57 coaches online • Server time: 23:34
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...goto Post Gnomes are trash
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 22:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I question the idea that in a series of say 7 matches, the expert playing cpomb would consistently (say at least 4/1/2 or 3/2/2) beat another expert, if the other expert could use the team of their choice that's not cpomb and build at any TV over 1500

Why do I think this?

1. Expert players would select teams that are a good matchup against cpomb, are tuned to deal with bash and play well against them during the game because of a lot of experience.
2. It's actually a somewhat risky above average variance strategy because it's predicated on developing players in a specific way that has very little leeway in positioning or ball handling. Is it any surprise that Kenthis ragequit after losing all his killers and being left with a wrestle guard beastmen.
3. Expert players with Cpomb will pants neophytes who have little idea how to team build around the elephant in the room, nor how to use in game tactics to limit the amount of blocks given and punish the use of piling on directly with a boot or through positioning. This is where the most gnashing and wailing stems from - people who havent had time to tune their teams and their game method to cpomb teams.

I like to think that I've improved recently but I can't place my finger on why (a lot of that AG5 and elfball and dirty dice) but the first step towards doing that was repetition of game method in defensive positioning and adjusting based on game situation, building and playing with teams that have extremely generous benches and fouling methodically and always pressing my gfi luck at almost every opportunity. I like to think its helped me in some ways, whether directly with the dice on the table or indirectly with psychology but as I said, a lot of it has to do with fortunate dice and AG5 shenanigans.
PainState

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 23:22 Reply with quote Back to top

a few thoughts from the back bench as I sip on my stein of beer.

#1 For the love of God and all that is holy please never mention TS in relation to match making in the box ever again. It did not work back then and it will not work now. If you do not believe me just go to page 6-8 of the Black Box forum and read the wasteland of TS in the box threads.

#2 If any coach mentions that straw man know as "the expert Blood Bowl coach" again I will come off this back bench and smack this stein over your head.

#3 Malmir you are just suffering a human condition commonly called "worn out". Every div. on FUMBBL will give you this feeling from time to time. Each coach has a set of goals or a style he likes to play on FUMBBL in each of these Divs. After time though, the repetition of endless Blood Bowl. It just wears you out man. You lose your passion and drive and just think this is all a waste of time.

Side note: I have decided that, yes, in the end, this is all one massive time sink of wasted time.

Only you can figure it out how to get past that feeling.

Post   Posted: May 23, 2015 - 23:55 Reply with quote Back to top

Why has this thread not been locked and redirected to the one and only CPOMB thread on the site?

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 00:07 Reply with quote Back to top

Cavetroll wrote:
Why has this thread not been locked and redirected to the one and only CPOMB thread on the site?

My question is why is this in general chat and not the Box Forum.

My thought on this thread is that it is not a CPOMB thread because, well, that CPOMB thread is so boring and pointless, this one at least had a few posts that were interesting.

Getting booted to the CPOMB thread means you are just boring.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 00:15 Reply with quote Back to top

It's pretty boring tbh.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 00:19 Reply with quote Back to top

JimmyFantastic wrote:
It's pretty boring tbh.

Don't get me wrong, I think it is gotten really boring at this point.

Lucky for us. By this time tomorrow it will be buried in the General topic thread list.

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 01:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Box is where Legends go to when they can't get games in ranked anymore.
Thus, hard mode.
nufflehatesme

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 02:25 Reply with quote Back to top

i think if you are a good coach and are consistently clpombing in the box, you have chosen easy mode.

you can bash a few teams with clpomb and think how easy it is, then get rolled by another clpomb and blame the ruleset, complaining how their was nothing you could do to win.
problem is, you chose the most random path to victory, so suck it up when you get diced
Balle2000

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 04:16 Reply with quote Back to top

Malmir wrote:
I'm just curious if other find box players find it as unfulfilling as I do and if so why they continue to play it. For me, I want to win one box major and then I'll prob stop bothering. Why do you play?

I like Malmir's question. This thread does not have to be about persecuting cpomb, it can be about the honest question "why do you lot bother" Smile

@Malmir allow me to give my answer.

League is by far my favorite division.

But I really like the box and the competitive environment it creates. It's the best alternative for when I am not scheduled in League. Sure you can get a string of match-ups versus killstack rosters where actual game play and coaching goes out the window. But on the other hand, there has been an influx of interesting rosters and builds lately as well that help keep the Box interesting through providing variety. You will meet coaches who focus on winning; coaches who focus on causing casualties; and even coaches who just don't care that much; but we are all enticed towards making the best of any situation.

Ranked, to me, is essentially more about the pre-match haggling and bargaining about how much an advantage you can get/disadvantage you will accept - often making sure your opponent isn't that good. Making sure your matchup is favorable is the core dynamic in this division, and maybe the most important skill you must develop to ensure your success. And unfortunately the importance of actual coaching ability is in direct correlation to how fair you have allowed the matchup to be. And still then, the rosters have been stacked over time, and developed synthetically by playing more or less curated opposition. To me, these "ground rules" only serve to dull the senses and nurture complacency. It reminds me of arranged marriage.

So why do I play Box? For me to keep Blood Bowl interesting I have to play Box. I play for the constant challenges of facing tough as nails B-teams, while also accepting that sooner or later my team will get slaughtered by a team built for causing destruction. Often assuming defeat versus violent rosters is maybe a much bigger problem than those actual rosters themselves. I find it's as much about checking in on your own attitude, than it is about CRP's underdeveloped game dynamics for high TVs.

So what I would call unfulfillment, would be to becoming a "good coach" by constantly stacking the matchups in your own favor - or at least avoiding the outright difficult ones (unless it's against a Rookie coach) - and subsequently entering R majors with artificially developed rosters.

(Having said that, Box is not perfect, and I think it could benefit from an added dynamic which somehow leads to even more racial diversity at 1700+ TVs).

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
Kondor

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 05:54 Reply with quote Back to top

mrt1212 wrote:

2. It's actually a somewhat risky above average variance strategy because it's predicated on developing players in a specific way that has very little leeway in positioning or ball handling. Is it any surprise that Kenthis ragequit after losing all his killers and being left with a wrestle guard beastmen.

Ok, this made me chuckle. I had not noticed Kenthis had been gone so long. The one game I played against him was actually a fun game. However, most of his Box games were with one of the nastiest teams you can develop. When a team like that finally gets hit with the splatter bat, it is a good thing.

I am going to watch that replay right now.
BillBrasky

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 05:59 Reply with quote Back to top

I have said this many times, but I'll say it again:

For those of you that complain about the box, lead, follow, or get out of the way.

If you don't like the "lack of diversity" stop playing mass CD. Activate some elves with your bashers, and others will follow suit.
Kondor

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 06:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I agree Bill. As long as both players have a good attitude it should be fun. I know the WMDs have been rebuilt a few times. You just have to be willing to take your lumps when they come around.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 08:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Kondor wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

I had not noticed Kenthis had been gone so long. The one game I played against him was actually a fun game.

The one game I played against him, he threatened to kill me.
mrt1212

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 08:06 Reply with quote Back to top

harvestmouse wrote:
Kondor wrote:
mrt1212 wrote:

I had not noticed Kenthis had been gone so long. The one game I played against him was actually a fun game.

The one game I played against him, he threatened to kill me.

Laughing Shocked Laughing
selfy_74

Post   Posted: May 24, 2015 - 08:40 Reply with quote Back to top

Why, what did you do to him?

Selfy_74: Verified Stunty Leeg Master

Jump to: