15 coaches online • Server time: 03:13
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes FTW! (Replays...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
What do you think?
Awsome, I'll love this once Mousey rules the world
46%
 46%  [ 26 ]
Hmmmm I like the idea in principle, but......
16%
 16%  [ 9 ]
harvest, will you stop pulling these ideas, out your mousey bum!
26%
 26%  [ 15 ]
Beer
10%
 10%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 56

uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2013 - 22:43 Reply with quote Back to top

This was the idea I was trying to sell when we moved from 3rd ed to lrb4 due to the overpowerful impact of mng players, esp in tournies. (Also it adds another tactical element to team building and should make it easier to find games for older teams without firing healthy players...) So, it would be awesome if this idea was finally implemented, but I think the rule goblins think journeymen is the answer instead.

But who knows, maybe in another 10 years it might be looked at again Razz
werks

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2013 - 23:23 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the idea of 'reserves/not dressed players'. This shouldn't alter game play too much but it would have lots of beneficial results (ie you can keep your crippled legend in the press box and he could play a game here or there without blowing up your TV).

Also would make your after game team management more dynamic.
Igvy

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2013 - 23:32 Reply with quote Back to top

This will hurt the softer teams too much.

Infact, maybe i just don't understand at all. It seems to make bashing more powerful... why?
huff

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2013 - 23:57 Reply with quote Back to top

The total premise of this is great. Opens up a whole other dynamic that you kind of experience in league play, when you know your next opponent. This allows you to build specialty pieces and also getting positionals some experience before taking the field for a full time basis.

And agree about having a more in-depth injury system, just uncertain how to go about it. Some nice ideas there though.

Question is do we want to keep the rules as simple as possible (to some extent) for the prospect of new players or be contempt with those that we have and kept since they discovered the game?
Foad

Post   Posted: Jan 12, 2013 - 23:58 Reply with quote Back to top

I hate changes for the sake of it, but I love this idea.

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 00:06 Reply with quote Back to top

Add: it's like having a guy on the practice squad that may be asked to step up at any time whether it be from injury or they have just proven themselves (say they got +St while filling in for games).

And with this 'practice squad' if you will, then we can reduce the amount teams can carry in their treasury. I know this is a topic of discussion for what it's worth that I'm currently nuetral on.
Qaz

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 00:21 Reply with quote Back to top

The reserve rule is totally prone to abuse thou. I could build a star put him in reserve drop down to a Safer TV to build up another star. There have been plenty of times Where I dreamt about putting a star in hitus while develloping the rest of the team. the way I see this it would lead to monster teams. How would spiral be handled with those rules?

"he who has relied least on fortune is established
the strongest"
Niccolo Machiavelli
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 00:25 Reply with quote Back to top

Igvy wrote:
This will hurt the softer teams too much.

Infact, maybe i just don't understand at all. It seems to make bashing more powerful... why?

It may hurt softer teams at times, but I'm not suggesting removing Journey Men. In the long run it would help softer teams for 2 reasons.

1. They can have a larger database of players, without costing TV.
2. Less players will be retired due to there being less perm results.

Also to make use of the reserve aspect of the rules, you must have 14 players on the books, which doesn't really favour bash teams as much as softer teams.

I've been playing these rules for a while now, and I'm very happy with the balance.
DukeTyrion

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 11:51 Reply with quote Back to top

In Blood Bowl 2 players used to be out for many games. I remember losing a key Star player for 17 matches. Of course, I used to have about 24 players on the roster.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 12:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Qaz wrote:
The reserve rule is totally prone to abuse thou. I could build a star put him in reserve drop down to a Safer TV to build up another star. There have been plenty of times Where I dreamt about putting a star in hitus while develloping the rest of the team. the way I see this it would lead to monster teams. How would spiral be handled with those rules?

It would lead to monster teams, yes. That's part of the idea, to replicate 'proper' sporting team structure.

Also you can only use the reserves (for non injuries) if you had 14 players. I also play a rule where your 2 cheapest players (in your 16) count for free, so these teams would have a full roster.

It's a good point though, 'Super Stars and Legends refusing to be benched' might be worth adding.
Oly1987

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 12:16 Reply with quote Back to top

I really like the idea of this. It brings a whole new tactical element to the game and i like the added team building options. Bring back the BBRC!
Igvy

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

I could totally see a league built around this concept.
Bobs

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 14:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah was definitely thinking anyone past 2-3 skills has to play, not allowing multiple legend players a seat on the bench.
I remember having players missing for years recovering from injuries. (They also had like 12 skills and were just crazy,((house rules)))
Awesome ruleset mouse.

Wizfall

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 14:19 Reply with quote Back to top

At first i liked the idea but now i'm not so sure.
The part i don't like :
*You may swap players in or out of your roster and reserve squad in the post match phase.
I think it will in fact reduce the strategic aspect of the game.
Instead of trying to build a well rounded team, where you have to make compromise to be competitive against all kind of opponent, you could build more specialized players and always had the most perfect roster available to you thanks to your reserve player. Much less compromise needed.
The main balancing problem i could see is the dodge/tackle ratio and bashy/number of players on the bench for the game.
By allowing to change these 2 factors you greatly modify the balance.
I know for example i would build 2 of my allowed reserve players to be specialized against dodgy teams (tackle and maybe even DT if i could). Huge impact on the game.
harvestmouse

Post   Posted: Jan 13, 2013 - 14:34 Reply with quote Back to top

You are correct on all fronts, yes. It would mean you can tailor your squad to the opponent you face (in a league environment) In an open environment (which I'm not sure it would work for anyway) you wouldn't be able, because your team would already be readied.

As pointed out, I think it's an optional way to play in a League environment. It works for me..........but I only play myself and of course I don't try to abuse the system!

In an open environment, I would want it used with FF/win ratio match making, which might be problematic as Teams TV would rollercoaster.
 Jump to: