46 coaches online • Server time: 20:02
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Americ...goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiers
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
JackassRampant

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 01:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I can explain. At middling TV you'll lose a rookie linefodder every other game or so. If you run Journeymen, you save 20-35k per match, at least in theory. It's really quite significant. There is "cheese" to be had… if mo' money is mo' betta. But it's almost not.

Frankly, if you can make cash-hoarding work for you, you're doing something really great. I could see managing a Dorf team to a huge purse, and then just playing with Boomer from Petty Cash in all major tournament rounds… but that doesn't involve Journeymen except incidentally.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Frankenstein wrote:
blah blah blah blah

stop being intentionally obtuse...

--j

ImageImage
Bobs

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:22 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
But if everybody's playing on an honor system,

This made me laugh

PurpleChest

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:37
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

This is why the very lowest level of hell is full of rules lawyers, with incomplete versions of 12 different games rules.

Look, it isn't about impact, it's about principle.

At what point can you draw a line that makes some sense to try to defend.

No ruleset should ever try to be watertight and utterly complete, because people are arseholes and will always, always, bloody always argue about every damn thing.

The admin team defend the spirit of the game/site rules combined. The line is already drawn.

When something is unclear, and then is explained, why not join the reasonable humans and go 'oh, Ok. Cool. that's that then.' and get back to having fun with this game we play sometimes.

Why go 'Ah, but the way you emphasised the third syllable of word three of your answer means i could, if I were translating from armenian, do THIS, hahhahhaaa, Mwuhaahahaa, then i could gain a 0.01% in game advantage'? I mean really. Why? We play with orcs and wood elves in the future. And we do it with bad graphics. Online. With names like KillyMcFoul. In what strange world is it in any way sane or appropriate to push so hard for these miniscule changes and advantages?

Really. Considering being a rules lawyer makes you unarguably scum of the very worst kind. Where's the upside?

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:40 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
This is why the very lowest level of hell is full of rules lawyers

This is probably one of the greatest quotes I have ever seen.

__Synn
Azure

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:42 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
Really. Considering being a rules lawyer makes you unarguably scum of the very worst kind. Where's the upside?

This thread made me laugh! Laughing
Mr_Foulscumm

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, so we have a winner Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:54 Reply with quote Back to top

+ 0.01% point advantage to PC

Macavity

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 02:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The Hammer of Discipline
In order to maintain philosophical purity and to ensure a fun game for all Bloodbowl players, you may choose to do as we do and make a Hammer of Discipline for yourself and your group. Head on down to your local hardware store and pick up a two- to five-pound rubber mallet, at least one foot in length but no longer than one and a half feet. Make sure it has a wooden handle so you can carve it with a dremel tool. Engrave the word 'DISCIPLINE' along the handle, and fill in each letter with a permanent ink stain. Now you're ready to go. The mere presence of this tool at the Bloodbowl table is usually enough to prevent Rules Lawyer thought-crimes - however, do not hesitate to use it on any player who refuses to respect its authority.

P.S. totally not my original thought. Adapted from Brikwars.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 05:11 Reply with quote Back to top

PurpleChest wrote:
{fun rant snipped}

In what strange world is it in any way sane or appropriate to push so hard for these miniscule changes and advantages?

Eh, you take it far too seriously on the other side. Some of us don't care so much about the actual rule as we care about understanding why such a rule is necessary in the first place when it doesn't seem to accomplish anything meaningful.

That's not being a rules lawyer, that's not trying to glean any miniscule advantage (as indeed I don't believe there is any advantage to be had either way). It's just having a discussion about a rule which doesn't appear to address any particular problem.

I can honestly understand the reason for having the concessions house rule much much better than I can the JM house rule.

That said, since neither of those really matter to me one way or the other, I'm fine with both rules as they are. Still, my curiosity over what seems to be an appendix on FUMBBL needs be sated.
Beerox

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 07:04 Reply with quote Back to top

cthol wrote:
I really don't get all the people saying (and I'm paraphrasing here): "why bother asking these dumb questions, just push the limit til the admins do something, then you'll have your answer."

Yeah, I would, but what the hell is wrong with asking other people's opinions anyway? It's interesting, it's sometimes a laugh, sure it can get repetitive, but if you think these forum topics are a waste of time, don't read them and don't contribute.

The rest of us are quite happy having a discussion of the ins and outs of the topic regardless of whether it will lead to site changes.

Nothing wrong with your thoughts here, but I stick to my suggestion! I will also add that it'd be much more fun on the forums if someone got punished and made a thread complaining about it.

Talk is fine... there are many issues worth discussing, but J-men abuse? This probably bothers about 7 people on the entire site.
Arktoris

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 07:38 Reply with quote Back to top

After ten pages on this subject, I still don't understand what is "journeymen abuse".

Is that where you force them to wash year worn jerseys?

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 07:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Arktoris wrote:
After ten pages on this subject, I still don't understand what is "journeymen abuse".

Is that where you force them to wash year worn jerseys?

I thought it was when you force them to cook dinner while you watch the game.

Also I still don't get it either. Very Happy

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 08:59 Reply with quote Back to top

JackassRampant wrote:
I'd like to propose to the staff one of two rules of thumb.

1) No coach may knowingly ready a [B] or [R] team for two consecutive matches with more than 300k Treasury and fewer than 11 rostered players, including MNGs. (Do it once, it's a neat trick or a silly mistake; do it twice, you're hoarding.)

2) If a team has more than 300k Treasury and fewer than 11 permanent players, its coach must be able to describe (or the team composition must suggest) a clear recovery plan that requires holding onto so much cash, and a trigger event for expenditures that indicates a good-faith effort to rebuild to 11+ players.

You say this as if we have no guidelines already and just make it up as we go along.

Oh wait. Christer gave us guidelines on how to deal with this.

He also gave every single member of the community guidelines as well and I'll try to spell it out as simple as possible.

If you have under 11 permenant players on your team and lots of cash in the treasury then you better have a damn good reason. ALL teams MUST srtive for 11 permenant players.

It really is that simple. Christer's site. Christer's rules.

Post   Posted: Jan 22, 2014 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

The line for journeymen is the one in the middle called the Line of Scrimmage (LOS for short).

Duh.

The rulebook, for all it's slightly vague oddities, directly tells you this!
 Jump to: