24 coaches online • Server time: 06:49
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Theory-craft Leaguegoto Post On-spot substitution...goto Post Juggernaut as counte...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 18:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Overhamsteren wrote:
Christer wrote:
2. Descriptions of the divisions
These have been unchanged for a very long time. I am fully aware that the Blackbox description is rough and negative, but you have to realize that the current description is what has been showing on the previous layout for a very long time and people *still* complain that it's too bashy and hard to keep teams alive. It's inherently going to be bashy with the format it uses, and that will mean that teams will get smashed to pieces. In my opinion, the Blackbox division is *supposed* to more or less force-retire teams eventually. Anyway, making that rather harsh description more to the fore-front will hopefully work to reduce the complaints about how teams are ground to pieces eventually. From what I have gathered so far, the latest update to the scheduler made it better for new teams, and you only get to face min-maxed opponents later on. That sounds to me like the change did exactly what I wanted it to do.

So the bad part is that if you really get to like a team and play it a lot then at some point you will enter the last stage of the box which can be heavy attrition almost every game and you might be forced to retire.

My guess is though that very few coaches build good first teams anyway and rarely keep them around so the long term problem is probably negligible.

I'm more than happy to be in the negligible part of the FUMBBL community, but if that's the stance of the FUMBBL commissioner (as BigC words suggest) I would like it to be a lot more manifest. Just say in the description: "teams are expected to run for 30 games max".
No more reason to run a
Nominations for the Famous Teams FUMBBL Badge
for the Box, if rules are tweaked to "force-retire teams".
At least, give to the negligible part of the community that made the irrecoverable error of building a fluff team in B the option to switch to R.
Mind you, not that I'm sure to use it, I quite like to play the VTS in the Box and I plan to stay there. But I'm sure than the majority of the negligible part of the FUMBBL community just gave up playing their favorite teams...

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 18:34 Reply with quote Back to top

The site wants teams to get force retired?

koadah

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 18:38 Reply with quote Back to top

If we're only meant to play 30 games the transfer to [L]eague button would be cool. Wink

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 18:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Rolling Eyes I'm pretty sure he was just saying the division is meant to be brutal.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 18:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Clawpomb ragefest in 3.... 2.... 1....

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 19:11 Reply with quote Back to top

Garion wrote:
Rolling Eyes I'm pretty sure he was just saying the division is meant to be brutal.

Over 1500TV chaos play almost as many games as orcs, dwarves & undead combined. That's not counting CDs & Nurgle.

It's a bit more than just being bashy or brutal. But yeah, people can take it or leave it.

Chainsaw wrote:
Clawpomb ragefest in 3.... 2.... 1....

Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 19:20 Reply with quote Back to top

It's possible the description contributes to a self-fulfilling prophecy.
the_Sage

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 19:55 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:

This. And no Oenarlod, they're not force-retired, just forced back to a lower TV to rebuild. =D
Respect to 500+ games with humans in the box.
OenarLod

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 20:37 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:

Exactly this one.
I'm not whining on CPOMB in any way, neither on getting pixels destroyed. I have no problem rebuilding from scratch (I did it several time).
The problem is that the Box environment got worse in the last month, and min-maxers or killer teams are only a partial explanation. Most players started to think that the Box was doomed and loudly say so, inducing a negative feedback loop. Management decision on the division reinforced it, leading to a "try a team for a few game and that's it" mentality, leaving the mid-high TV box to killers and a few maniacs like me, cameronhawkins, Dunenzed, tmoila and so on.
If even the official stance on division is pointing in that direction, I would like to see it more openly so we can avoid discussions on making the Box a nice place again.
Anyway, sorry BigC for derailing the thread, I will stop here.

Post   Posted: Sep 17, 2014 - 21:53 Reply with quote Back to top

fidius wrote:

There might be some truth to this.

Anyway, I too really liked the alternative box description proposed on page 1 of this thread.

Maybe add something like this towards the end:
"You take the blue pill, you believe whatever you want to believe, playing the teams handing you wins by default. You take the red pill, and the Box can show you how far your skill can actually take you."

3... 2... 1... Wink

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
mrknify

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2014 - 21:21 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
fidius wrote:

There might be some truth to this.

Anyway, I too really liked the alternative box description proposed on page 1 of this thread.

Maybe add something like this towards the end:
"You take the blue pill, you believe whatever you want to believe, playing the teams handing you wins by default. You take the red pill, and the Box can show you how far your skill can actually take you."

3... 2... 1... Wink

Agree.

Of course looking at rules for bb7's would make a great addition to stunty leeg. No star players, poor violent mans league. A player gets too powerful they get drafted to the big games.

This would allow running seasons where a team could play almost indefinatly, drafting out the highly skilled players forces a tactics challenge.

Cheers.

keggiemckill

Post   Posted: Nov 16, 2014 - 22:36 Reply with quote Back to top

Black Box: Challenging Division that is not for the sympathetic hearts. Random Opponents of various skill set.

Ranked: Open Division and that provides a spot for optional/ preferred opponent or team choice.

Jeffro
 Jump to: