51 coaches online • Server time: 20:03
Forum Chat
Recent Forum Topics goto Post Roster Tiersgoto Post Gnomes are trashgoto Post Cindy is back?
SearchSearch 
View previous topic Log in to check your private messages View next topic
stargzrrag

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 03:57 Reply with quote Back to top

Funny, I thought skill selection was part of being a coach. I've played in random skill leagues and even really good players get hosed, if they don't pick decent skills.

The OTS guys that create the bad reputation are the people who only field them on offence. They ruin it.

What I don't see is a reason we are talking about this again.
Wombats

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 04:05 Reply with quote Back to top

/me slaps star around the head with a bewildered trout

'cos I'm at work and SQL ain't that interesting.

First one to a thousand posts gets to crow about it in their sig!

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 04:08 Reply with quote Back to top

Wombats: Hell, I know I'm in the minority. I still like 3rd edition rules. Probably cos I hate changing rules all the time. I'm not a great strategist, and by the time I find a strategy that I like, Jervis twists all the rules on me... Then again, player turnover was usually not a problem back then.

More importantly, I like to play opponents that I get along with. That's why I don't mind Mully beating me (up) all the time...
Wombats

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 04:17 Reply with quote Back to top

I like the changing rules although those new skills like Fend are overcomplicated tripe. At least Grapple will be fun.

LRB really got me back into BB - I loves it, precious.

Constant changes would be OK done by BBRC, pity Jervis is running the circus.

P.S. This is quite amusing: http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=2616

And go and post feedback on the new Lizardman Guide:
http://fumbbl.com/index.php?name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=3317
I want to wrap that baby up soon.

Notice the distinct lack of one turner builds... Razz

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 13:29 Reply with quote Back to top

Wombats

Ignore the teams I play against my wife as she is learning and if you notice the more she plays the more games she eventually wins.

Early on I can beat a Skaven team with halflings and have shown her the weakest to the strongest teams. <shrug>

Look at my faction Skaven and nit pick them. Razz

Someone eventually thinks 1-turners, Stalling, Claws, Razor Sharp Claws, and Dirty Player are cheesy and unfair.

None of you would play a Chaos Team with 5 or more Claws with some Razor Sharp Claws and Mighty Blows mixed in with a Skaven team (one that you planned on keeping and liked) of equal strength. And you and I both know why. Wink

So its just as cheesy.
Topper

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 14:31 Reply with quote Back to top

Man, Man, Man.
A good coach doesn´t use one-turners.
That´s the silliest I have ever heard. First of all, ALL good coaches can one-turn with a bit of luck through subsequent pushing.
True that involves some skill, but I have stopped several real 1-turners by positioning my defence right.
But if u, like I, play to make a team that can cope with ANY opponent, u need all kind of players.
And of course, I play with both 1-turners and claws.
It´s about maximizing ur skills.
I allways go for teams in balance, and a single RSC/claw player is not upsetting to that, however 10 of such guys are.
And to those of u who claim, that a good coach doesn´t use the options in front of him..........
I´d say reverse it, A good coach does, a bad one doesn´t. That includes fouling, one-turning, stalling, RSC/claw/MB etc.
Maximize the strenghts of ur team, meanwhile u try to minimize ur weaknesses.
hevonen

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 14:48 Reply with quote Back to top

So what u are saying is that u arent a good coach urself ? Since u have 1 turners on ur wood elf team....
To me u make no sence really.

My oppinion is that poeple should make their exactly like they want, thats what creates the diversity and makes this game great, that so many teams are different and makes each game unique. 1 turners.. sure use them, same with claws etc, its all part of the game. and the bullshit about being a bad coach just because u have a one turners is just lame to me. it makes it easier but since there are random factors in this game nothing is certain. finnally all coaches get the oppotunity to show that they are better coaches by beating the 1 turner coach , aight ? or thats too easy since the one turnr coach of course suck. or something.
Lord-Willi

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:26 Reply with quote Back to top

what is the point about 1 Turners ?
It has nothing to do whether u are a good coach or not, early in the
Game 1 Turn scores a hell of crap. When i get the first drive and do
my one turn TD against a strong Team, i will get beaten down to hell
cause i will have to set up my players one turn after the other.
1 Turners will never win you the game as long as the Rest of your team is strong enough to keep him alive and to stop the others to score...

So whenever you roll ma +1 twice in a row you will make your Skaven, Wood Elf or any MA 8 Guy a 1 Turner, what is the Deal ? 3 Rolls are wasted just to get that done, if you set up clever he has to make 3 dodges to score or to leap over your guys which makes it at least somewhat hard to score (impossible for me not to roll a 1 for 5 dice rolls) Smile
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:39 Reply with quote Back to top

One turners are really dull to play with and against
They suck up lots of the teams exp leaving a very weak side
If they're left on the pitch for longer than 1 turn kiss them goodbye
If you mess it up you've just given the ball to your opponent (cheers)
It takes no skill judgement, or ability to score with them
You dont get the warm happy glow from playing well and winning

Claw, Rsc is overpowered and kills teams.
Winning against an opponent whos only fielding half a team is pretty dull
Its hard to get games because no one wants to play you for obvious reasons.

Hmm well thats the longest list I can think of.
I wonder why the vault removes rsc but still allows one turn gutter runners Confused
How odd. Ah well for the moment I dont care. Play anyone its fun that way. Its also really funny when you kill that one turner/claw rsc player Twisted Evil
Mezir

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:45 Reply with quote Back to top

Vault removes RSC and removes the +1 MA from VLL (hooray!). That last bit means you actually need to roll an MA increase to get a one-turner.

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:47 Reply with quote Back to top

Still not too unlikely though. What ever happened to the idea of giving gutter runners MA8 and sprint?

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:52 Reply with quote Back to top

The vault removes rsc because it is making PO just as good.
Glomp

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 17:59 Reply with quote Back to top

Ah well at least po wont be a dead skill pick anymore. Break out the dirty players!!! Twisted Evil

Post   Posted: Aug 26, 2004 - 23:14 Reply with quote Back to top

It's easy to get OTS without VLL or sprint Smile http://fumbbl.com/FUMBBL.php?page=player&player_id=1132893

Topper,
Quote:

And to those of u who claim, that a good coach doesn´t use the options in front of him..........
I´d say reverse it, A good coach does, a bad one doesn´t. That includes fouling, one-turning, stalling, RSC/claw/MB etc.
Maximize the strenghts of ur team, meanwhile u try to minimize ur weaknesses.

I totally agree. Plainly put, but sums it all up.
Topper

Post   Posted: Aug 27, 2004 - 00:37 Reply with quote Back to top

hevonen wrote:
So what u are saying is that u arent a good coach urself ? Since u have 1 turners on ur wood elf team....
To me u make no sence really.

Read my post again, Hevonen.
I say that any good coach uses the options he is given for that team.
And i say that it´s a silly statement to say that only bad coaches uses one-turners.
Just to clatify things.
 Jump to: