76 coaches online • Server time: 19:59
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Secret Stunty Cup IVgoto Post Custom Icon, Portrai...goto Post All Star Bowl!
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
danielcollins

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 04:35 Reply with quote Back to top

This forum thread is for anything relating to Season 52 of the SWL. May all your blocks on elves break armour!

Links:

Announcements:

• Divisional Structure
    1 Premier, 2 Confs, 1 Reggie.
  • Season Commencement
    First round will be due by 28th October. Divisional draws will be up some time around the 14th.
  • Axing
    PM to the swladmin FUMBBL account by 10pm Monday Sydney time if your game has not yet been played. Check out the Guide for more information or check with someone else in chat. This is also the method for advising of parking at the end of a season.
  • General
    Please be aware that we rely on individual coaches to be active in checking this forum, arranging games against opponents (especially if not on east coast of Australia) and in communicating with Admins. The responsibility is on the coach to enquire, not the Admins to inform. Please feel free to ask any questions, anytime.
  • Trial of Blood
    Play matches against other coaches' Fringe teams. Only one game per opponent coach. Any number of games to a TW limit of 120.

Rules to be brought in for Season 53:

• We are inviting open discussion on potential format changes (or any other ideas) to be implemented for the start of next season in 2014.
oryx

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 05:04 Reply with quote Back to top

In b4 First!
Tomay

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 05:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay’s Season Preview LI

Premier League
Last season I underestimated Daudy. Despite having a solid team, I thought his Prem title win was all luck. Having actually played him last season, I can definitely say that it was certainly not all luck – Daudy is in fact a very solid player. Therefore I’m going to say he’s the man to beat this season. Fortunetly, I think that he will be beaten.

By who?

The LHC certainly have a few good matchups this season and will be a force. However, I think the injuries on their blockers and a bit of bloat are going to keep them in the 3rd -4th range.

Crypt-O-Night is the team I’ll be supporting but I think they might be a little short in a few areas, especially without a block mummy or enough tackle.

The Skinks are has beens. They aren’t looking terribly healthy and I don’t think the all out bash approach suits Faulcon’s style.

The Deadvishes have a block mummy as well as a few gems scattered within the roster but are still a little underdone. I hope they can ruin a few people’s days though.

Intoxicated Mayhem is basically everyone’s dream roster. Or is it? They’re out to a crazy 257 TV, which is giving away a lot of inducements to already strong teams. I think they’ll finish around 5th and will be in the running to stay up.

… That leaves the two teams who I think can upset PSA.

The Wonga Wonga Whalekillers have had a long Prem run now. They’ve grabbed a title along the way and have been a threat to PSA in both seasons so far. They have an exceptionally strong roster and I believe Balle has come a long way as a player in recent times.

The Black Swans have a solid roster with a strong core of blitzers. Irgy is a very underated coach, but as usual with him it will come down to whether his balls-to-the-wall approach pays off. If it falls his way, then he will grab another title.

Agitate Conference
This Conference has some speed to burn, look at all that MA8+. Poor Mr Anderson’s dwarves are going to feel very slow.

Semitence had a good last season in reggies, it will be interesting to see what he can do in Conference. It’s good to see another new guy come through with a bit of passion, I hope he does well.

I Still think it will be a battle of the established teams in Psych Lab, Horrors and Tribute. It’s a good chance for tribute to finally show what they can do without much bash around. Redgum’s a little light still but Smegish will have a good season, probably finishing in the mix somewhere.

My prediction:
1st – Psych Lab
2nd – Horrors of Skye
3rd – Tribute

Torturer’s Picnic Conference
This conference is a mixed bag, there’s a bit of everything.

DC just can’t get the norse going but they start stronger this season then they have in the past.

The Sting are showing the toll that Prem has taken on them.

The Green Devils still need a star Marauder or two.

Fraud Squad are everyone’s favourite team to watch but I don’t think they can ever be seriously competitive.

That leaves the three teams I think will be in the running.

The Harlequins are a little light after a tough season in Prem but I think Clay will get them over the line and finish 1st.

ZZoing will finish 2nd probably after losing to the Sphinxes, costing them the Conference Championship. Still, they will get promoted and theo will be back in Prem after a long hiatus.

The Sphinxes will have a good time against the less agile teams but I think the Harlequins and Sting will prove troublesome. Still Luo has them working well so they’ll be up there.

Regionals

We have 3 new guys – Tyra_Nid, Fortis and Karnov. Good luck guys!

Bmilner’s Nurgle are probably the strongest team to start the season, but Nurgle take a while to get going so anyone can take out reggies.

Bobs has had basically the perfect trial of blood for lizards.

Thanks to Faulcon for providing the filler.

Last edited by Tomay on %b %15, %2013 - %06:%Oct; edited 1 time in total
Tomay

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 05:22 Reply with quote Back to top

So basically the admins have been thinking about potential changes to SWL's structure (Reggies, Conferences, Prem with 8 teams in each group).

This is due to a few factors, including our numbers dropping below 40 recently and the fact that CRP is a little easier on team building in general (cash reserves, no ageing, inducements, etc.)

So we are thinking we MIGHT change it up. Operative word = might.

Also heading into next year we are open for new suggestions, so feel free to let us know, we are open to ideas.

Finally, If there is anyone out there who has knowledge of bbcode, we would like to jazz up our group page. If you want to volunteer to help, that'd be awesome.

Cheers guys.

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 07:23 Reply with quote Back to top

Suggestion for new structure: Give me a 10 point headstart every season? Razz

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 09:50 Reply with quote Back to top

Premier as normal
Conferences - Heavy medium lightweight sorted by TV, top 8 TV's in heavy next 8 medium etc
Promotion top 2 from heavy & best from medium and light go up to prem
No reggies
Bottom 4 from prem relegate as normal.
Would make a much tighter battle for spots and maybe ease the pain for lower TV teams a little who sometimes get smushed by very high tv teams currently.
Would give roughly 60TV range heavy, 30TV middle and 20TV light as teams stand now.

Only idea I can think of so far.

Semitence

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 14:26 Reply with quote Back to top

TV Caps?
ClayInfinity

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 14:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Semitence wrote:
TV Caps?

For the love of god no... in CRP there is no reason for this. To cut TV and "de-build" your team for the sake of an arbitrary Round 1 cap is not idea.

If you want a 3000TV team, go ahead, I will take 1.5M in inducements against you anyday Smile
oryx

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 16:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Since I left SWL I've been hunting around for another league closer to my normal waking hours. Nowhere else is quite the same (most of you already know this), but I have been having a complete and utter blast in NBFL. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's set up like the NFL - 8 divisions of 4, and they play each other (we switch it up from season to season, so the same divisions aren't always playing each other).

The seasons run in 14 game cycles. So say I'm in a div with clay, tomay, and faulc, series 1 I'll play all 3 of them plus another division of opponents (luo, semitence, chavo, and obm, perhaps), and then for hte second series I play clay, tomay, and faulc again, plus a different division of opponents (say, bobs, daudy, dc, and erikekers). Then there's a playoff structure - I haven't experienced that part yet!

Anyway it's a lot of fun for me - it's great to have division rivalries, and it creates a lot of incentive to kill annoying players in your division, since you're playing those teams twice as often as others. It also gives you some control over how you play - if you like hardcore action, you can migrate to the rough division, and if you're mostly having fun and aren't as good, you can try to get in a generally softer division.

I also like it because often, the only time I get to play the best players in the league is when I'm getting thrashed in prem. In this format, it's rare that you'll have a really grueling schedule of super good players and very hardcore teams (if the divisions are well balanced, that is).

I've also really enjoyed the building season and the draft - each player can "build" to 6 spps between seasons, and you get to draft a player from the college themed NCBB league - it's definitely kind of weird in one way, but it prevents multi-season downward spirals a la Bobs' high elves. It gives teams like lizards a reasonable chance at a comeback between seasons, but fast developing teams like elves are still very competitive because they develop *so fast*, especially when all the linos have dodge or block.

Just putting some thoughts out there - after years of playing tiered leagues (which I enjoyed thoroughly!) I'm absolutely surprised at how much I'm enjoying this new format. Just throwing ideas out there!
oryx

Post   Posted: Oct 03, 2013 - 17:18 Reply with quote Back to top

Since I left SWL I've been hunting around for another league closer to my normal waking hours. Nowhere else is quite the same (most of you already know this), but I have been having a complete and utter blast in NBFL. For those of you who aren't familiar with it, it's set up like the NFL - 8 divisions of 4, and they play each other (we switch it up from season to season, so the same divisions aren't always playing each other).

The seasons run in 14 game cycles. So say I'm in a div with clay, tomay, and faulc, series 1 I'll play all 3 of them plus another division of opponents (luo, semitence, chavo, and obm, perhaps), and then for hte second series I play clay, tomay, and faulc again, plus a different division of opponents (say, bobs, daudy, dc, and erikekers). Then there's a playoff structure - I haven't experienced that part yet!

Anyway it's a lot of fun for me - it's great to have division rivalries, and it creates a lot of incentive to kill annoying players in your division, since you're playing those teams twice as often as others. It also gives you some control over how you play - if you like hardcore action, you can migrate to the rough division, and if you're mostly having fun and aren't as good, you can try to get in a generally softer division.

I also like it because often, the only time I get to play the best players in the league is when I'm getting thrashed in prem. In this format, it's rare that you'll have a really grueling schedule of super good players and very hardcore teams (if the divisions are well balanced, that is).

I've also really enjoyed the building season and the draft - each player can "build" to 6 spps between seasons, and you get to draft a player from the college themed NCBB league - it's definitely kind of weird in one way, but it prevents multi-season downward spirals a la Bobs' high elves. It gives teams like lizards a reasonable chance at a comeback between seasons, but fast developing teams like elves are still very competitive because they develop *so fast*, especially when all the linos have dodge or block.

After years of playing tiered leagues (which I enjoyed thoroughly!) I'm absolutely surprised at how much I'm enjoying this new format. Just throwing ideas out there!
Tomay

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2013 - 07:35 Reply with quote Back to top

My idea was to restructure it in the following way:

* Remove Reggies
* Increase the Trial of Blood Tournament Weight Restriction to 130.
* Have 1 premier division and 2 conferences.
* 7 rounds of bloodbowl. Prem coaches play everyone. Conf coaches play a random 7 (depending on the conference size).
* Top 2 in premier remain, bottom 6 relegated.
* Top 3 of conferences promoted.

So for example if we have 38 players we would have a premier division with 8 teams, and 2 conferences with 15 teams each. You would play 7 random teams out of these and the top 3 from each conference would be promoted as normal.

I think by increasing the turnover in the Premier division we would see more of a mixed bag, but I am not 100% about this. It could remain top 4 quite easily.

Some people would get tougher draws, but in the end it would be just as much luck involved as the way we structure it now as to who you draw. In the end i expect the better teams and coaches will end up being promoted, but a few lucky ones might sneak through - which i think is fine.

Due to the structure, conferences would only require minimal rebalancing and many teams would remain in the same conference. This could potentially create rivalries and whatnot, but with the random draw you wouldn't be playing the same team each season.

Some teams coming straight from the draft might have a tough time of it, but with the CRP rules, its not too hard for any team to compete in each game or to get going.

This will also allow more flexibility with drops as far as requiring fillers and the impact it has on a conference as you're less likely to have 2 byes.

Discuss...

Oh, we're still looking for a bbcode volunteer.

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2013 - 11:03 Reply with quote Back to top

Sounds cool.
Foad

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2013 - 11:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Tomay wrote:
My idea was to restructure it in the following way:

* Remove Reggies
* 7 rounds of bloodbowl. Prem coaches play everyone. Conf coaches play a random 7 (depending on the conference size).
* Top 2 in premier remain, bottom 6 relegated.
* Top 3 of conferences promoted.

Whilst I don't think there is anything wrong with what we have, I actually this model has alot of merit.

That said, it opens the draw up to "Dream runs" and "Nightmare schedules", which isn't an optimal test of skill. A random draw is good, but some semi equitable balancing should be in place (perhaps SWL seedings?).

The WIL have an interesting model, with the Premier league have 9 rounds (10 teams), and conferences/reggies having 7 rounds (8 teams) with 2 rounds of playoffs as required.

This could easily mitigate any marginal inequities of the draw, with people who are "hard done by" given more of a chance to win promotion on the pitch.

Based on Tomay's model, I would propose:
* Remove Reggies
* 9 rounds of bloodbowl. Prem coaches play everyone. Conf coaches play a random/seeded 7 (depending on the conference size).
* Top 5 in premier remain, bottom 5 relegated.
* Top 2 of conference promoted.
* 3rd & 4th in each conference play off for final wildcard.

This would set for a 9 week season, which with trial and down time we kind of already have.

Only the premier teams, and the playoffs teams are active in the final 2 weeks, which would give a real "finals" excitement. For everyone else - there's fringe and the trials.

Thoughts?

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2013 - 11:19 Reply with quote Back to top

If we were dead against extending premier to 9 weeks, you could easily make the playoffs:

Conf A 3rd v Conf B 4th (Winner plays 4th placed Premier team)
Conf B 3rd v Conf A 4th (Winner plays 5th placed Premier team)

Post   Posted: Oct 04, 2013 - 12:03 Reply with quote Back to top

I have thought about the WIL structure in the past and infact talked about it in depth with Erikekers.

The trouble with a 9 week season is that it makes it more difficult for less consistent and more fragile teams to put a run together. For example, wood elves have a tougher time keeping competitive for 9 rounds than say Chaos Dwarves.

The other thing is that it could result in burnout.

That said, the positives you pointed out are all valid.

Jump to: