40 coaches online • Server time: 16:44
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post SWL Season 100!goto Post Gnome Roster - how a...goto Post Problem to organize ...
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
Poll
Is CLAWPOMB really a problem?
Yes, absolutley
55%
 55%  [ 464 ]
No, Chaos Dwarfs Disagree
20%
 20%  [ 174 ]
Still Haven't Decided
8%
 8%  [ 75 ]
Pie!
15%
 15%  [ 127 ]
Total Votes : 840

Balle2000

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2015 - 21:02 Reply with quote Back to top

Aequitas wrote:
Damn elf players still wanting to take the blood out of Blood Bowl.

What? That's not fair, I think no other race brings more blood to the blood bowl pitches than the Elven kind. They're the experts and we should listen. We cannot let the bulls manage the rodeo, can we...

Putting the romantic in necromantic since 2010
bghandras

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2015 - 21:42 Reply with quote Back to top

...unless bullcentaurs Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2015 - 21:48 Reply with quote Back to top

WE BACK!

page 40!

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2015 - 22:32 Reply with quote Back to top

its good to know this page is here to go have a rant after a particularly bad game.

Someone had a novel idea for piling on which actually tickled my fancy. So you can pile on after rolling armour to add your St- their St to the armour roll (yes armour only).

So if your S4 vs a S3 then its +1.

What this does is remove its effectiveness in say chaos dwarves and dwarves but makes it cool for black orcs, saurii and big guys. chaos still benefit but mainly on their warriors not their beastmen etc.etc. It also makes it situation specific (like hunting stunties)

I thought it was a cool new spin on the skill, which actually has a lot in common with the old mechanic of the skill
mrt1212

Post   Posted: Aug 07, 2015 - 22:52 Reply with quote Back to top

Human Blitzers would murder you in your sleep for that idea. They'd have to given you nerfing PO and making it impossible for them to do so in game.
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 01:27 Reply with quote Back to top

Balle2000 wrote:
Aequitas wrote:
Damn elf players still wanting to take the blood out of Blood Bowl.

What? That's not fair, I think no other race brings more blood to the blood bowl pitches than the Elven kind. They're the experts and we should listen. We cannot let the bulls manage the rodeo, can we...

You're meat for the meat grinder, nothing more. Smile

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 01:45 Reply with quote Back to top

I know people have mentioned buffing fouling in this thread as a way to make piling on less of a go-to option that makes your player safer.

Maybe make it so that a player who piles on provides opposing players a +1/+1 bonus to fouls againt them, ala dirty player?
Aequitas

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 01:59 Reply with quote Back to top

SquirrelDude wrote:

Maybe make it so that a player who piles on provides opposing players a +1/+1 bonus to fouls againt them, ala dirty player?

I like where you're going with this.

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 03:24 Reply with quote Back to top

I really think that piling on would be fixed with this following simple rule change while remaining interesting:

"Piling On can only be used on a block action, not a blitz action".

This is the same thing for multiple tackle. It means that you can use skill to avoid it and it takes skill to use it effectively.

Oscar Wilde
koadah

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 03:54 Reply with quote Back to top

Grod wrote:
I really think that piling on would be fixed with this following simple rule change while remaining interesting:

This is the same thing for multiple tackle. It means that you can use skill to avoid it and it takes skill to use it effectively.

Great from a balance point of view. But horrible from a fluff view.

Blitz is exactly when you would be most likely to cause decent damage from piling on due to your momentum.

Without a blitz piling on would look kinda 'fake' and be more likely to result in a foul & sending off.

Gottta love piling on

Post   Posted: Aug 09, 2015 - 08:31 Reply with quote Back to top

@Grumpsh, armour rolls, +ST, -ST, +1. So you can have +1 at 3 v 3 and it's not completely useless to the mid-size teams.

Gets a reasonable upgrade to casualty rates (rather than nearly tripling them), always gets a stun (you should only need to use it if it helps) so it's not tactically crippling, and still makes a bit of a killstack that helps win the game but doesn't constantly ruin the low AV teams with the injury rerolls. And you can't pile on against a tree unless you are one.

Khemri/Undead/Ogre would still like it, but they don't have Claw, so no big deal, balance them up against Chaos a bit at higher TV. Probably best for Chaos Pact, but lying down with negatrait Big Guys has it's own special disadvantages.

Though I'd put Claw back to +2 on armour rolls too. Encourage people to go for AV 10, do something to the 'Zons and Norse and the rest, make it overkill against most teams to have PO and Claw at the same time. Or just ban taking both of them together like Frenzy and Grab.

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2015 - 15:05 Reply with quote Back to top

So, after playing numerous unpleasant games against CPOMBers, when will this combo get nerfed?
tmoila

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2015 - 16:01 Reply with quote Back to top

I guess when someone comes up with a working solution to making a better system.

If it ever comes down to it, I would speculate it would have something to do with changing Piling On on.

Post   Posted: Aug 15, 2015 - 16:13 Reply with quote Back to top

Approximately never. The rules committee doesn't even exist any more, IIRC, and they thought this was a good idea for some reason. My poor trees. Smile

Is there a good discussion in the meanwhile of tactics for facing the killstack? Here's my ideas.

They're basically playing a numbers game to get anywhere (for the WMD type teams), so the obvious tricks include dodging away, even with AG 2, because that doesn't hurt as much as the CPOMB. Pushing the ones with the full stack away and not following up. Especially the horrors with Jump Up. Blocking a weaker foe to follow up away from the CPOMB.

And really, have a Dirty Player, and use them! PO gets the foul, every round, because being sent off is just safer than getting blocked again. Don't foul the Jump Up though, unless it's a sure thing. Or do, but know it's risky. That'll put a lot of coaches off using it, no one likes giving away free armour rolls on super stars.

And while you're at it, run some players forward and lob the ball down field, inaccurate is just fine, making them run about the place means they get much less blocking done, which keeps you safe.

If they've got the ball securely, leave them to it. Really, they'll just suck you in and kill you all. They're going to score once they get the cage up, the trick is surviving it, and picking off any loose players. If they desert the cage and come after you, work on winning the fights you can and dodging off the ones you can't.

Oddly enough they're some of the easier cages to break, often made of unskilled beastmen.

Ideally, give them 1 blitz per round, and that's that. +3 blocks on your kicks. You'll get some rounds where they get a few, but CPOMB isn't magic if you only give them ~25 blocks a game.

Finally, don't stand up. There's no injury reroll on a foul, they only get one per turn, and you will on average win the numbers game by being fouled. If they've got the ball, and you probably can't stop it, the cost of trying is just not worth it.

And in counter to all that, just bash them. They love running at you and giving you some hits, so take them. Make those 1d blocks and push them off, and if you get some down then pick a juicy one and foul it. For most teams bashing them first is more productive than a dodge. If you've got block, make the -2d blocks too. Just never initiate, never move into a TZ, other than to dodge through.

Wrestlers and wonderful for that, drag 'em down and foul, like you're netters and clubbers.

Teams with just the one killstack, those players you hunt. Pretend they've got the ball and work on getting it off them. People hiding their one POMBer in a cage is hilarious.

/disclaimer, fantasy football is fun, but I'm not good at it. All the good coaches just take CPOMB. Smile
DrDiscoStu

Post   Posted: Sep 09, 2015 - 09:46 Reply with quote Back to top

koadah wrote:
Grod wrote:

Great from a balance point of view. But horrible from a fluff view.

Dunno about that, you could look at it from a time point, i.e. a player doesn't have time in a single action to move AND hit AND pile on. two of the three is okay.

The Black Pearl Bounty-Board.

GUARD CONQUERS ALL!
 Jump to: