50 coaches online • Server time: 18:57
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Skittles' Centu...goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Are Ogres a broken team? Consider LONG TERM
Yes
57%
 57%  [ 96 ]
no
42%
 42%  [ 72 ]
Total Votes : 168

Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2004 - 22:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Cheers MickeX I dont have to bother making another post Very Happy

From playing against ogre teams on Fumbbl I've come to the conclusion that they're really poor.

They have prettty much one starting roster, which obviously dosen't allow for a great deal of flexability.

The only way your going to even get close to 11 ogres on the field is by playing well over TR250 since you need those re-rolls badly and lets face it, the game mechanics start to break down at that sort of level anyway.

The lack of gen skills is crippling, you'll often find ogres pass bonehead with a re-roll only to roll pow/skulls for a quick turnover.

The gaps caused by failed boneheads makes the game very easy for your opponent.

Oh and aging really causes problems for them as you'd imagine.

Personally I wouldn't bother using an ogre team till they have access to the vault strength skills, which should hopefully make them both more reliable and more interesting.

Overall they seem to be a pretty poorly thought out team at the moment (although that was my opinion on Khemri when they became official - silly me).

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2004 - 22:27 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a high level ogre team (http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=131080), and though I admit I'm not the best coach out there, I find they aren't very successful at all at high TR. In their last 11 games I have won 1 (vs dwarfs). Their casuatly ratio over 28 games is a gargantuan +11 (although I do tend to focus on securing the ball rather than bashing). The lack of general access makes it nigh impossible to catch teams with lots of blodge, but it is a little easier going against other bashy teams. Ogres are unreliable and unskilled.
Cortelll

Post   Posted: Dec 16, 2004 - 22:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey they are much better than Vampires!! at least they don't kill their own!!

Vamps Group
gken1

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 16:15 Reply with quote Back to top

looks like it's almost a split...
BadMrMojo

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 16:41 Reply with quote Back to top

My biggest complaints are not quite that ogres are broken because they're too powerful (although I really kind of think that they are), but rather that they break all the rules for team creation and set a bad precedent. What's next? A Khorne team with everything that Chaos has and 0-4 Bloodthirsters instead of Chaos Warriors? A Mordheim team which is Humans, but with ST 3 catchers and 60K RRs? It's just not a good plan, in my opinion. I think the No General Access rule will keep them from running too rampant, once we get rid of all the grandfathered teams, at least.

They duplicate another roster except that they are even better in every respect except RR cost(Gobbos). They break the fundamental rule that big guys can't use RRs. It is a team that only has one competitive starting roster. Etc...

All this is just bad team design to try to fit minis. It's understandable - GW is a business and their job is to sell miniatures, naturally - but disappointing. I would rather have seen all ogres and a clause allowing less than 11 starting players or, preferably, a team of regular ogres as positional players and substandard ogres (with Really Stupid, -ma, -ag or some combination thereof) as linemen.

Oh, well. Too late for all that now.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah, why does eveyone compare Ogre teams to Goblin teams? Goblins don't get Ogres, they get two Trolls... and Ogre teams can't have more than 6 Gobbos... Orcs can have up to 4 Gobbos too, and nobody complains that they are so similar to Goblin teams Wink (This isn't meant to be a serious comparison, but I still think that Ogre teams are different from Goblin teams.)
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 18:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah they both suck hobbit.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 18:32 Reply with quote Back to top

Just played an ogre team with 9 big'uns and an agility 5 gobbo with my vampires. 7 ogres had block, 2 had tackle, etc. So I'd consider it as an ogre team in full swing and at the best of its capability. Game ended in a draw 1-1. Made a simple break against them in 1st half when they had doom and gloom (but he hadn't used rerolls, when I got the ball from him). He gave the ball to his STR 6/block/break tackle ogre on offense and i managed to knock him down and get it. If this is what ppl are afraid of I have to say: I'll play them any day. He equalized after an ogre intercepted a short pass to a blodging vamp...definetely not scary, if they can't cope with vamps on 200+ TR with 30+ TS in their favour. And the coach was doing quite okay.

The ogre team: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=110518

My vampires: http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=team&op=view&team_id=135575
Macavity

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 18:44 Reply with quote Back to top

Ok, my self confidence is up with Pelzmuff in my corner. Let's see the scary team. Somebody show us the "biggest" Ogres you can find. I want to see 'em, niggless, full of block and strength. Where are they? Show me the Ogres!!! Show ME the Ogres! SHOW me the Ogres! Show me the OGRES! <dragged off with a cane> "we apologize. CSI was a re-run and Jerry Maguire was showing on TV last night" -the management

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 19:03 Reply with quote Back to top

yeah. but that's an OLD ogre team. yeah it's better than the current ogres but let's stick to the new rules.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 19:17 Reply with quote Back to top

Or just ignore any non-ranked ogre matches.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

The whole "think long term" isn't really relevant except to fumbbl, and its not because of fumbbl they became official. The official teams are designed to play a 5 to 7 game tournament and then they are done, game over chaps. Yes they can be frightening, anything with mighty blow can be a bugger to face but they aren't unstoppable and can have some odd things happen.

I play in the All Ogre league atm and I don't use rerolls on my team. Every opponent i played in the season had rerolls. Well i beat em, and why? becuase i played with my ogres on the assumption they were going t do something dumb and screw upat some point cvount on it, buyt htey can also do some amazing things despite the ag2
as an example to win my last game turn 8 dodge out of tackle, step in and collect ball from tackle zone, dodge out again and run home for the score, awesome work that Ogre, left me really chuffed. All withpout a reroll too. The prob with having a reroll on an ogre team is you inevitably burn it on a BoneHead, so dumb. better not having any and buy more ogres.

To be honest lots of teams are broken at High TR but then they aren't really designed to be High TR teams. They are designed to be 7 game wonders and all go home again.

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 19:42 Reply with quote Back to top

I disagree, My tabletop league has been going on for almost 4 years now. We don't reset and teams last a long time. We have teams in the 55 game range so you're statement "it's only a fumbbl problem" is wrong
Kenty

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 19:48 Reply with quote Back to top

I think an Ogre team was more realistic back when a failed Bonehead roll caused a turnover.
Pelzmuff

Post   Posted: Dec 17, 2004 - 21:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Quote:

yeah. but that's an OLD ogre team. yeah it's better than the current ogres but let's stick to the new rules.

To be honest with you...if the current ogres are even weaker I can't see why anyone would consider them scary. But then again vampires are a good team at higher TR. Stronger than ogres in my book and nobody is complaining about them, quite the contrary. Everybody had them down as suckers, which they are Smile.
 Jump to: