23 coaches online • Server time: 03:56
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Pact/Renegades metagoto Post killing by fun?goto Post Raising a Thrall wit...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Winni

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 12:34 Reply with quote Back to top

+++ Breaking News +++ Breaking News +++ Breaking News +++

Rumours of various money sums having been transferred from Bretonnia to the bank account of one certain northern BB coach have not (yet) been verified and must still be considered as rumours.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 12:36 Reply with quote Back to top

+++ Breaking News +++ Breaking News +++ Breaking News +++

Various death threats to one certain northern coach by different BB coaches from Albion are a fact, however.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 12:43 Reply with quote Back to top

Well, as someone who has to compete in Albion next season (with a not particularly bashy Chaos team - but at least one that has a few can-openers to deal with the dorfs and c-dorfs), all I can say is that at least when it comes to the inter-conference shield all those bashy teams will be on my side...

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 14:22 Reply with quote Back to top

To be honest I'm not really sure what the object of the draft is?...

Does the deciding coach "fix" things so that they play in a league that suits them in an effort to win the league?
Do they instead think about the inter-conference shield to make sure their league-members are better suited to win it?
Or is it somewhere in between?

I know when I did it, I had the interconference shield in mind, and as it turns out, I chose well to inflict a heavy defeat on the Bret boys.

As pointed out, it seems other coaches just want shot of my team and me so I get bounced around like a pinball.

Can someone enlighten me on the above?

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 14:25 Reply with quote Back to top

The Era of the Undead has begun!

(soon the OWCC will become the OWUCC)
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 14:41 Reply with quote Back to top

Wotfudboy wrote:
To be honest I'm not really sure what the object of the draft is?...

Does the deciding coach "fix" things so that they play in a league that suits them in an effort to win the league?
Do they instead think about the inter-conference shield to make sure their league-members are better suited to win it?
Or is it somewhere in between?

I know when I did it, I had the interconference shield in mind, and as it turns out, I chose well to inflict a heavy defeat on the Bret boys.

As pointed out, it seems other coaches just want shot of my team and me so I get bounced around like a pinball.

Can someone enlighten me on the above?

From the experience of dealing with a range of different coaches going through the drafting process, I think the priority and aims of each coach were different. As you said, you focussed on the Shield (and it paid off). Others try to maintain their legacy by creating a division that they think they can win again. Finally, some just try to fix it to avoid a certain team, or a few teams, that they feel they either can't beat or will hurt their future chances.

I think all are fine, and it doesn't have to be consistent.

From an overall league point of view, the objectives of the draft are:
1. To provide a unique experience compared to other leagues.
2. To offer an interesting prize for winning a Conference.
3. To balance out the Conferences.

(1) speaks for itself.

From the response I get from coaches taking part, I think it achieves (2) as well. People seem to like doing it.

(3) is obviously more tricky, but I think that it is as good a system as any. Quite often the immediate predictions of coaches after the draft turn out to be wrong, and conferences remain unpredictable, which I think is crucial.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 15:25 Reply with quote Back to top

A clear and thorough answer. Thank you. It has been puzzling me for a while but I never got around to asking.

And yes, I think it keeps the league unique, encourages competitiveness and some measure of balance too.

I was interested in coaches motivation behind draft choices... And you have clarified that.

Now I want to know if draft-maker coaches bounced my team around because they fear bash, fear me, prefer agile, prefer other coaches or something else. After all a lack of tackle/MB should make me an easy target for any good elf team/coach.

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 17:53 Reply with quote Back to top

Since some are wondering about the decision process here's mine that I wrote up after making my selection. This is my selection in order with my overall strategy at the bottom.

& yes I really wish I could redo it XD

My overall failing was picking the double races first. Didn't know how bad it was going to get.

Some reasoning behind my decisions:

1st off I did this within an hour Razz

Turov's Infected - I really don't want to play Diseased Wasters again. (FAIL)

Marienburg Magpies - Played them for the first time last season & won 4-0 so happy for a rematch Smile

Castle Drachenfels - Seem to be the least scary of the two necros. Have a good record with them as well.

Doom Glade Swamp-Risers - My pick to try and avoid being given the two more developed undead teams.

Foul Peak Crawlers - A chance to have my team put in a blog. Smile

Arkhan Faraohs - good previous record.

Gotland Gorers - Not as scary as the other chaos option although, not too much of a difference that I would throw a early vote to make sure I'd get them.

Western Oblast Raiders Emsk - Despite being a new team, half there skills seem to be either tackle or mighty blow. This is why there this far down the list.

Lahma Undead United, Undead - less deadly than the other undead, although not a whole lot of difference between the two of them.

Palinam Diadochi, High Elf - I see this team as being able to easily beat me due to the two tackle blitzers and bad head-to-head record against them.

Nidhoggstad Icedragons, Norse - we've never played, but they seem to have the only player with mighty blow, tackle & piling on. Plus a few more mighty blow & tackle.

Serpents Coast Scavengers, Lizardmen - as scary as the norse, but like the norse it's hard to really consider them when they have a pardon.

Frostheim United, Chaos Dwarf - Not as bad as them.

Barak Varr Goldlords, Dwarf - Let's not talk about them.

I guess my selection comes down to who I have a good head-to-head record with & the damage they could inflict on me. Hopefully I'll be the only elf team so that my opponents have the dilemma of taking tackle & what not to stop me, but be waste of TV against the rest of the division. Granted if I get the Skaven that will complicate it a bit more. Smile
uzkulak

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 20:48 Reply with quote Back to top

Those Royal Pardons can disrupt the best laid plans - and in true Bloodbowl fashion bring a little chaos to proceedings.

From my own experience of doing the draft, the "anti" approach doesnt work as well as the "pro" approach, ie if you set out to avoid the teams you dont want to meet by picking the "other one" from that race, it usually backfires.

The other thing is that with only 5 games to play you wont actually face off against half the people you pick - and if you plan to be at the top of the league that means you wont play many - if any - of your earlier picks. So, its actually better to select the teams you would actually expect to win quite a few games but you might have a natural advantage against.

As for the Goldlords - our regular conferences have been a real battle for the last few seasons and I dont see that changing this time. The magic 7 points mark is getting harder to acheive every season, a tribute to the strength in depth of this league.
Meanandugl

Post   Posted: Jun 23, 2015 - 23:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Wotfudboy wrote:
... I was interested in coaches motivation behind draft choices... And you have clarified that.

Now I want to know if draft-maker coaches bounced my team around because they fear bash, fear me, prefer agile, prefer other coaches or something else. After all a lack of tackle/MB should make me an easy target for any good elf team/coach.

WRT my motivation for the draft choices: I took the view of a team captain or manager who is offered the opportunity to choose his opponents for the group phase of a tourney. If fx you were to make the choices for the English playing in a World Cup most likely Argentina, the Netherlands and Germany would not have been your first picks, no matter who you might face in the k.o. games that follow the group phase. And you wouldn't care if your group would be viewed/voted as the toughest and best of all groups afterwards (= Inter-Conference Shield). Top priority is clearly to make it to the playoffs or k.o. phase.

And WRT the Diseased Wasters: As you said the lack of tackle should give the elven teams (who made the choices this time) a fair chance against your nurgle. The same is imho true for the other nurgle team, and that's why the choice between Wasters and Infected ranked pretty low on my priority list.
The reason why your team has been kicked around again is for sure a different matter. I suppose that the Icedragons - bashy on their own but rather fragile - made avoiding other bashers their top priority (Winni, correct me if this thinking is wrong). By transfering the Wasters they got rid of a dangerous bash team lead by a top coach, so from their point of view the choice is no big surprise.
Winni

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2015 - 05:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Wotfudboy wrote:
a lack of tackle/MB

Indeed, only 50% of your players have MB... thats a huge lack.

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2015 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

I was looking the players records and i saw two great things this season :

-The best thrower is Vnark Deathgivva a goblin from Der Green Tide Yoof ! gratz The Great Gobo Very Happy

-The best scorer is Stilythe the ghost. It's not that surprising for a natural OT gutter runner, but with all the great fluff Leilond gived us this season, I find it great. Runrunrunrun!
And it's also the all time record in one season with 9 TD. Gratz Leilond !
easilyamused

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2015 - 12:48 Reply with quote Back to top

"Heeeey goblins!" exclaimed Grimjuice

"I might know them, let's ask if they have seen bunny."

As Grimjuice walked over he noticed a surly attitude to the other goblins.

"Wat iz yoo lookin at stumpz?" said Tagarsh Facerippa

Caught by surprise Grimjuice was momentarily quiet, goblins should stick together. Anger soon replaced surprise.

"Have you seen my bunny. You better not have him or there will be trouble...."

Before the goblins could respond the attack was launched. Expecting an easy fight Grimjuice was caught short again.

"Someone tell Hex to get up the lazy bugger!" Grimjuice shouted

"He lookz like a deaden to me bozz." replied Soxmez

H'Zark was quickly losing patience, why were these goblins so tough?

He targeted Tagarsh, he had already disrespected Grimjuice and killed Hex, he must pay.

And pay he did after a brutal blitz taking him straight to the injury box.

But the goblins would not be denied and again Grimjuice was confused.

"How in the name of Mourn did they get down there with the ball?"

The rest of the game became a blur of fouls, anger and confusion as the 2 teams tried to rip each other apart.

At the end all that could be seen was Grimjuice asking another broken body.

"Have you seen my bunny?"

https://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=match&id=3696334

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2015 - 17:57 Reply with quote Back to top

I'm starting writing my fluff. For know it's more story- telling (bad one ofc ^^), but in time i hope doing more or less liek Leilond with rp reports.

It begin in the team bio, then in the games report against the Grimjuice Renegades and against the Saber Moutnain Titans.

English isn t my native language so... sorry about mispells, wrong words and poor grammar.

Now i need a logo ! To work Patator, to work !
gjopie

Post   Posted: Jun 24, 2015 - 18:12 Reply with quote Back to top

I love all the effort going into the Kislev teams! Very promising for the future.

If we don't get any takers for the final spot, I'm thinking of running Kislev as a 7-team Round Robin, each team gets 6 matches (one more than the higher divisions - but Kislev games tend to get played faster anyway!).