36 coaches online • Server time: 10:23
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret League Old Wo...goto Post Creating a custom to...goto Post ramchop takes on the...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What am I to do with it?
Implement all CRP rules and integrate with Fumbbl
46%
 46%  [ 53 ]
Use it as a test bed for new LRB
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Make variants like Rat Ogre Bowl & Deathroller racing
8%
 8%  [ 10 ]
Add Secret League rosters
15%
 15%  [ 18 ]
Eat a tasty pie
14%
 14%  [ 16 ]
Total Votes : 113

Grod

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 01:19 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome work btw!

Some comments. Not sure how easy it is to change this in Javascript but

The dialogue at the top is awkward to use (the buttons are small and far away from the players etc). The Java based ones with boxes popping up in the middle are more natural to use.

It would be nice if right clicking was able to select player actions (just like FFB) rather than browser options. That way you have less things to click at the top of the screen. Is it possible to override this?

As it currently is, to play I am constantly moving the mouse cursor between players on the field and the dialogue at the top, backwards and forwards.

Anyway its awesome work, and what I am asking may just be limitations of the platform itself.

Have fun with the project, I look forward to see how it develops.

Oscar Wilde
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 01:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for your awesome work, very appreciated!
A simple request for the future: please, if possible, use player icons like this:
for your web client.
They would be nicer to see and more detailed!
The current client's icons are too small.
Tantibus

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 01:51 Reply with quote Back to top

Nice work, well beyond me!

Last edited by Tantibus on Jul 05, 2015 - 01:52; edited 1 time in total
BobBifford

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

For heaven sake please join with Christer here and bring us the secret league teams! You will be so many people's hero!!!
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 02:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Quite important. GW do not like links to java bowl. I'm not sure what your stance on that is, but my suggestion is to change it asap.

Instead of linking java bowl, you can thank the artist directly. Nick Kelsch http://nkelsch.deviantart.com/art/BloodBowl-Icons-31390069
Jeguan

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 06:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Awesome
C3I2

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 10:07 Reply with quote Back to top

If we're talking immaterial rights, think graphics and text, Mouse. You cant get copyright on game mechanics; also football fields and "bowl" is to generic for any legal protection.

Of course that bears really low correlation with what companies send cease and desist letters for (since that is essentially costless) - even when it is the wrong jurisdiction for example. Actually bothering to do this right, will cost to much money however; say contacting a Swedish law firm, then the case would be bounced down trough the hierarchy to somebody like me. I then would have to state that they cant win but I can do something anyway; and then GW would be billed heavily on that alone.
---
Anybody, who likes to design a game. If you're like me you do the mechanics first, then fit it to a theme. Then comes the boring stuff, making maps and graphics etc. Here is where my legal advice comes in:

1) Do it yourself, downloading any graphic leaves you open for copyright claims
2) If you plan to sell the game, evaluate the NAME both from a legal and from a marketing perspective. If you you later go big, this can bite back quite hard (think Apple - Beatles music company vs. Apple (IT gigant); and Cid Meyers Civilization vs. the Civilization board game (computer version of), the later case was won by the company that made a COMPUTER version first, not the company that had a Civilization game first, on mental association alone).
AdyBrooke

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 10:10 Reply with quote Back to top

That's great....
Obviously early days, 5 defense and chevron set up could do with being a base set-up you can amend.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 12:47 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm not even going to argue with the Swedish guy, I just cannot relate to him on any level.

The bottom line is this:

1. He maybe right about the law, but for a simple change is it worth the potential hassle?
2. Is our Swedish law friend going to help you out if GW come knocking? He's never done anything to help out the site, or donated a penny from his purse or his time.
3. Is it worth causing trouble for BBO, which as far as I know is the only site that has the client, and that's no longer publicized.
4. Christer has stated due to GWs wishes that there are to be no links to the client on BBO. So if you were to get Christer's approval, that link would have to go anyway.
5. It really isn't necessary to have it, and thanking NK directly is more accurate anyway.

Your choice of course, but I know which action I'd take.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 13:24 Reply with quote Back to top

Great promising stuff. Have you considered designing for touch interface from the start? That seems a lot easier to do than to tack on touch support afterwards.

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 14:46 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
Hi Arry,

I have an additional option for you:

Implement Server side AI so anyone can log on and play against robots. If you think it would be tough to make an AI ... I just happen to have written one! Actually what I have is an interface so that anyone can write their own, plus a single implementation. What you would need to provide then is just a API for which anyone could plug in a bot, then I would rewrite mine to use your API.

Take a look at my project and see if you find it interesting.
https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=Grod

Basically I really wanted to implement this somewhere server based so that statistics etc could be collected and people could spectate. If it becomes centralised and public, other people might be motivated to create their competing AIs.

The dream? BotWars!

Yes,please Alex,listen to Peter(Grod)! That would be AMAZING! I like that idea.
I don't know if it's possible to make AI play with one of your created teams in that case. Even a AI vs AI for league simulations.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 16:48 Reply with quote Back to top

The AI for a clawpomb team would be the easiest to code, something like:
1) select a player, blitz with him, reroll if no knockdown is rolled;
2) always pile on;
3) select a player, block with him, reroll if no knockdown is rolled (or you already used the rr);
4) always pile on;
5) select another player and repeat until no player is available to perform an action.
bmceldowney

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 18:15 Reply with quote Back to top

Great work! I'd love to see the code on GitHub if you're amenable to that. I've been doing a few experiments with touch interfaces and I would really like to hack around with what you've got so far!
koadah

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I was unable to set up when I had fewer than eleven players available.

No joy at all on android default browser. It just sits with two empty white panels and says "loading". Maybe using some kind of framework would get around a lot of these browser issues. Also, I expect that it will need a framework for touch.

Grod wrote:

Take a look at my project and see if you find it interesting.
https://fumbbl.com/p/blog?c=Grod

Have you thought of porting it to javascript?

Post   Posted: Jul 05, 2015 - 18:45 Reply with quote Back to top

This looks amazing so far.

You sir, rock.

Keep it coming!

I'm excited to see this when it is finished.

Let me know when you get to the AI coding. I can come up with some "if then, else" kind of logic functions for different teams. I don't think it's possible to make an AI worse than Cyanide's.
 Jump to: