19 coaches online • Server time: 07:06
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
ThierryM

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 15:00 Reply with quote Back to top

Did I miss something or is the Legend status of a player now a cheap knock off of it's former predecessor ?

46 SPP "Legends" incoming....
What a fluffy change (/sarcasm...)
Almost 4 Legends for the price of 1 before. Better than any Sales !

Some may already know me as a monomaniac Skeletons' team coach.
Am I supposed to switch to full random mode as I can only get General skills anyway as I don't want to multiply by X/Y times the cost of my player in his path to glory.
Don't get me started on the random hypthetical stat increase quest (good luck to those who target a player's profile they'd like to get, naïve fools)...

What's the point to wait to "choose" a skill when I can make several rolls on a limited number of said skills in a pool than will get smaller and smaller as I gain them.
Added bonus, the players will cost me less at the end (random 10k / choosen 20k).

TV Cost of my BB2020 Legends : 40k + (6x10k) = 100k.
Perfect for redrafting them )

Can this can also work (even better ? No Regen won't help) with teams like Amazons (16 linewomen allowed) and Norse (only 12 linemen though) as their starting skills are quite usefull at low TV. Teams that will foul your team to dust with their cheap bench (we experienced this meta in France with them and Pro elves too).

Disclaimer : this post is also a farewell to all the teams that will go poof during the R & B merge... Bye bye Teams of Legend, you'll be missed.

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 17:16 Reply with quote Back to top

the main problem is.. you have a very good chance of not getting block or wrestle early on, and a decent chance of not getting them at all. and without either of those skills, and with random mvps, it will be very hard to reach legend for any player - even if that's 'only' 46 spp.
Lyracian

Post   Posted: Dec 02, 2020 - 18:06 Reply with quote Back to top

If you are playing a team of Linemen that Random skills should be fun way to play them.

With three random general skills you have 45% chance of having got Block or Wrestle. Not too bad especially if you are happy to cycle though players.

Lyracian.
neubau

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 01:52 Reply with quote Back to top

no more lucky stats is my most hated change of this edition. i dont think anyone will build fun players like splinter or dust anymore.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 04:20 Reply with quote Back to top

yes I too am sad to see all the teams that have years of work go *poof* in a redraft cloud, especially when BB2022 will reverse course and back to no redraft, but they will already be gone like a lineman fling between two trees
tussock

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

For goodness sakes. Teams with years on them have new players all the time. WMDs have thousands of ex-players.

LRB 4 had ageing and TV increases by spp, and tournaments had TV caps, and proper fouling.
LRB 6 had CPOMB spam. No one stayed big after tournament entry.
BB 16 has redrafts, they're just missing on fumbbl by default!
BB 20 has redrafts, and proper fouling.

The FC final teams now are again 2400+ TV, like they have been since CPOMB died. The average in LRB6 was 2000, quite a few teams were down to 1800 by the final.

The average in BB20 will be about 2000 again. Like we had for a decade when you could still take a fairly young team in, 2+ lightning bolt the ball, and win.

--

You know what's popular on fumbbl? Box Trophy, 15 games and done. And league play, usually with some sort of limit on team size or player life. Get with the program, people.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 07:02 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:
For goodness sakes. Teams with years on them have new players all the time. WMDs have thousands of ex-players.

LRB 4 had ageing and TV increases by spp, and tournaments had TV caps, and proper fouling.

The FC final teams now are again 2400+ TV, like they have been since CPOMB died. The average in LRB6 was 2000, quite a few teams were down to 1800 by the final.

The average in BB20 will be about 2000 again. Like we had for a decade when you could still take a fairly young team in, 2+ lightning bolt the ball, and win.

--

You know what's popular on fumbbl? Box Trophy, 15 games and done. And league play, usually with some sort of limit on team size or player life. Get with the program, people.

+1

Mind you we had all the "sky is falling" types thru each of those changes too...

So nothing changes!
jarvis_pants

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 07:28
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

ThierryM wrote:

Some may already know me as a monomaniac Skeletons' team coach.

Hey bro...

... why you so fast?

https://fumbbl.com/p/team?team_id=816302

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 07:51 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:

guy with a 5 year old 300 game fluffy lino team says some changes arent cool.
> play 15 games and done teams, get with the program.

the new rules might be decent for short leagues/tournaments, but this isnt the topic of the thread.

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 08:49 Reply with quote Back to top

I don't think we will see allot of Legend players with pure random skills outside someone who decide to make a team with nothing but random skills for fun, which I think can potentially be decently competitive in the hands of an experienced coach.

From my limited experience you will now tend to think about how long it will take for a player to get to that next level and what skill you need on the team. If a league or season is a certain number of games you will have to make a decision if you spend and get something now or wait.

You have no idea if and how many point a certain player will be able to get. You might be able to know roughly how many point you can get on players that generally score or perhaps a Thrower that consistently gain one or two points per game.

As a rookie can now get an MVP for 4 SPP and sit there for five or more games it probably is better to roll a random primary skill for a mere extra +10TV even if the skill is situational.

Teams that have other positional players on larger numbers than two probably also can benefit from a few random skills during their progression, especially late in a season if you might not thing you want to redraft them.

It will be a question if you want those skills now or later and how much the cost of your team you are willing to get. Choosing secondary skill will have a pretty high cost on your TV. If you do this you have to make sure that skill really is worth the cost.

Many players can roll a few random from which you then can pick skills that complement them and tailor players that way. This is probably a strategy that work for some coaches better than others. Some coaches really like certain builds and will have a problem using random and I think that is fine too and both will work.

Will we see cheap Legends... not likely outside for fun in my opinion. In a 15 game season it probably will be rare for Lineman players to even get 46 SPP to begin with.

In 15 games you are likely to get roughly on average 150-250 SPP depending on success in total... that is roughly 10-20 SPP per player... but obviously certain players will hog most of them so that probably leave about 5-15 SPP for Lineman type players in a season.
koadah

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 09:02 Reply with quote Back to top

tussock wrote:

--

**** the program. Wink

Seriously though. The average what will be 2000 what?

Edit: Ah, Fumbbl Cup team? A lot of people don't play the Fumbbl Cup. They definitely won't, now that they have to keep grinding their teams up from 1350.

I guess that fewer people will be scared off by massive, bloated monstrosities. But really, you could have run a 2000TV "major" at any time in the last 17 years.

There is not much special about 2000TV. It doesn't feel very "Major".

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 10:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Dunno, majors might force redrafting before/after so it might actually level the field and more people might take part...it could be argued it'll be more a battle of coaches than teams, which is good in my book.

Fluffy mega teams etc could be kept untouched/unredrafted or moved to L division, hoping they'll find a decent home in the future.
stej

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 10:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, it took me 11 years to get my first and only legend, so getting one super early at 46spp could be a fun thing to try.
I guess it would depend on how good / bad the skills you could get at random for that player would be.
Not sure I like adding more RNG to the team management side of things, but I guess it's wait and see what happens when the rules get tested in the fumbbl environment
ThierryM

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 12:06 Reply with quote Back to top

My main concern is the "choice" I'm offered.

None...

As far as I have understood, my team (and many others) will be merged and there is no other option.

I built it in R to see it get a background, an History, a flavor. And all this will go poof.
That's what makes me sad.

Dont get me wrong, coaching a full skelly team in the new environment will be easier. No need to try and get Stats increases or funky skills.

Just stick to the book.

We are supposed to grind the opposition with fouls, bench and regen. Then we will adapt. Scoring is for the Show. Booting is the Linemen's duty. Send us yours, we will take care of their dreams to become BB Legends !

The newly created Division being made for 15 games' runs, good luck to the teams we all know that need more time to develop and get going.
Bye bye diversity and fun (well, my kind of fun).

Please tell me that I missed something somewhere and that we will still be able to have teams that perpetuate. Because redrafting means getting rid of some icons in your roster on a regular basis... Am I wrong ?

Post   Posted: Dec 03, 2020 - 12:53 Reply with quote Back to top

ThierryM wrote:
I built it in R to see it get a background, an History, a flavor. And all this will go poof.

it's the big change of BB2020, I guess we will adapt as you said.

Jump to: