50 coaches online • Server time: 13:40
Index Search Usergroups Profile
Recent Forum Topics goto Post TT League in Cambrid...goto Post Where to put custom ...goto Post Does Ranked have to ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Kondor

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2021 - 11:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Passing sucks in 2020 edition. Got it. So, why bother with fielding throwers?

Without them, it is now REALLY much more difficult to move the ball and score late in the game.

Yo Elf, try throwing that pass now that you are mostly PA4+. No better than humans AND interring with a pass has been added AND inaccurate passes can be wildly inaccurate.

Sure, the defender needs to respect the player that has broken into the open but they can now pressure the ball more freely rather than knock down the potential scorer.

If you want to take the ball from side to side it is also tougher as it often involved a hand off and then a short pass. Can be done, but much more risky.

I am starting to think that having throwers may be valuable just to keep the defense honest rather than being forced into a one dimensional running game.
MattDakka

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2021 - 12:20 Reply with quote Back to top

Throwers/Runners are still needed on some starting teams lacking rrs to take Leader, but yes generally speaking they are not as good as they should be and Wildly Inaccurate is too bad. It should be avoided (or at least reduced: 1D3 squares) if you have the Pass skill.
Another idea could be boosting Safe Pass skill, so it cancels the Fumble (as now) and turns Wildly Inaccurate into Fumble (as extra effect).
At least there would be a way to avoid Wildly Inaccurate.
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2021 - 15:35 Reply with quote Back to top

I have been playing Pro Elves with 2 throwers and just one catcher. Apart from injury attrition, the passing game is fine. Generally one of my throwers gets the ball and passing is good.

My Nobility team has a thrower as well but he's more of a hand off merchant... finding it hard to skill him up (sure hands!) but he has passed some quick / short ones.

I may be lucky, but yet to strike a Wildly Innacurate with a thrower yet.
Alien_the_Alien

Post   Posted: Sep 22, 2021 - 16:06 Reply with quote Back to top

The thing is that most teams with thrower will need to score in a few turns at some points, and hand offs aren't going to be enough.
Yes passing isn't great, but let's be honest, it never was. Throwers are still nice to have to make a difficult action easier. An occasional touchdown is worth their cost imo, at least with pro elves.
 Jump to: