53
FUMBBL Staff

Thanks Smile

I get your point about the open play thing. I think I just liked the idea for the realism factor. Does a player have to have been on the field to get an mvp? If so then maybe a few subs would allow squad rotation? Or balance it by offering a reward for racking up a large number of open games. Of course, like I said, these are just ideas and I haven't tested any of them Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 21:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I really love the 11 man roster idea... less hassle for new teams. (I'm sure alot would be J-men anyway on some teams) I'm actually not starting yet as I don't want to conceded a match, or give up a TV difference.

I'm also curious what people think of this idea..

In ice hockey, every once in a while, a wild play develops when a player comes out of the penalty box, far from the rest of the players, and takes a pass when he's well in the clear, etc.

What do you think about the players in the endzone instantly being allowed into the game to replace a KO or injury? It would sure be 7 on 7 more of the game. Some one even might elect to bash less, for fear of a KO''ing someone out of position in the back-field and having him replaced by someone in a position to better defend.

"Lester is down! Hickman.. you're IN!!"

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 22:50
FUMBBL Staff

That sounds fun, but with the new client there won't be any extra players on the field so that's more a rule for right now, pre upgrade Smile

Here's a couple of other things I thought up when trying (and failing) to start up tabletop 7s.

He's not worth the risk: Injured players never get drafted. With this rule niggled and stat - players would never be drafted. This has 2 benefits. 1) People will hold onto injured players instead of retiring them. Injured players are cool and add character. It also balances their effect on TV. 2) It nicely represents the amateur nature of 7s. Real amateur leagues are full of players who could have gone pro if it weren't for their exploding knees etc.
This would probably only work if the MVP draft was still in place. It's emphasising the perpetual nature of 7s

It's only a sponge: Apothecaries can only be used on KO'd players, or KO and BH if you prefer. Not fully sure of the implications of this one, just thought it was fun.

Gonna try and get on the BB7 irc soon though not got a client installed at the mo

Last edited by mister__joshua on %b %10, %2012 - %09:%Oct; edited 3 times in total
moonray

Post   Posted: Oct 09, 2012 - 23:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Long story short: awesome news and ideas in this thread, I'll dig out some of my 7s Teams and meet you on the pitch soon Smile

And the fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun and I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written down the side of mine should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence.

Bullet Tooth Tony
The_Murker

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 06:29 Reply with quote Back to top

I love that idea... injuries are never drafted. It makes so much sense.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 09:40 Reply with quote Back to top

It really does! Gonna take it into consideration. Thanks for the idea! Smile

Edit:
Though there are some injuries that don't hurt a player's capabilities much. Like -AG on a (chaos) dwarf blocker or a nurgle warrior. Or -MA on any lino with another exceptional skill like Guard (taken on double) or +ST...

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 10:09 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah i think any + stat would cancel out any + stat when it comes to drafting. Like i mean -Av but it's got +St/Ag, i think pro teams would still draft him. I think St/Ag penalties would take priority over -Mv/Av but as you said it depends on each player.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 10:20
FUMBBL Staff

My thoughts were that all injuries = no draft. Players that do have injuries unrelated to their playstyle (like -AG on a blocker) actually become MORE valuable to a 7s team than a regular player and that makes them fun and awesome and somewhat like gold-dust. How often are injuries good?

The - and + stats thing balancing doesn't really work for me cos its still dead TV and a waste of an increase/skill. Also it'd require more management and with any suggestions I've tried to keep everything as simple as possible to support the size of a hopefully growing 7s league Smile

Mr. J's LRB7 / Forum
zakatan

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

i'm not sure i like the injury idea. Although it makes sense fluff-wise, it opens gates to some sort of metagaming like using apo to cause injuries to your best player and creat unstoppable aberrations such as +st+st -ag cw that will live forever.

Post   Posted: Oct 11, 2012 - 11:14 Reply with quote Back to top

Well what i was saying is those +St on the CW would still mean he's get drafted due to +St being more important than the +Ag on that player.