50 coaches online • Server time: 14:16
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Claw/MBgoto Post 90+ Custom Rosters!goto Post Designer's Comm...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Leadpipe

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 02:47 Reply with quote Back to top

So I have just played my first game, and boy am I pumped! Very Happy I mean, the game was a disaster, and my skill level (as someone who had never played with a human before) definitely shows. Anyways, I was hoping some experienced players could give me some pointers as to what plays I might have wanted to avoid, what plays could have been done sooner or later in my sequencing, and what plays they would've personally made instead, cause every ounce of criticism is welcomed in order to improve my play.

Here's the game in question: https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3858930 Also, I am aware about certain very obvious misplays I commited on nerves alone, such as throwing some 1d6 blocks before doing more likely plays and completely forgetting to pass during the last turn to farm SPPs, so you can totally avoid talking about those unless you feel like there was a more important action that was much less obvious.
tussock

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 03:22 Reply with quote Back to top

Hey. Specific feedback is difficult with very new players, because there's a lot. Main thing is you need to cage or screen off the ball well enough that they can't block a way through to it. That's not the easiest thing while trying to move forward and protect players, but that's what we all try for.

Khemri really have to aim to control the clock, but you won't manage that unless you have the basics down.

https://fumbbl.com/help:Thousand+Losses+Playbook

That will help you with the basics. It's pretty thorough, so don't expect to absorb it all at once, but find pieces that look like they'll help most and work on them one or two at a time.

Protecting your ball carrier is your first step.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 03:35 Reply with quote Back to top

Your first mistake is the team creation, you shouldn't have two rookie Thro-Ra's at the beginning. Two Blitz-Ra's but only two Re-Rolls is better, it saves you Re-Rolls and they are more resisting. Your team needs Block in its early phase of team development!
With the remaining 50k you can hire a Skeleton and have a reserve, which is good for half 2 as you should be able to still have 11 players active while your opponent may not.

The set up on offense was also bad. Try to maximize the chances to block the players on the LOS in case they didn't become knocked down. Push them along the LOS and not in a field one square behind it. Put the Thro-Ra and skeleton, who backup, closer to the outer defense to avoid breakthroug on Blitz! If you push a Troll, try to push him to a square where he is not adjacent to a player of his team. He has to move a player first and put next to the Troll if he wants to use the Troll at 2+ instead of 4+! I see that you didn't use a Blitz attempt in turn 1. Whenever possible use it, preferably with a three dice block and if that takes too much effort than a two dice block.
Don't put your ball carrier one square behind a player, that is already in a tackle zone. You risk that if he gets pushed or knocked down, you offer a chance to blitz your ball carrier and if not than your opponent has at least put up a tackle zone on your Agility 2 ball carrier which means that he has to get away this tackle zone with blocks or a blitz before he is able to move.
You were lucky that he didn't use a Re-Roll to knock your ball carrier down.

Don't put your skeleton one square behind a skeleton who is very likely to be pushed and knocked down in the subsequent turn. By this you have two skeletons trapped against a Black Orc Blocker with Strength 4!

When you tried to recover the ball from the Black Orc Blocker with your Blitz-RA, you were lucky that you rolled that 4+ chance (Both Down, Pow/Dodge, Pow against Skull and Pushback, Pushback). You better had blocked the Blitzer with your Thro-Ra, used the mummy to blitz the Black Orc Blocker with two dices and eventually would be able to pick up the ball with the Blitz-Ra who was in a good position to run and score.

The block with Tomb Guardian #4 should have resulted in the pushback to as far away from the ball as possible, therefore not diagonal but angular. Also follow up with the Tomb Guardian as:
You absolutely should have tried to pick up the ball with the remaining Skeleton and run to your scoring zone.
If you had followed up with the TG, you had all his players in a tackle zone and forced him to roll a 3+ before he was even able to throw a dice on your ball carrying Skeleton.

On Turn 7 you should've used TG #4 to blitz their Blitzer and push him onto the ball, hoping for a good bounce and eventually pick up the ball or at least have some tackle zones on it.
At the end of turn 7 you dodged with the Skeleton and put up a second tackle zone on their blitzer, leaving the ball completely untouched. Instead you should've put your Skeleton next to Blitzer #8, diagonal to the ball and therefore not in the tackle zone of Lineman #10.

That is my advise for half 1. Smile
Leadpipe

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 03:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the book, tussock! I'll read the relevant stuff in a bit, I did need to play a game first and foremost to know exactly what I struggle with. Honestly, something I have a lot of trouble is the neutral game. Like, for example, when there's already been some advancement in the game I can spot easily possible plays, and start filtering them based on how effective they each are, but I have a lot of issues at positioning my players at the initial drive, where nothing has happened yet. I really need to learn how to make a good first turn, since most of my losses come from ending up in a bad spot out of poor planning. Also, the concept of caging isn't really alien to me, but I sometimes have issues finding the most efficient way of building one. one example is in turn two where I tried to protect my Throh-Ra with the skeles, but I ended up building such a frail cage that I ended up with two wholes that I didn't notice until after I hit the "end turn" button. The former problem is one I feel like I need to study up to avoid making again, but the latter is something I'll prolly go developing as I play more games.
ramchop

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 05:12
FUMBBL Staff
Reply with quote Back to top

Leadpipe wrote:
So I have just played my first game, and boy am I pumped!

Awesome! Stay pumped, leap in again. And again! And again!

Don't get discouraged if you get huge scores and cas against. Learn by your mistakes.

And yeah, read a bit if you must. Smile
Leadpipe

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 05:35 Reply with quote Back to top

ramchop wrote:
Leadpipe wrote:
So I have just played my first game, and boy am I pumped!

Awesome! Stay pumped, leap in again. And again! And again!

Don't get discouraged if you get huge scores and cas against. Learn by your mistakes.

And yeah, read a bit if you must. Smile

heheh, thanks for the positive vibes, but due to having to take care of house maintenance and having offered myself to catsit for a friend of mine this is prolly both my first online game ever and my last online game of the year Razz
Roland

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 07:15 Reply with quote Back to top

If you want to watch some good khemri play, watch this guys games:
https://fumbbl.com/~bigGuy
Seventyone

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 08:28 Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to FUMBBL! I'd try spectating a few games and asking other spectators to talk you through what is happening and why. Also join the 145 club.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 09:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I have a crash course in teaching someone how to play wood elves, if you are interested. I give you one thing each game for you to practice and focus on, adding one more thing each game until you HAVE game. You have to make some ranked wood elves of course, and ' conditions apply.'Let me know if you are interested.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 09:12 Reply with quote Back to top

Please click my banner below if you are interested in joining 145 club Smile

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 19:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks guys! I actually have been spectating games for a whole month, so I decided to just jump into a game after much holding back. I do need to get a bit more games in to understand more about how certain things work, but for srtuff such as caging and screening I have been reading the file I was recommended to right here. I have also watched a couple of commentaries that helped me understand a bit of the decision making that goes into a match. Basically, I had been watching a lot and I was instead having troubles with jumping into a game xD

Also, I already applied for the 145 Club. I think I haven't gotten accepted yet, tho.
thoralf

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 20:05 Reply with quote Back to top

The first rule of Khemri is: don't play under Pouring Rain.
The second rule is: hit with 3 dice as often as you can.
The third rule: start fouling as soon as getting one guy ejected carries little risk.
The fourth rule: cage within a cage.
The fifth rule: if you feel like it, forget rules - hit and foul.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 20:42 Reply with quote Back to top

Advice,

1,Take laptop to cat sit with
2, Take lots of beer to cat sit with
3, Make cat comfortable,
4, Play loads of games, Cats sleep for 16 hours a day Very Happy
Have fun
pythrr

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 21:06 Reply with quote Back to top

1. don't listen to Dom.

Post   Posted: Dec 11, 2016 - 21:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Leadpipe wrote:
Thanks guys! I actually have been spectating games for a whole month, so I decided to just jump into a game after much holding back. I do need to get a bit more games in to understand more about how certain things work, but for srtuff such as caging and screening I have been reading the file I was recommended to right here. I have also watched a couple of commentaries that helped me understand a bit of the decision making that goes into a match. Basically, I had been watching a lot and I was instead having troubles with jumping into a game xD

Also, I already applied for the 145 Club. I think I haven't gotten accepted yet, tho.

You are in!