65 coaches online • Server time: 21:39
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Draft League Expansi...goto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post NBFL Season 32: The ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
VonManson

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 07:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Hello all,

Have something new cropped up and was after a bit of advice. I have been drawn in a game with a team value 840 higher than mine, what on earth am I supposed to do with that?
pythrr

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 07:34 Reply with quote Back to top

buy a Wizard, MORG, and another cool star and kill them all?

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 07:36 Reply with quote Back to top

oh, you are 1000tv slan. well, in that case, I advise dying valiantly and enjoying yourself.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 08:04 Reply with quote Back to top

Ha ha I love that quick revision. I thought going into a random tournament would create fun variety now I see it's the death of my team ha ha
almic85

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 08:18 Reply with quote Back to top

having played up this much regularly with my UW against all and sundry in the SWL the best advice I can give you is to check your strengths and weaknesses against your upcoming opponent, then read through every combination of inducements you can get and make a decision.

Looking at your team you have next to no development and slann have no basic starting skills so you have a lot of things you need, but the main thing missing is some bashy skills.

If you want to outbash him take Morg, Slibili and a wizard (830k). His team is pretty well developed so he might still win the bash contest unless you are smart with positioning. If you do this try and get Morg to focus on taking out his wolves and ghouls and get them off the pitch as soon as possible.

If you want to outscore him lottabottol and Quetzal will give you a bit more speed and an MV8, AG4 leaper is fun. Back this up with a wizard and you still have 220k to decide if you want extra apo's, extra re-rolls, bribes for fouling, or babes for waking up the dead. or you could spend the 220k on 2 extra mercenary catchers and your team becomes a 15 man team that tries to outrun and outscore him.

Personally I think the bashing option is a lower risk strategy for winning, but the outscoring option would be more fun.

If you're interested join the Fringe
Silent_Hastati

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 08:50 Reply with quote Back to top

For the record, he's only at a 450 gap. The ±390 is not something added to his TV, it's his MatchMaker range.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 09:21 Reply with quote Back to top

For the record: Depending on which of his Slann teams is involved the TV difference CAN be 840 (for his Torbay Hoppers). Smile

Thunder and lightning heading your way
tussock

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 09:35 Reply with quote Back to top

The Smack brawl is a 450 gap, the Blackbox brawl is an 840 gap.

At 1000 TV Frogs vs 1450 Khemri, you want a Wizard and ... well that's really all you need with 3 catchers, turn them over early and stall as long as you can. 300 extra gets you an Apo, and a couple Merc linefrogs to sit on the line.

At 1140 TV Frogs vs 1980 Necro, that necro squad's got about 100k of useless bloat in it already, almic knows his stuff there, I like Slibli and Morg to blitz those wolves if he exposes them. Just look after them a bit so they survive a while, keep your team together. I might run Wizard, Apos, and Mercs to get the team through instead though, use the Wizard to threaten to spoil a long stall and hope to turn it over and go all the way late.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 13:34 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for all the great advice. Will have a little number crunch later on.
b4nshee

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 13:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Would be nice if you

1. would let us know which team you had in mind with your question (as there was some confusion about it),
2. tell us which inducements you bought, and
3. how it worked! Smile

Thunder and lightning heading your way
Wreckage

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 14:01 Reply with quote Back to top

My advice would be to develop a team first a little before you enter a TV unrestricted tournament (major). Razz
ArrestedDevelopment

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 14:38 Reply with quote Back to top

Wreckage wrote:
My advice would be to develop a team first a little before you enter a TV unrestricted tournament (major). Razz

lol

pythrr wrote:
oh, you are 1000tv slan. well, in that case, I advise dying valiantly and enjoying yourself.

lol

Yeah, there's some teams that entering a rookie/near rookie mob into a major is fine with, since, actually, they either level off quickly or arguably go downhill with skills or have a very strong starting base and thus benefit much more from inducements.
Slann start off very re-roll intensive, low on skills, average stat-line and Slibli aside, don't really get a lot of bang for their buck in inducements.

That said:

pythrr wrote:
buy a Wizard, MORG, and another cool star and kill them all?

Is usually the done thing. Induce for fun, play for fun. Morg always gets ripped btw. Usually on a DP foul. But how many times are you gonna get the chance to induce him?

Other serious answer: slibli, wiz, babes, dp lino, bribes + w/e else.

[edit] Don't feel bad about entering a low tv team into a major btw. Plenty of people do it. Just don't expect to have the team after it. You never know, you could've got one of the rookie goblin/fling teams in the black cup as a first round opponent.

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 15:43 Reply with quote Back to top

I was trying to talk about inducements in a vague way as I didn't want to just be told get this to beat your opponent if that makes sense.

The question was more aimed at the tv840 difference as it is so mind numbingly big. If I am honest I wasn't really sure what I was entering ha ha oh well when I win it all everyone will enter with rookie teams ha ha
Verminardo

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 16:08 Reply with quote Back to top

The point is, it depends heavily on the match-up. Some teams have access to great star players and some don't, some teams do well with fouling or have secret weapons so bribes work well for them, some teams have very valuable players so multiple apoths might be good... Flings will want to get the Chef, Regen teams might consider the Igor... As a general rule you'd usually take the Wizard first, then look at what Star Players might make sense, then use the rest for Bloodweiser Babes first, Apoth/Bribes second, but there are a lot of exceptions to that. In some match-ups the Wizard isn't all that great, or you have a Star Player that is better than the Wizard (okay with 840k you should be able to get both). If you don't have quite that much inucement money, you might want to take Mercenaries instead of Star Players. I once took a Mercenary Kicker because it made sense at the time. It really depends.

Last edited by Verminardo on %b %16, %2016 - %16:%Jun; edited 1 time in total
Kryten

Post   Posted: Jun 16, 2016 - 16:10
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

VonManson wrote:
I was trying to talk about inducements in a vague way as I didn't want to just be told get this to beat your opponent if that makes sense.

The question was more aimed at the tv840 difference as it is so mind numbingly big. If I am honest I wasn't really sure what I was entering ha ha oh well when I win it all everyone will enter with rookie teams ha ha

I sometimes get complaints as a Security Officer about high TV difference games. I advise one of two basic strategies:

1) Wizard, Babes, and other tools to try to win by touchdowns. The Wizard in particular can often completely derail one of your opponent's drives. If you have the right kind of team, you might even be able to turn that into a defensive TD and put your opponent under pressure to score twice.

2) Three bribes, merc dirty players, and foul them off the pitch. This strategy is the basic approach to a heavy bashing side where you are outmatched in the bashing war. Three bribes is enough for a great many fouls, often eight or more. Give yourself a chance to get lucky! Foul like there's no tomorrow and see what happens. You simply can't sit back and let a heavy bash team do what they want for 16 turns - you'll get murdered.
 Jump to: